BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
ersatzS2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Question for those who track their late-model bimmers...

A reason for buying a one series for my lovely wife is the prospect of borrowing it for the occasional track event. I figure I'll install some adjustable suspension pieces and use a dedicated wheel/tire set and she won't even notice.
So I impulsively ordered one up, and according to the handy tracker it should be built 2/7.
However I finally got around to reading some of the website info and the more I read the more I wonder about some limitations for serious driving. I can live with the sunroof and the no LSD is at least good for corner-exit discipline if not outright speed.

But what is with this 'dynamic brake control' system? It holds the car on hills, ok that's nice, (handbrake has worked fine too for 100 yrs) but it also says 'If you quickly pull your foot off the accelerator, it prepares to brake just as quickly.' uh-oh. Not sure I like having it thinking about what MY feet are doing. Does this mean it will keep me from left-foot braking for example? And what's with this 'If you're braking repeatedly, it adjusts to compensate for brake fade.' I'd like to know if I'm getting fade and make my own adjustments, thanks very much anyhow.

So curious if any of you are tracking 335s which I suppose must share these systems, and how these issues get resolved on the track?
      02-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
AwesomeBMW
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives:

I replied to your other thread, but forgot to answer the brake fade compensation part. It justs adjusts the pedal feel so you are always pushing the pedal the same amount for the same braking force. It won't however, like you mentioned above, not let you know any information about the fadeness state (if that mkes sense) of the brakes.
      02-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatzS2 View Post
A reason for buying a one series for my lovely wife is the prospect of borrowing it for the occasional track event. I figure I'll install some adjustable suspension pieces and use a dedicated wheel/tire set and she won't even notice.
So I impulsively ordered one up, and according to the handy tracker it should be built 2/7.
However I finally got around to reading some of the website info and the more I read the more I wonder about some limitations for serious driving. I can live with the sunroof and the no LSD is at least good for corner-exit discipline if not outright speed.

But what is with this 'dynamic brake control' system? It holds the car on hills, ok that's nice, (handbrake has worked fine too for 100 yrs) but it also says 'If you quickly pull your foot off the accelerator, it prepares to brake just as quickly.' uh-oh. Not sure I like having it thinking about what MY feet are doing. Does this mean it will keep me from left-foot braking for example? And what's with this 'If you're braking repeatedly, it adjusts to compensate for brake fade.' I'd like to know if I'm getting fade and make my own adjustments, thanks very much anyhow.

So curious if any of you are tracking 335s which I suppose must share these systems, and how these issues get resolved on the track?
I've got a '06 330i with all the same brake systems you are talking about and do DEs with my car. I currently have ATE fluid and Hawk HP+ pads on it, and I have to say that I have never had any brake fade, even though I like to brake pretty deep into a corner. I've done a bunch of 30-45+ minute sessions, and no issues at all. I doesn't feel like it's doing anything for me on teh track, where you shouldn't be lifting off the gas in panic mode anyway. Left foot braking isn't a problem either...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I've got a '06 330i with all the same brake systems you are talking about and do DEs with my car. I currently have ATE fluid and Hawk HP+ pads on it, and I have to say that I have never had any brake fade, even though I like to brake pretty deep into a corner. I've done a bunch of 30-45+ minute sessions, and no issues at all. I doesn't feel like it's doing anything for me on teh track, where you shouldn't be lifting off the gas in panic mode anyway. Left foot braking isn't a problem either...

HP+'s hold up? Wow. On a 3000 lb wrx they're good for about 2 laps of an average track.

What size are the front rotors on the 330?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
HP+'s hold up? Wow. On a 3000 lb wrx they're good for about 2 laps of an average track.

What size are the front rotors on the 330?
13.6", iirc. The car is 200lbs heavier than the 1er too. These Hawks have gotten be thru about 6 days of DEs and almost a whole autox season.

Edit: might be 13.3, but that's the 135's brake size too.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
ersatzS2
Private First Class
Rep

thanks, that's good feedback. I've driven some newer cars which cut the throttle if you apply the brake simultaneously. Not to name any names, but it is really irritating esp in a turbo awd car where you'd like to keep the boost up in a high speed corner, but still want to brush the brakes to settle the nose at turn it.
I also wonder how these systems handle heel & toe where I might be hard on the brakes but asking for a big blip at the same time...
      02-05-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
ersatzS2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I've got a '06 330i with all the same brake systems you are talking about and do DEs with my car.

Just reflecting on this some more and it occurs to me: are you sure they are the same system? Disclaimer: I know zero about bmws having paid all my dues in other 'marques.' But my understanding is that the one series is the first bmw with fixed caliper, and the way it's been explained to me, the 'dynamic braking' works by adjusting the distance of the pad from the disk dynamically depending on the situation, a feat which seems impossible with a floating caliper. Which I thought all other bimmers had...