BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #397
Grb2nd
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i/ 2011 135i / 2013 1

Hello All - Long time listener, first time caller.....

Took delivery of my 3rd "1" last week - an Alpine White 135is. Loving the exhaust and extra ponies that came with it. The DCT shift timing, especially on the downshifts are noticeably crisper and spirited.

Aside from an improperly calibrated steering angle sensor that arose on the ride home from the dealership, the new "relationship" has been delightful.

My previous 4 Bavarian hot rods black in color, so I gave Alpine White a chance. Two full days of exterior prep, with finishing touches by our friends at Zaino, really made the white "pop" more than anticipated.

Below are a few quick pics....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #398
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Very nice! Not a white fan, but I am enjoying the extra "pop".

Welcome and enjoy!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #399
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Looking great! I've never been a fan of white, but something about the "is" in alpine white looks very crisp and nice.

Not sure if it's just the lighting or not, but are the windows tinted in that last picture? If so, just curious how dark you went.

Also, as a previous 2008 135i owner myself, I'm curious to hear what you think comparing your is to perhaps some of the previous "ones" you've had. I know mostly the differences are just cosmetic, but wondering if you notice any real difference between N54 vs N55 engine, how shockingly different that exhaust note is to you, and sounds like you're loving the DCT compared to the old steptronic.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #400
meg180
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM G80 M3

looks great
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #401
Grb2nd
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i/ 2011 135i / 2013 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Looking great! I've never been a fan of white, but something about the "is" in alpine white looks very crisp and nice.

Not sure if it's just the lighting or not, but are the windows tinted in that last picture? If so, just curious how dark you went.

Also, as a previous 2008 135i owner myself, I'm curious to hear what you think comparing your is to perhaps some of the previous "ones" you've had. I know mostly the differences are just cosmetic, but wondering if you notice any real difference between N54 vs N55 engine, how shockingly different that exhaust note is to you, and sounds like you're loving the DCT compared to the old steptronic.
Thanks for the kind words! Good eye.... the first two photos were taken prior to tint; the third photo was post tint. I went dark this time...5% all the way around including the sunroof and 55% on the front windshield. The 55% on the front glass, albeit it subtle in number, really makes a big difference - both in exterior aesthetics as well as reducing the interior glare on those sunny Carolina afternoons.

I had an 08 steptronic with the N54 and a 2011 DCT with the N55 power plant... Going from the steptronic to the DCT was a MEGA upgrade that initially masked the differences between the N54 and N55, but as the novelty of the DCT wore off, the engine differences soon became apparent.

As for the exhaust on the new 135is, I sincerely feel it is as close to the perfect harmonics as possible - in my opinion. Subtle and tasteful, yet throaty and full of gurgle when need be. Really enjoying the sounds more than I anticipated.

Below are pics of my '11 and '08
Attached Images

Last edited by Grb2nd; 03-21-2013 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #402
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Thanks for your insight, though of course it would have been even better if you said you don't notice any differences between the N54 and N55. =P

I'm with you on the tint, too. It seems to change the entire character of the car. With my old one, before the tint it just seemed like a nice passenger car. After the tint, it just looked like a mean bad ass, if that makes sense. I had gone with a 30% ceramic tint, which was about as dark as I wanted to go, especially with annoying cops out here who love to give tint and no front plate tickets. I'll probably go the same on the new "is" once it gets here.

You missing the black at all? It seems like you don't get much of the benefits of the "is" package either if you go with a black.

They all look great and looks like we'll both have one of the first 135s and one of the last, too, so was great they made that new 135is. The differences, while subtle, really set it off and make them look stunning.

No more 1's for you! ha!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #403
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Beautiful sir. I'm a huge alpine white fan as that's what I have also. Enjoy her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grb2nd View Post
Hello All - Long time listener, first time caller.....

Took delivery of my 3rd "1" last week - an Alpine White 135is. Loving the exhaust and extra ponies that came with it. The DCT shift timing, especially on the downshifts are noticeably crisper and spirited.

Aside from an improperly calibrated steering angle sensor that arose on the ride home from the dealership, the new "relationship" has been delightful.

My previous 4 Bavarian hot rods black in color, so I gave Alpine White a chance. Two full days of exterior prep, with finishing touches by our friends at Zaino, really made the white "pop" more than anticipated.

Below are a few quick pics....

