BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

PSS - did anyone not find them great?

I replaced all my tires with PSSs last week.

I've only done a few hundred miles so far, but am a bit concerned that I seem to have the TC light flashing way more than with the OEM fitment tyres that were nearly dead on the rear.

Did anyone else experience this? Did they take a while to get keyed in?
      08-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

It takes about 500 miles before they feel "good". At first they will feel VERY greasy and sloppy. I would not even try to do an WOT runs nor any panic braking. Give the tires some miles to wear off the release gel on the tire thread. Then they will feel much better.

Also... I run 2.3 bar and 2.8 bar tire pressures. That also makes the tires feel less "soft" plus I drive at high speeds often so I want better handling at those speeds.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by clived View Post

I've only done a few hundred miles so far, but am a bit concerned that I seem to have the TC light flashing way more than with the OEM fitment tyres that were nearly dead on the rear.

Sounds like something is wrong to me. Did you double check pressures with a different gauge, etc? The mold release should be well burned off by a couple hundred miles, and I was getting better traction vs OEM far before then. Not by a small amount, either...
      08-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:

Are you losing traction on acceleration or quick direction changes? What you might be getting is the additional squirm of the taller thread blocks compared to the shorter and stiffer worn blocks of the BMW PS2s. It took a few hundred to a thousand miles on mine before the PSS started giving me back the sharp tyre response that I had with the BMW PS2s. I attribute this improvement to wear.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I thought the tyre release agent was a different proposition these days and wore off very quickly (in other words, what Pete said ), but appreciate your experience Dackelone. I'm at about 350 miles, mostly motorway so far, so very gentle. But on acceleration - flash flash flash!

Pressures I will check - have in fact just bought a brand new gauge for this purpose.

mlhj - straight line acceleration
      08-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

On my first set of PS3's I was told to take it easy... not 10km after hitting the Autobahn do I roll upon a Ferrari Testarossa! Well.. in short order we were driving around 140 mph... and I had to bail out bc the tires felt VERY weird. The next day I drove to the Essen MotorShow (some 450 kms away) and only on my way home from there did my tires start to feel "normal".

This year (summer) I replaced my rears and drove to Stelvio to meet up with the otehr 1addicts. Same thing. Not until about 500 kms did my tires start to feel stable and normal. So... just take it easy until you have some miles and heat cycles into the new tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clived
I thought the tyre release agent was a different proposition these days and wore off very quickly (in other words, what Pete said ), but appreciate your experience Dackelone. I'm at about 350 miles, mostly motorway so far, so very gentle. But on acceleration - flash flash flash!

Pressures I will check - have in fact just bought a brand new gauge for this purpose.

mlhj - straight line acceleration
Put a bit more wear on them and they'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

As you wear out your old set, it will grip better in dry conditions. Do check the pressures, I run 36 fronts and 34 rear. You might also want to check your rear alignment. Currently running 1.5 degree toe in.

My TC flashes a lot less now with the PSS, and I was just thinking today how much better it grips. However, I did change to much lighter wheels at the same time so it might have an effect because the suspension works better.

My only complaint on the PSS is that it is noisier than the PS2s.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
As you wear out your old set, it will grip better in dry conditions. Do check the pressures, I run 36 fronts and 34 rear. You might also want to check your rear alignment. Currently running 1.5 degree toe in.

My TC flashes a lot less now with the PSS, and I was just thinking today how much better it grips. However, I did change to much lighter wheels at the same time so it might have an effect because the suspension works better.

My only complaint on the PSS is that it is noisier than the PS2s.
I'm finding the PSS noisier that the BMW PS2s too. They seem to produce quite a bit of resonance which I hear as a humming noise - my bearings are fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
VO 1M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

I would be interested if people already tried to Yokohama Advan Neova AD08?
The Supersports are good but I would appreciate some more dry-grip on the track.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #11
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO 1M View Post
The Supersports are good but I would appreciate some more dry-grip on the track.
AD08s don't have sufficient load ratings for OEM sizes unfortunately, and I don't wish to up-size. I think I'll be getting the brand new Dunlop Sportmaxx Race tyre for my ZCP wheels, which is meant to be better than the Michelin Cups tyres for track use and also for wet grip. PSS, however, is a great road tyre.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #12
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

OP: I replaced the PS2s with stock size PSS and never had nothing but exact opposite of what you experience. I also keep the pressures 36/34 like sparoz for routine driving conditions (driver only and in city).

