BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #23
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie135 View Post
What is covered in the free maintenence service? I am currently under the free annual 4 years service plan. Oil + oil filter, Micro filter, fuel filter, Brake fluid, diff oil, spark plugs?

Am I correct? Only brake rotors, brake pads and wiper blades not included.
Wiper blades and brakes are included. You don't get new brakes each year, though. It's on an as-needed basis, but if your brakes are worn (usually as you get very close to the 50K mark) they will be replaces for free. Wipers should be included and changed yearly I thought, but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
Definitely not extending the maintenance. Up here in Canada, brakes and wipers are not covered with basic maintenance. Unless you pay extra $$$. Might as well pay it when I need it.

I am leaning away from extended warranty. I think it is thru 3rd party as per my dealer. With my low mileage, 3 season car, and not driven hard all the time; I am hoping nothing major will pop up for another 2 to 3 years that I plan on keeping my 1.

What about you?
I've already bought the dealer's "Gold" level warranty, covering everything except the radio and the nav. Didn't extend maintenance, either. Wipers and brakes not being covered by the maintenance is ridiculous, since the brakes are the only thing I can think of that would even justify the price they want for the extension. Paying a couple thousand bucks for what amounts to a few extra free oil changes? No way. Since your car is pretty low mileage, I don't think you're going to have any problems in the future.

I plan to keep the car as long as possible. I like it a lot; it just clicks with me. I like small cars, and the 1 just feels so maneuverable and nimble through traffic. I don't see any other similar cars out right now. If I got rid of it, I would only really think of getting another 1 series, but I like my 2008 "year 1" car, plus all of the mods and work I have put into it. So it stays

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #24
juliansorl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135cab/JCWcab 2009

In the future when a company tries to sell me a car based on the fact that maintenance is "free", it is going to have zero impact on my decision. I feel like I was fooled by this the first time, but now I'm a little smarter. There is a difference between how I like my car maintained and how a giant profit seeking corporation does and that difference might actually be a conflict of interest.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #25
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansorl View Post
In the future when a company tries to sell me a car based on the fact that maintenance is "free", it is going to have zero impact on my decision. I feel like I was fooled by this the first time, but now I'm a little smarter. There is a difference between how I like my car maintained and how a giant profit seeking corporation does and that difference might actually be a conflict of interest.
I know the "free maintenance" is a bit of a ripoff, especially when they try to purposely deny you the free work..

..but playing devil's advocate, here is a guy who made it to 115,000 miles (and beyond) pretty much problem free using the new recommended 15K miles oil change intervals (sometimes more!!), only with BMW service, and didn't end up paying a dime until he hit the 50K mark:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503226

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0