2013 BMW 135i Alpine white/coral red JB4 stage 2/ AFE stage 2 sealed intake box/ VRSF 3.5 inch catless dp/ Dinan exhaust/ Alpine V3 6000k HID angel eyes/ JB speed AW rear lip spoiler/ OEM mud flaps. ER charge pipe/ VRSF 7 inch FMIC forge star CF5s 19x8.5 and 19x9
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #404
Joaco135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section147 View Post
Copy that. Stand-alone option $$$ for the 313s from BMW direct is crazy. And you're right, the PPK + the PE + the 313s
all add up to a nice "bargain" package on the is. When I got my '12, there obviously wasn't an is available so I've ended
up getting all of those things a la carte. Pricey, but worth it IMO. Gotta have your car the way you like it!
The only items that make the "is" an "is" are the PPK + PE, the rest comes like that as a package called Sports Plus edition that other countries like UK, Australia, etc. BMW NA just add the PPK(Stage2), the PE and the little "s" at the end of the 135i. The Sport Plus comes with the Blacklines taillights that we don't get because they are not DOT approved . The whole package is worth the extra $$
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #405
NavyChop93
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is Convertible

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
My Carbon Black 135is Convertible Beauty Has Arrived!

Hi Everyone,

After what felt like an interminable wait, my 135is convertible arrived on Thursday evening! I wanted to accrue a few pictures showcasing carbon blacks chameleon qualities before crafting a post. For those considering carbon black, I'd highly recommend it.

Specs:
2013 135is
6MT
Carbon Black (CB) exterior, black interior
Premium Package
Heated Seats
Auto Hi-Beams

Initial Impressions:
- Wicked car! Wow!!! OMG!!! Is she really mine? Simply sublime! What a machine!
- So this is my first BMW. Never thought I'd own one, let alone a new one, let alone a 135is...even when the "is" was first announced, I thought it was some other guy that would order that model. I still can't believe she's mine. Suffice it to say, bowled over by the experience to date.

Regarding Options:
(1) Love the 6MT! While I respect that the dual clutch offers fractionally better performance and that a 6MT is mostly impractical in dense-metro areas for a daily commuter, I love…love…love the shifting experience with the 6MT.
(2) Sound system, pleased with the stock setup. If you are a true audiophile, best to avoid buyer's regret and get the HK, but easy enough to find 1-ers with both systems in dealer's lots to do a sound check for yourself.
(3) Navigation: Not missing the tech package yet and I like the clean dash. A matter of preference for sure, but, as I've said elsewhere, if cash is a concern, I'd get an "is" without tech over a 135i with tech every day of the week.
(4) Sport Package: Included in the "is" package, but for those considering other 1-ers, get this package! The seats are wonderful and the suspension is still compliant enough over bumps. I’m a huge fan of shadow-line trim too.
(5) Auto High-Beams: The best $250 I will have ever spent. So impressive how the system switches from low to high, worked perfectly on a 20 mile country loop last night.
(6) I pre-ordered WeatherTech floor mats...good call for wintry or muddy climates. Very impressed, unscrew the velcro fasteners, screw in the inserts provided...perfect fit and good coverage for the slop.

Driving Impressions:
(1) What a feline! Turbine-like power delivery, so pleased to have the N55...wow; ample torque all over the rev range, what a temptress. Can anyone recommend a good radar/laser detector? ...I think I'm going to need one of those.
(2) PE: Lovely sound. Cold starts...invigorating...then mellows after 10-15 seconds. Can be modestly droning with resonance on uphill grades at low RPMs, but that's the only downside so far. Dropped the top in 34 degree weather today and can't wait to sample the sounds more when spring arrives. I’m shifting at the 4,000 RPM mark so haven't heard the full growl yet...1,030 miles to go.

Gripes:
(1) On ride home from dealer, warning lights appeared...the yellow break light and a yellow DCT/DSC light (the car with the skid marks but no "off" lettering). Pulled the manual to interpret that...DCT/DSC had failed.
(2) Convertible top made a disconcertingly loud clunk on the first two openings.
(3) Radio picking up a high-frequency feedback signal...very annoying and occurring all over the range but mostly after shifting into fifth gear.

Fixes:
(1) Went to New Country BMW this morning, warning lights caused by a faulty setup of some sort; tech re-calibrated a setting (sorry, lack of details here) and she was all set.
(2) On the first top drop at the dealer, third total, no more clunking noise, perhaps just break-in was needed.
(3) This one is interesting, seems to be a faulty clutch relay. Generally, no noise until shifting out of fourth and into fifth, as soon as the clutch is displaced the frequency interference commences through the speakers. Once back down into third or lower, it goes away. Always triggered by the clutch push though...odd. New clutch sensor going in on Monday. Hopefully that sound will go away.

Actuals vs. Specs:
(1) The rear break lights are not smoked as they were on the initial “is” photo releases; this was not a surprise to me, but be aware if you are ordering yours that the bright lenses are standard.
(2) My mirror caps are body colored and not blacked out. Many on this site are blacked-out, not sure if that is an exterior-color-driven item.
(3) Rear wheel size is 245, not 255 as listed on BMW’s spec page.

Thanks to those who posted before me, which helped me choose options and endure the wait from ordering to driving!

