09-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
TaigaTii
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

P3 Vent Gauge install - need help

To: Those who have installed the P3

It has been over a year since I received the vent gauge as part of the 1 Addicts group buy. Finally, today, I screwed up my courage to do the install on my 1M (I'm not very mechanically astute!).

The first task that I attempted was to remove the lower dash cover (undo 3X #20 torx screws) in anticipation of feeding the boost line through the firewall for a tap into the existing line between the diverter valves.

No matter how hard I tried I could not get the lower dash cover disengaged so that it could be lain down into the driver foot well (it's a LHD car). The cover appeared to be still really securely attached on the RHS where it butts up against the foot well side near the console. There did not appear to be any more screws holding it. I was afraid that I would break something if I really started to reef on the cover.

Unbelievable - this first task looked so simple?!

Any advice here would be most appreciated! Thanks.

Pete
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Its very hard to get that dash vent off/out of the dashboard. You have to really pull on it. Almost to the point that you think your gonna break something. At least that was my experience when I installed my euro headlight switch.

P3 Vent Boost Gauge Install
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=811756

euro headlight switch install...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209558
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
kellyzerx
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
If it's like the 135i, there may be a plastic center push pin fastener attaching the underdash piece to the trim piece on the transmission tunnel. If there is, pull the center pin out then pull the main part of the fastener out after that.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 04:46 AM   #4
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Try these from the mothership (BMW AG -TIS)

TIS 51 45 185 RA Verkleidung für Fußhebelwerk aus- und einbauen-ersetzen.pdf

TIS 51 45 270 RA Blende außen an Verkleidung für Instrumententafel unten links ab- und anbauen (.pdf
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
wjk_glynn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 C2S Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyzerx View Post
If it's like the 135i, there may be a plastic center push pin fastener attaching the underdash piece to the trim piece on the transmission tunnel. If there is, pull the center pin out then pull the main part of the fastener out after that.
Yup, I installed my P3 gauge this week and I encountered that same pin. Its not listed in the instructions...

But otherwise the instructions were fine.

Karl.
      09-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
TaigaTii
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

P3 Vent Gauge Install

Thanks everybody for helping me out with this install! The information that you provided was most helpful!

I did the install today and it took me more than two hours but less than four (I would never make it as a body man!). The installation instructions that P3 Car provided were fine as a general guide but for the neophyte on this sort of stuff more detail would have helped. Taking things apart (the panels and assemblies) was Ok but getting them back together correctly was a bit of a challenge and took some fiddling. Where to store the control box and excess wiring was a head scratcher. I taped the excess wiring together and velcro'd the control box to some metal in a bit of vacant space above the OBD port. All of this angst and pain has made me a better person.

So, I started the car and the gauge lit up. Wow - success. Now I only have to program the thing which looks like it will be easy.

Thanks again.

pete
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
wjk_glynn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 C2S Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaigaTii View Post
...I did the install today and it took me more than two hours but less than four ...Taking things apart (the panels and assemblies) was Ok but getting them back together correctly was a bit of a challenge and took some fiddling. Where to store the control box and excess wiring was a head scratcher...
As mentioned above, I installed mine a few days ago and I had all of the same experiences you describe

It's in, it's running, it's great.

Now I'm going through the "what max boost (for a stock-N54) am I actually getting" process... something I will expend way too much time noodling over.

Karl.