E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Climate control issue

09-07-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
gumpracer
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Climate control issue

I'm not sure whether my climate control is functioning properly. Whenever I try raising or lowering the passenger side zone, nothing really seems to happen. The fan only jumps up a little, and the temps don't seem to differ at all (even if I put one zone at max hot and the other at max cold). Also, is there any way to turn duel mode off? Every other car I have has the option of creating one zone when there is nobody in the passenger seat.
      09-07-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
the*saint*
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Does this happen when in "auto" climate control mode?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

If this problem persists, take it to your dealer dor the service department to attend to. Something really does seem to be wrong.

The fan speed should not alter when adjusting driver or passenger temps.

Good luck with having it fixed.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 06:03 PM   #4
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
After i purchased my car, the salesman went in and showed me how to use all the little gadgets and what not. He told me that the climate control can only be within a 5 degree difference. So if i have my setting at 75 and the passenger has 60.. it wont actually be that temperature.
Im also having a hard time understanding this. I thought the whole point of dual was to be able to put one setting on heat and the other on AC.. im always cold, and my bf is always hot...

Also, when u set a new temp with the dial.. do u just leave it? Or do u have to press AUTO to allow to adjust to that new temp. I cant remember what the salesman said.
      09-07-2005, 06:13 PM   #5
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

hey guys,

it's impossible to have air in that small of a space have much difference in temperature at all. dual zone climate is a nice idea, but people expect miracles from it. Even a 5 degree temp diff would be pretty tough to maintain.

if you don't have it on auto, it won't adjust fan speed to maintain temperature
just set it on auto and you'll be fine (the only time I take it off auto is when I'm on the phone and the AC is blowing really hard and making lots of noise)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 06:14 PM   #6
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia
If this problem persists, take it to your dealer dor the service department to attend to. Something really does seem to be wrong.

The fan speed should not alter when adjusting driver or passenger temps.

Good luck with having it fixed.
if you have it on auto mode it will adjust fan speed to attempt and achieve the temp setpoint, some countries/option packs may not have automatic climate control though.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 06:43 PM   #7
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I agree with Ward. You can't really have two distinct 'zones' in the car, or create a little thunderstorm over the center console. Dual zone is nice because it lets each person make minor adjustments to suit them, but I think the longer you're in the car the less effective it becomes. Eventually the ambient temperature is going level out.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 06:44 PM   #8
blueStreak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
I thought the whole point of dual was to be able to put one setting on heat and the other on AC.. im always cold, and my bf is always hot...
Also remember the little dial on the dash that controls hot or cold coming out of the middle vents. I get frustrated because I forget I put it on heat the night before and can't figure out why I'm getting hot air on a hot day.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 08:19 PM   #9
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Just thinking about matters, the e36 had dual controls, the e46 one and now we are back to dual.
HMMMM
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 08:23 PM   #10
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
if you have it on auto mode it will adjust fan speed to attempt and achieve the temp setpoint, some countries/option packs may not have automatic climate control though.
I understood the original question to be based on manual adjustments and as such, gave my answer based on that. The fan speed won't change.

If you have auto selected, that changes the situation, exactly as you stated. Although I have auto, I like to choose my own settings, just like with the headlights. I never use them. Personal choice.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2005, 08:51 PM   #11
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
hey guys,

it's impossible to have air in that small of a space have much difference in temperature at all. dual zone climate is a nice idea, but people expect miracles from it. Even a 5 degree temp diff would be pretty tough to maintain.

if you don't have it on auto, it won't adjust fan speed to maintain temperature
just set it on auto and you'll be fine (the only time I take it off auto is when I'm on the phone and the AC is blowing really hard and making lots of noise)
my sister's 2003 accord can have 1 side really hot and side really cold. i thought the bmw can do this too, but i dont think so. maybe something is wrong with mine too.i better go in for sevice.
Appreciate 0