BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
N52 Lifters

So, had enough of my N52 'lifter ticking'. It's been around for about 8 months.

I read up last night on the ticking issue, and BMW used to bleed the oil to remove air if the ticking was apparent after cold start/short driving.

I get the ticking upon changing gears at low speeds (garage maneuvering) and going from 0km/h.

I've called my SA and he hasn't called me back yet. So awaiting a response.

It will be interesting to see if they do a simple bleed and the issue remains, in which case the exhaust lifters will be replaced. Not looking forward to having the car out again, but the ticking is annoying me now!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Is the ticking more apparent on a cold start, when the last usage was a little spirited?

I used to get the same issue Alex. My solution was to religiously use 98RON, let the last 10 mins of my drive be at granny-pace, then park in the garage so the engine is not entirely frozen the next morning. But perhaps I had a different issue it seems?

Either way, Christine is turning into a surgery feign. In return, neglect her. :P
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
there is a TSB on this.. I had the same problem, Dealer fixed it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
Is the ticking more apparent on a cold start, when the last usage was a little spirited?

I used to get the same issue Alex. My solution was to religiously use 98RON, let the last 10 mins of my drive be at granny-pace, then park in the garage so the engine is not entirely frozen the next morning. But perhaps I had a different issue it seems?

Either way, Christine is turning into a surgery feign. In return, neglect her. :P
Well the ticking is usually apparent at very low speed, particularly gear changing (D-R, R-D) and going at hard lock. It's quite a metallic "tink" or "click".

I've emailed my SA with some symptoms.

FYI - Christine always gets 98RON I think i've used 95 once.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozola View Post
there is a TSB on this.. I had the same problem, Dealer fixed it.
Yeah, i read your thread before posting

Seems interesting. I did a YouTube search and the sound i'm getting isn't the continual "tick tick tick tick tick tick" on camshaft rotation. It's usually just one "tink"/"click", very metallic, and coming from the underneath of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
ncutinelli
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i LMB

Garage List
I still have ticking noise with mine. Only on cold starts and it lasts for approx 5 mins until warm.

This has been as issue from day one.

After 2000km i had a oil change and at the same time advised my SA of the noise so they kept it overnight and did a cold start. They said that they can hear the noise and that they will replace all lifters.

Noise still not gone, demanded a meeting with BMW Australia service manager and my SA we did a cold start together and they have acknowledged the noise and said there is nothing we can do....

I said that is fine but if it is a issue in the future (when out of warranty) i will expect it to be fix at NO cost.... they accepted...
      11-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncutinelli View Post
I still have ticking noise with mine. Only on cold starts and it lasts for approx 5 mins until warm.

This has been as issue from day one.

After 2000km i had a oil change and at the same time advised my SA of the noise so they kept it overnight and did a cold start. They said that they can hear the noise and that they will replace all lifters.

Noise still not gone, demanded a meeting with BMW Australia service manager and my SA we did a cold start together and they have acknowledged the noise and said there is nothing we can do....

I said that is fine but if it is a issue in the future (when out of warranty) i will expect it to be fix at NO cost.... they accepted...
What is the noise like? Is it a continual ticking, as in it ticks when the camshaft is rotating? Mine is a one-off tick whenever i change gears or directions.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
From my SSA: "It sounds like the hydraulic lifters are noisy due to air pocket and/or poor oil pressure to lifters.

I would need to assess if a bleeding of lifters is required or replace any parts."
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 02:45 AM   #9
dr.bmw
Chirurgeon
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i AW/CR

Garage List
2008 125i  [10.00]
could be just the brakepads shifting, if its just a single click on changing from reverse to forward, in that case its nothing to worry about
      11-11-2010, 06:03 AM   #10
ncutinelli
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
What is the noise like? Is it a continual ticking, as in it ticks when the camshaft is rotating? Mine is a one-off tick whenever i change gears or directions.
yes it is a continual ticking noise .... only when my car is cold on start up and for about 5 mins..... then all fine....
      11-11-2010, 06:11 AM   #11
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

I get similiar irratating noises in my car, but strangely only when the minister for finance & war is aboard - go figure
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #12
Doing it for TV!
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
Yeah, i read your thread before posting

Seems interesting. I did a YouTube search and the sound i'm getting isn't the continual "tick tick tick tick tick tick" on camshaft rotation. It's usually just one "tink"/"click", very metallic, and coming from the underneath of the vehicle.

That would be the ("cold", hence why you describe it as a 'metallic' tink) exhaust flap closing... you can observe this by:

Start car as you would, get out of the car and walk to the back...

Wait as the cold start idle drops (approx 40 secs) and then you will hear the "tink/click", at which time you will notice that the exhaust noise also quietens...

Last edited by 555; 11-11-2010 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #13
ncutinelli
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post
That would be the ("cold", hence why you describe it as a 'metallic' tink) exhaust flap closing... you can observe this by:

Wait as the cold start idle drops (approx 40 secs) and then you will hear the "tink/click", at which time you will notice that the exhaust noise also quietens...

you are right about

"Wait as the cold start idle drops (approx 40 secs) and then you will hear the "tink/click", at which time you will notice that the exhaust noise also quietens..."

but mine is coming from the engine bay .... it is louder if i open the hood up??
      11-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #14
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post

Yeah I originally thought that. However - I have the golf tee in so the flap is constantly open, and it 'tinks' when running warm and cold.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #15
Doing it for TV!
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncutinelli View Post
you are right about

"Wait as the cold start idle drops (approx 40 secs) and then you will hear the "tink/click", at which time you will notice that the exhaust noise also quietens..."

but mine is coming from the engine bay .... it is louder if i open the hood up??

is yours the same (as in one tink/click?) or constant tick, tick,tick....
Appreciate 0