OK, picture time!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #406
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Congrats! Carbon black looks great! Love the 6MT and clean dash - completely agree with you on those two points.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #407
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Congrats. Looks fantastic.
OK, enough with the niceties...start modding!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #408
NavyChop93
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section147
Congrats. Looks fantastic.
OK, enough with the niceties...start modding!!!
Will do, I'm sure! If I can get the smoked tail-lamps with the carbon diffuser, I think that would go well with the CB.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #409
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135is (#363/586)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyChop93
Hi Everyone,

After what felt like an interminable wait, my 135is convertible arrived on Thursday evening! I wanted to accrue a few pictures showcasing carbon blacks chameleon qualities before crafting a post. For those considering carbon black, I'd highly recommend it.

Specs:
2013 135is
6MT
Carbon Black (CB) exterior, black interior
Premium Package
Heated Seats
Auto Hi-Beams

Initial Impressions:
- Wicked car! Wow!!! OMG!!! Is she really mine? Simply sublime! What a machine!
- So this is my first BMW. Never thought I'd own one, let alone a new one, let alone a 135is...even when the "is" was first announced, I thought it was some other guy that would order that model. I still can't believe she's mine. Suffice it to say, bowled over by the experience to date.

Regarding Options:
(1) Love the 6MT! While I respect that the dual clutch offers fractionally better performance and that a 6MT is mostly impractical in dense-metro areas for a daily commuter, I lovelovelove the shifting experience with the 6MT.
(2) Sound system, pleased with the stock setup. If you are a true audiophile, best to avoid buyer's regret and get the HK, but easy enough to find 1-ers with both systems in dealer's lots to do a sound check for yourself.
(3) Navigation: Not missing the tech package yet and I like the clean dash. A matter of preference for sure, but, as I've said elsewhere, if cash is a concern, I'd get an "is" without tech over a 135i with tech every day of the week.
(4) Sport Package: Included in the "is" package, but for those considering other 1-ers, get this package! The seats are wonderful and the suspension is still compliant enough over bumps. Im a huge fan of shadow-line trim too.
(5) Auto High-Beams: The best $250 I will have ever spent. So impressive how the system switches from low to high, worked perfectly on a 20 mile country loop last night.
(6) I pre-ordered WeatherTech floor mats...good call for wintry or muddy climates. Very impressed, unscrew the velcro fasteners, screw in the inserts provided...perfect fit and good coverage for the slop.

Driving Impressions:
(1) What a feline! Turbine-like power delivery, so pleased to have the N55...wow; ample torque all over the rev range, what a temptress. Can anyone recommend a good radar/laser detector? ...I think I'm going to need one of those.
(2) PE: Lovely sound. Cold starts...invigorating...then mellows after 10-15 seconds. Can be modestly droning with resonance on uphill grades at low RPMs, but that's the only downside so far. Dropped the top in 34 degree weather today and can't wait to sample the sounds more when spring arrives. Im shifting at the 4,000 RPM mark so haven't heard the full growl yet...1,030 miles to go.

Gripes:
(1) On ride home from dealer, warning lights appeared...the yellow break light and a yellow DCT/DSC light (the car with the skid marks but no "off" lettering). Pulled the manual to interpret that...DCT/DSC had failed.
(2) Convertible top made a disconcertingly loud clunk on the first two openings.
(3) Radio picking up a high-frequency feedback signal...very annoying and occurring all over the range but mostly after shifting into fifth gear.

Fixes:
(1) Went to New Country BMW this morning, warning lights caused by a faulty setup of some sort; tech re-calibrated a setting (sorry, lack of details here) and she was all set.
(2) On the first top drop at the dealer, third total, no more clunking noise, perhaps just break-in was needed.
(3) This one is interesting, seems to be a faulty clutch relay. Generally, no noise until shifting out of fourth and into fifth, as soon as the clutch is displaced the frequency interference commences through the speakers. Once back down into third or lower, it goes away. Always triggered by the clutch push though...odd. New clutch sensor going in on Monday. Hopefully that sound will go away.

Actuals vs. Specs:
(1) The rear break lights are not smoked as they were on the initial is photo releases; this was not a surprise to me, but be aware if you are ordering yours that the bright lenses are standard.
(2) My mirror caps are body colored and not blacked out. Many on this site are blacked-out, not sure if that is an exterior-color-driven item.
(3) Rear wheel size is 245, not 255 as listed on BMWs spec page.

Thanks to those who posted before me, which helped me choose options and endure the wait from ordering to driving!

OK, picture time!!!
Gorgeous, i saw your car in the lot on Thursday morning and took a look at it. Went again this morning to try and get a price on the carbon black w/ terra 135is coupe but I was informed it was sold good luck and congrats with your purchase.
SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #410
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaco135 View Post
The whole package is worth the extra $$
Umm thats basially the point he was making.