The users who noticed more noise with the SS, are you guys with stock sizes like me? Cause I feel same or less noise with the PSS. I have to admit that I used the stock tires onnly 550 kms though and one thing they were not much worse than the PSS in general was the noise level.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #13
VO 1M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83
Quote:
AD08s don't have sufficient load ratings for OEM sizes unfortunately, and I don't wish to up-size. I think I'll be getting the brand new Dunlop Sportmaxx Race tyre for my ZCP wheels, which is meant to be better than the Michelin Cups tyres for track use and also for wet grip. PSS, however, is a great road tyre.
good point, I didn't check that. The Dunlop you mention seem to be really good but bloody expensive. In Germany far above 2000USD
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
OP: I replaced the PS2s with stock size PSS and never had nothing but exact opposite of what you experience. I also keep the pressures 36/34 like sparoz for routine driving conditions (driver only and in city).

The users who noticed more noise with the SS, are you guys with stock sizes like me? Cause I feel same or less noise with the PSS. I have to admit that I used the stock tires onnly 550 kms though and one thing they were not much worse than the PSS in general was the noise level.
OEM size.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #15
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
good point, I didn't check that. The Dunlop you mention seem to be really good but bloody expensive. In Germany far above 2000USD
It's reasonably priced over here in the UK.

Front:
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m55b0s336p...93Y_XL_MFS_TL_

Rear:
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m55b0s2172...98Y_XL_MFS_TL_

I have 2 sets of wheels. Currently running 219Ms with PSS for road use, and my ZCP wheels with PS2s have a small amount of thread left for track use. Will be experimenting with the Dunlops soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 01:58 AM   #16
VO 1M
Private First Class
Rep

that's a steal!!! thanks for the link. Regretting buying a set of 18s now as that tire is only in 19"
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #17
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Pressures checked - rears were 36 and 37, fronts were 35.5 and 37 (trust in local tyre place slightly dented...). Reset to 34 on the rear, 36 on the front. Quick test drive - certainly feels better. Slightly less hard ride for a start, and grip improved - I'm confident now that after another few hundred we'll be rocking.

Thanks all!
      08-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #18
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Pressures checked - rears were 36 and 37, fronts were 35.5 and 37 (trust in local tyre place slightly dented...). Reset to 34 on the rear, 36 on the front. Quick test drive - certainly feels better. Slightly less hard ride for a start, and grip improved - I'm confident now that after another few hundred we'll be rocking.

Thanks all!
Glad to hear that. Keep playing with pressures some time since your car has much more power and torque than stock, you may find another sweet spot. And don't forget that with all that Evolve added torque you will have more traction issues than stock whatever tire you go.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 02:41 AM   #19
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

I'm interested in this thread as my next mod will be a full set of PSS tyres, once my PS2's are worn out.

However, the pressures being mentioned (34psi rear and 36psi front), are these higher than the stock pressure ratings? I can't remember off the top of my head but as I am also running more power and torque I wonder if I should be increasing my pressures on the PS2's to the same?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 03:42 AM   #20
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
I'm interested in this thread as my next mod will be a full set of PSS tyres, once my PS2's are worn out.

However, the pressures being mentioned (34psi rear and 36psi front), are these higher than the stock pressure ratings? I can't remember off the top of my head but as I am also running more power and torque I wonder if I should be increasing my pressures on the PS2's to the same?
Tyre pressures are specific for each car, due to options (weight from HiFi, electric seats etc.) and country requirements. For example, Germany has 3 sets of tyre pressures, normal load, fully loaded and high speed. Even the springs vary between 1Ms - this is the same for all BMWs. Best is to follow what is on your placard. Increasing power of your car does not require increased pressures as the static weight remains the same. In fact, increasing tyre pressure for road use without a corresponding increase in weight, reduces the contact patch area, therefore exacerbating traction problems with increased power/torque.

However, when using road tyres on the track, pressures should be increased to a certain point to compensate for the soft tyre wall of a road tyre - this helps reduce tyre roll when cornering. But you have to balance the effect of air pressure on the contact patch area with tyre wall support. This is where track tyres are beneficial due to their stiffer sidewall, therefore do not need as much tyre pressure as a road tyre, and you can concentrate on controlling pressures to maximise the contact patch area and temperature distribution across the thread.

Last edited by mlhj83; 08-23-2012 at 03:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #21
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Best way to adjust tyre pressure is looking at how they wear out - it should be even wear across the tyre. That would be the correct pressure for usual driving style.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #22
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Best way to adjust tyre pressure is looking at how they wear out - it should be even wear across the tyre. That would be the correct pressure for usual driving style.
Or get a pyrometer.
Appreciate 0