BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
Jimmythepage666
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 sgm 135i

Non RFT + H&R sway bars

I have limited knowledge about suspension and tires and would like your opinions/first hand experience with this...

I am considering getting some new tires (225/18 255/18 stock wheels) and the sway bars from H&R. I have read good things about the sway bars from H&R from a few posts. I was curious... Would getting wider tires and or sway bars help make the car more stable at high speed? Also would either or both mods give the car a heavier/better steering feel?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Wider tires will help with traction and cornering but the difference will not be night and day with just an increase in tire width. You will get more out of switching to a better performing compound than increasing the width. With that said, I would do both, increase width and switch to a stickier compound. You will love the Sways, they really improve turn in and make the car feel stable throughout the corner.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
supracg
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

I am definately thinking about getting the H&R front and rear, if it was just front I'd get hotchkis (cuz I really like them) but together I'd rather get the same brand and hotchkis doesnt have rears for the 1 ( i think).

Are people still having endlink issues because if I have to get upgraded endlinks plus the sways I mite as well just get some coilovers instead. Im afraid that even using the stock end-links after a while they would die too..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
Jimmythepage666
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 sgm 135i

I read somwhere else on the forum that its not a good idea to get both front and rear sway bars + coilovers/springs as it would result in unbalanced handling characteristics. Really I wanted to do a couple of simple mods to improve handling and high speed stability (straight line). I do plan on upgrading the compound. I know alot of people here favor the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs, but I recently saw a test on the tire rack that put the new Potenza re011's? ahead of the dunlops. Of course the Bridgestones are about $40 more per tire...
Appreciate 0