2013 BMW 135i Alpine white/coral red JB4 stage 2/ AFE stage 2 sealed intake box/ VRSF 3.5 inch catless dp/ Dinan exhaust/ Alpine V3 6000k HID angel eyes/ JB speed AW rear lip spoiler/ OEM mud flaps. ER charge pipe/ VRSF 7 inch FMIC forge star CF5s 19x8.5 and 19x9
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #411
eywflyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is DSB 6MT 269/613

Congrats Navychop, pics look great! Totally agree with your thoughts on the clean dash look, that's a major reason that I didn't get the nav. I love the 6MT too! I had a similar problem with the DSC light coming on, in my case it happened while still at the dealer about to do a test drive, they took it to service and fixed it in an hour or so. They were somewhat vague about the cause but sounded similar to your case, something about a calibration being off. Haven't seen the light again in any case.

Played a CD in my HK system for the first time today and it sounded great. I would highly recommend HK if you like listening to music in your car. The base stereo that came with my E46 wasn't very good, they may have improved somewhat since then but I feel that HK is well worth the additional cost.
      03-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #412
NavyChop93
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
135is Carbon Black with Teracotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAVELEK View Post
Gorgeous, i saw your car in the lot on Thursday morning and took a look at it. Went again this morning to try and get a price on the carbon black w/ terra 135is coupe but I was informed it was sold good luck and congrats with your purchase.
Thanks Agavelek!

I took pictures of that one too, had the sold sign on it. I figured it would be useful for anyone wanting to see that combination. Also, I left a note with the sales staff to pass to the buyer encouraging him or her to join the forum.

I had strongly considered a colored leather option, but in the end went with black to match the cloth top and not have too much going on with the car. In the coupe form, CB and Terra look pretty classy and will be very unique.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #413
NavyChop93
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eywflyer View Post
Congrats Navychop, pics look great! Totally agree with your thoughts on the clean dash look, that's a major reason that I didn't get the nav. I love the 6MT too! I had a similar problem with the DSC light coming on, in my case it happened while still at the dealer about to do a test drive, they took it to service and fixed it in an hour or so. They were somewhat vague about the cause but sounded similar to your case, something about a calibration being off. Haven't seen the light again in any case.

Played a CD in my HK system for the first time today and it sounded great. I would highly recommend HK if you like listening to music in your car. The base stereo that came with my E46 wasn't very good, they may have improved somewhat since then but I feel that HK is well worth the additional cost.
Thanks eywflyer! Would be neat to meet up some day, not sure if you are ever up in the CT area. Looks like we had a similar glitch with the car, oh well, teething issues. Keep rocking that HK system and the race is on to see who gets to 1,200 miles first...I'm thinking you'll take me on that one!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #414
meg180
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM G80 M3

NavyChop: Car looks fantastic. Loving the carbon black.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #415
drFUNK
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is LMB 6MT

@Grb2nd AW is looking good! The shadowline really sets it off.

@NavyChop93 I still haven't had a chance to see Carbon Black in person! I do like it in the pics I've seen here - yours included!

Last edited by drFUNK; 03-24-2013 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #416
NavyChop93
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drFUNK View Post
@Grb2nd AW is looking good! The shadowline really sets it off.

@NavyChop93 I still haven't had a chance to see Carbon Black in person! I do like it in the pics I've seen here - yours included!
Thanks! You'll be very pleased with LB, it's another striking and classy color. I'll look forward to your pictures!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 01:47 AM   #417
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyChop93

I took pictures of that one too, had the sold sign on it. I figured it would be useful for anyone wanting to see that combination. Also, I left a note with the sales staff to pass to the buyer encouraging him or her to join the forum.

I had strongly considered a colored leather option, but in the end went with black to match the cloth top and not have too much going on with the car. In the coupe form, CB and Terra look pretty classy and will be very unique.
What's interesting is that the carbon black with terra one on the showroom floor also didn't have the black side mirror caps. I wonder if the carbon black and black "is" models then end up being body colored?

Having seen a carbon black 135is in person, that color is beautiful and from certain angles it looks like black, but when you get it at the right angle or when the sun directly hits it on the corners, you can see the subtle blue coming through.

Then again, the 135is looks good in ANY color I think! I do wonder though if there is a single cashmere silver 135is out there though. Haven't seen pictures of a titanium silver one either, though someone did post their blue water metallic. Don't think I've seen any vermillion reds either come to think of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #418
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Did a spring semi-detail yesterday. I have some micro-swirling from washing over the last three months, but nothing that would make me want to embark on a full polish. So I just stripped the dealership wax and put one layer of the menzerna sealant and then one coat of Colinite Insulator Wax.

Then I put my 313s back on and went for a joyride. SO much better.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0