BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: What should I get: Coupe or Conv?
Coupe 46 61.33%
Convertible 29 38.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

03-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #23
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

i used to live in michigan, which has a summer that lasts 2 months. i'd never get a convert up north unless it was a 2nd car. here in florida, obviously i got the convert, which is a must have down here!!!
but its your ride, let us know what you decide!!! enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 09:47 PM   #24
NFexec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E91; '12 Z4 35i

Interesting how many of the "you choose a coupe" posts are from folks who live in warm (or warmish) parts. Those of us who experience winter blasts and still own convertibles do it because we love the top down experience. Yes - even in chilly weather. As has been pointed out you can put the side windows up and get the optional wind block, use the heated seats and crank up the heater and drive in below freezing weather if you want to. Yes - you can! If you aren't that much of a cold weather top down kind of guy, then you just limit the number of top down driving you can do. that's all. So as also has been posted, it is really up to you regarding how much you value the convertible driving experience. For me, even 6 months (although we have 7 months) of top down driving trumps not having ANY ability to drive those back twisties or just straight cruising with the wind in your hair and the sun on your face. GET THE VERT!

Doug
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 11:03 PM   #25
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

Dropping the top on a sunny day is a blast. You won't regret the convertible unless you're wanting to do the track/race thing - but then if you were you wouldn't be asking this in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #26
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

I cant believe how close the polls are. The 1series conv got a less than warm reception when it was revealed. Good Stuff!
      03-23-2009, 01:35 AM   #27
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
I cant believe how close the polls are. The 1series conv got a less than warm reception when it was revealed. Good Stuff!
It's already a given that the coupe is the more popular vehicle... so the poll shouldn't be about that... in case that was your intention. The poll should be interpretted to be about whether or not a member who likes the 'vert should consider getting one for himself given the fact that he lives in Toronto, Canada.

If the poll is reflective of advise for him, as opposed to a popularity vote, then it makes perfect sense.

So... the poll is theoretically flawed unless members consider that it's not a vote on which body style they prefer, but rather which one the member in Toronto should get.

Given the nature of posts and feedback, I'd say it is pretty clear that he is very interested in the 'vert. For that reason, I think he would second guess himself if he didn't get it.

TM
      03-23-2009, 08:20 AM   #28
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

Convert, and we live in Chicago. It really depends on what you want. I would rahter have one in Chicago, than believe it or not in the Valley of the Sun, Phoenix, where the sun will fry your brain. Ours is now at the Prep center, so getting close.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #29
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
What kind of modded cars have you lost against?!?!?! To this day, the 135i has some of the quickest in gear acceleration points.
Sorry to jack this thread.

These are the cars I've lost to:

- modified Nissan S14 (friend of a friends car, we raced a few times and he would pin at least 1-1.5 cars on me from 60-180km/hr)
- modified Nissan S15 (pinned 2 cars on me from 60-150km/hr)
- modified Holden Ute VE (raced him from a dig, I held him off to 100km/hr but after that he had about 5 car lengths to 180km/hr, if I raced him from 60km/hr I would never have had a chance)
- modified Holden Ute VY (about 1-2 car lengths when we got to 180km/hr, started at 80km/hr)
- modified Chrysler Crossfire SRT6 (mates car - only has an intake, we are dead even from 60km/hr-120km/hr and then he slowly pulls away, maybe a car length in it).
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #30
scrapper
Rep
Drives: chevy avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienDNA View Post
I'm curious. Why the heck are you driving an Avalanche if you live in downtown Toronto and work from home?
I just moved to downtown at the start of 09... lived outside the city.. and used the truck alot to do renos on my house.. but decided to try out the city life...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #31
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Well, you'll appreciate the city life in a 1 due to its size and maneouverability regardless of if its a vert or coupe.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #32
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaday51 View Post
The vert is plenty warm in a NY winter. And i'm bring my vert up to Syracuse this year when I go to college. Its all fine, you just need to ask your self this question. Are you willing to clean this off.

Those look like the stock wheels. I hope those are not the stock summer tires on the car. no way you would make it to the end of the driveway.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #33
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: gone 135 - Hello 1M!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
Those look like the stock wheels. I hope those are not the stock summer tires on the car. no way you would make it to the end of the driveway.

No I put my winter tires on the stock wheels. I lost two Bridgestones to potholes (no wheel damage). Decided to screw it and mount my winters.

I'm buying new summer wheels and tires.
      03-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #34
Bones13
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i BSM/Coral

I have owned 3 verts for the 20 years I have lived on the gulf coast. Miata, MZ3, and currently Lexus SC430. Our weather here is perfect for the 3 months of spring, and 3 months of fall for top down. Winter is pretty easy to do with a coat, hat, and heated seat. No snow down here, so thats not the issue. I currently have garage at home, and a personally paid for car cover (awning thing in the parking lot), which matters a lot in our sun, with the seagull droppings. Our sea gulls don't drop sea creature here thank goodness.

I am not getting a convertible this time though. It was the basal cell carcinoma that was removed from my shoulder that convinced me that I did not need a convertible this time around, and am settling for the sun roof. They said that I got that cancer from my life guard days as a teenager, but by the way, stay out of the sun now.

