BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Will M3 sway bar bushing mount fit Hotchkis bushing?

I'd like to know if the Hotchkis's bushing will fit inside the M3 front sway bar bushing mount. The reason is that the Hotchkis bushing mount has slotted holes and from time to time they slide around causing all sorts of alignment issues. Hotchkis is now selling Billet Aluminium bushing mount for for $115, while the M3 ones are also aluminium but for way less ($25 for both + shipping).

<rant>
The whole story:
I got the sway bar a long time ago, it's one of my first mods and I did the install myself. I've read on the DIY section to not to over torque the nuts to the sway bar mount, because if the thread strips, it'd be a total pita to fix. So, I've it tighten enough with a standard length 3/4 wrench. From time to time the endlink, or the bushing mount will make noise, and I've usually just go down and tighten it again (as specially with the adjustable endlinks, which I switched back to stock as that thing is just crap). I'm not sure if it's my noob DIY skills or the part is just not well made. I've been doing that for a year or so thinking it's just aftermarket part, no big deal, and after I switched back to stock endlinks, the noise issue went away. But from time to time, my alignment is always slightly off (going straight, but wheel isn't pointing straight), I've no clue why; until last year. I've to take my car to a body shop for some repair (rear wheel hit the curb and fu*ked up the rear wheel and alignment) and the tech there told me they can't get the car aligned, and when they take the extra time to investigate, they found out the front swaybar mount is not tighten, and that somehow affects the alignment. (I really not sure how, but I guess it's a suspension part, so I bought that theory)

Fast forward a few months or a year...
I went and have my downpipe installed last Saturday, and I've to tech help me make sure the sway bar bushing mount is tighten down since it's making noise (at first I thought it's the new camber plates that I've installed). When I left the shop and on my way home, I notice the steering wheel isn't pointing straight while I'm going straight. I's like fu*k, my alignment is off again, which I've just got it done less than a month ago. I must have the car aligned w/o checking the mount is tighten or not, I guess no fault to the alignment shop as there's no way they'll know there are loose bits on the car.

I always have these little problems happening on my car to prevent me from enjoying it. UUC SSK slop (which I finally fixed it last weekend along w/ the dp install, shifting is super freaking crisp now . Oh those shift arm bushings work wonders, get them from ECS if you aren't happy w/ your shifter), HPFP/Misfires (recalled, hopefully won't die on me again), LOTS and LOTs of nails puncturing my tires (I've lost count, 5+ maybe) and of coz, this endlink/sway bar. Oh, the downpipe cause another well know issue with N54, wastegate rattle, it sounds like those chattering teeth toys when the car starts. I'd enough w/ this swaybar crap, this time, I'm gonna fix this stupid sh*t once and for all, like the SSK. If the M3 bushing mount won't fit, I'd just ditch the hotchkis bar and go for the M3 one.
</rant>
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

No, the bushings are of a different design altogether.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:34 AM   #3
akak1997
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Hey Harold,
Thanks for the reply. I notice the M3 front sway is on Back Order, how long does it take to order one? Thank You.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by akak1997 View Post
Hey Harold,
Thanks for the reply. I notice the M3 front sway is on Back Order, how long does it take to order one? Thank You.
I believe that the 28mm M3 front sway bars were on back order, but not any longer. I just ordered one from Harold last week. It's in route to me and should be here on Thursday. I can't wait to get it on the car.
      10-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by akak1997 View Post
I'd like to know if the Hotchkis's bushing will fit inside the M3 front sway bar bushing mount. The reason is that the Hotchkis bushing mount has slotted holes and from time to time they slide around causing all sorts of alignment issues. Hotchkis is now selling Billet Aluminium bushing mount for for $115, while the M3 ones are also aluminium but for way less ($25 for both + shipping).

<rant>
The whole story:
I got the sway bar a long time ago, it's one of my first mods and I did the install myself. I've read on the DIY section to not to over torque the nuts to the sway bar mount, because if the thread strips, it'd be a total pita to fix. So, I've it tighten enough with a standard length 3/4 wrench. From time to time the endlink, or the bushing mount will make noise, and I've usually just go down and tighten it again (as specially with the adjustable endlinks, which I switched back to stock as that thing is just crap). I'm not sure if it's my noob DIY skills or the part is just not well made. I've been doing that for a year or so thinking it's just aftermarket part, no big deal, and after I switched back to stock endlinks, the noise issue went away. But from time to time, my alignment is always slightly off (going straight, but wheel isn't pointing straight), I've no clue why; until last year. I've to take my car to a body shop for some repair (rear wheel hit the curb and fu*ked up the rear wheel and alignment) and the tech there told me they can't get the car aligned, and when they take the extra time to investigate, they found out the front swaybar mount is not tighten, and that somehow affects the alignment. (I really not sure how, but I guess it's a suspension part, so I bought that theory)

Fast forward a few months or a year...
I went and have my downpipe installed last Saturday, and I've to tech help me make sure the sway bar bushing mount is tighten down since it's making noise (at first I thought it's the new camber plates that I've installed). When I left the shop and on my way home, I notice the steering wheel isn't pointing straight while I'm going straight. I's like fu*k, my alignment is off again, which I've just got it done less than a month ago. I must have the car aligned w/o checking the mount is tighten or not, I guess no fault to the alignment shop as there's no way they'll know there are loose bits on the car.

I always have these little problems happening on my car to prevent me from enjoying it. UUC SSK slop (which I finally fixed it last weekend along w/ the dp install, shifting is super freaking crisp now . Oh those shift arm bushings work wonders, get them from ECS if you aren't happy w/ your shifter), HPFP/Misfires (recalled, hopefully won't die on me again), LOTS and LOTs of nails puncturing my tires (I've lost count, 5+ maybe) and of coz, this endlink/sway bar. Oh, the downpipe cause another well know issue with N54, wastegate rattle, it sounds like those chattering teeth toys when the car starts. I'd enough w/ this swaybar crap, this time, I'm gonna fix this stupid sh*t once and for all, like the SSK. If the M3 bushing mount won't fit, I'd just ditch the hotchkis bar and go for the M3 one.
</rant>
Are these the bushings you are talking about?

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...ings/ES259542/

Are they difficult to install? I just got my BMW SSK in and it feels pretty damn good -- very little to no slop.
cdv delete | clutch stop | bmw performance ssk | meisterschaft gt | berk mids | dinan cai | helix fmic | m3 subframe bushings, swaybar, front and back suspension bits | dinan stage 1 suspension | dinan cf strut brace |gc camber plates | dinan oil cooler | apex ec-7s w/PSSs | cobb stage 1 + fmic
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
akak1997
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
yes, those are the bushing. Installation wasn't easy because you've to pretty much pull the shifter arm out, the bushing goes to the far end (towards the engine and right on top of the transmission) of the shifter arm.

Edit:
they lowered the price on them, it used to be $88. Damn I got them last year, and never got around to install it and now it's cheaper!
Appreciate 0