Heck, I don't even have that much hair anymore to have the wind in the hair feeling...

I love convertibles, I drive several times a day to different places, but the Miata top was the only one that I could put up and down quick enough to use easily. It was manual, and once my shoulder got strong enough, I did not even turn around, just reach back, yank it up, and clip the 2 fasteners, while holding down the window buttons. Took half the time of a power opener.

Sorry to ramble. An open car is a thing of wonder, especially at night.
Navigation/Premium Audio/USB/iPod
Heated Seats/Xenon/Bike Prep
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 12:29 AM   #35
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones13 View Post
... I love convertibles...
... An open car is a thing of wonder, especially at night.

TM
      03-24-2009, 01:02 AM   #36
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

If you have never had a vert, then you must, otherwise the coupe is very nice indeed.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 07:13 AM   #37
tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
Tagman's posts are the truest to this question. There are postives and negatives.

But it all comes down to "What do YOU want?". Living in SoFL, living for the sun and the outdoor air, nothing but the vert comes to mind. BUT, if I were living in Canada, then a coupe and hardtop would be my preference.

Heavy snow, ice, all the sand/salt abuse, it will take its toll on a ragtop over time. Nature is nature, physics is physics.

It is entirely YOUR preference. How much will you have the top down?
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)
A few more
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #38
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
What?

I've never had a vert before and it is way better than I ever thought it could be.

To the OP, we had a pretty bad winter here in Vancouver and it was cold and we had a ton of snow even by Toronto standards and the vehicle was just fine. Never noticed it being cold. Plus the heated seats are thermonuclear when on setting 3.

If you want to drive when it's cold I would suggest getting the wind deflector as it prevents the cold draft from hitting your neck from behind.

I would go for it if I were you.
But the whole point (in my mind) of paying the price premium for the 'vert is to be able to drop the top. In parts north, you're lucky if you can reasonably do that 5-6 months out of the year.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #39
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones13 View Post
I have owned 3 verts for the 20 years I have lived on the gulf coast.

I am not getting a convertible this time though. It was the basal cell carcinoma that was removed from my shoulder that convinced me that I did not need a convertible this time around, and am settling for the sun roof. They said that I got that cancer from my life guard days as a teenager, but by the way, stay out of the sun now.
You raise an interesting point as they didn't tell us about skin cancer in those days, did they!!

While I'm in a similar situation, I keep in close touch with my dermatologist, slather on 50+ sun block and enjoy my 128i cabrio & motorcycle. Luckily for the past 15 years, it's been only pre-cancerous lesions which are easily dealt with.

BTW, since you are avoiding the sun - you might get checked for any Vitamin D deficiency.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #40
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
But the whole point (in my mind) of paying the price premium for the 'vert is to be able to drop the top. In parts north, you're lucky if you can reasonably do that 5-6 months out of the year.
+1

I had the below Steel grey/Tanin red vert for 2.5 years. On days like the one when it was snapped there is no better vehicle, or feeling in the world than cruising with the top down. But here in the snow belt that's maybe 6 months out of the year. Yeah, you can drop it on semi-tolerable days the remaining months, but you're bundled up like Nanook of the North and you've got to crank the stereo in order to drown out the noise from the chattering of your teeth.

Verts are also extremely susceptible to rattles, and a modicum of cowl shake. You may not have rattles initially, but over the course of time and miles they seem to creep out of nowhere. The cowl shake is also something you sense as you become more intimate with the car, even though it is relatively minor.

For these reasons I just don't find them practical as a daily driver in the colder regions. God intended them to be used on virtually a daily basis, and in most areas you just can't do that.

My cabrio was snug with the top up, and I never had an issue with leaks. But the blind spots are killer, and they just don't have the structural rigidity of a coupe.

If you have the luxury of a 3rd or 4th car, then I honestly don't believe there is a better cab on the market than the 1er.

If I were back in my hometown of Monterey, CA, I would have a 128 cab in the stable no question.

But never again while I live here. I just can't get the true value out of them that I expect.

Last edited by IndyMike; 01-02-2018 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #41
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
It's all personal preference of course. Even if I could only have it top down for 5 to 6 months the premium is well worth it. In Toronto if you are a hardy individual you can go from the beginning of April to the end of October without a problem and even November depending on the rain.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #42
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Scrapper, how much do you have to drive? If you park it in a garage and can afford to leave it nestled away when the really crappy weather hits, the 'vert should be fine. I've seen as many 1er 'verts in Ottawa as I have coupes. When I lived in downtown Ottawa I had a Miata. It was rarely outside in the winter and was great fun in the summer.

On the other hand, I think the coupe is a better looking car than the 'vert. I've never really liked how the base of the top is integrated with the rear deck. It's a nice looking 'vert, but the Audi A4 'vert, for example looks much better, by comparison, with the top up.

While I would have some slight reservations with the 'vert as a year-'rounder, the coupe would be quite good, and looks better, IMO. And sun comes in through the sunroof.
      03-24-2009, 10:26 AM   #43
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Nothing quite like a drop-top on a sunny day. With the winter rains behind us I've had mine down more than up. But California is a topless state.

I'd probably get a coupe if I lived in Toronto.
Appreciate 0