BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
Tardi5
Rep
Drives: Soon to own a 135i

Canadian 135i Purchasing Questions!

Hi All!

This is my first post, so I have a few questions!

I went and test drove a 135i (with M-Sport) and was sold on the first corner, what a lovely car.

I live in Edmonton Alberta, Canada, and so have some general questions about the winter.

1. Since it has an aluminum engine, you cant put a block heater in it, only a trickle charger. Does anybody have any experience starting the car when it is -30degC? I don’t have a heated garage, and can’t afford a summer and winter car. Does the car start well?

2. Does anybody have the trickle charger that they sell, and if so does that help for cold starts?

3. A friend of mine had an E46 328i and mentioned that below a certain temperature (~-30degC) the mechanism that lowers the window a centimeter when you open the door would stop working, so if it was that cold, he couldn't get in his car? Anybody have or know of this issue?

Just some general questions:

4. Anybody have the leatherette? Is it exceptionally hot and sticky on a hot day, or fairly manageable? I have heard that it can be a lot like vinyl, i.e. like cars from the 60s and 70s.

5. I am thinking of a Le Mans Blue with M-Sport, Leather Seats, and heated Steering wheel. I would like to get the Savanna Beige, however, according to the BMW.ca configuration online it won’t allow the le mans blue and Savanna Beige combination? Why is this? I was browsing the forums earlier and was reading about "Priority 1" options - what are these? Is this why I can't configure that option?

6. For the above mentioned car, I was offered $2k off of MSRP. Does anybody have any experiencing bargaining a bit? How Much room do dealers have to move on this car?

7. For those of you who have had a 135i for some time, are there any common problems failures that occur? Issues with getting them repaired under warranty, or has it all been as smooth as the salesman promised?

8. I might be interested in getting some Dinan options on it, I was reading in a different forum about how the new 2011 N55 engine (single turbo) might be harder to tune - is this the case?

9. After further reading about "overheating" and "hpfp" problems, I'm now a little scared - how prevalent is this? I don't want a lemon.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
BlackFlash
poseur (for now)
Canada
Rep
Drives: a piece-o-crap

In case this post intimidates too many people, let me try and help get the ball rolling (disclaimer: as someone who doesn't actually own a 1 series, take my responses with a grain of salt)

You may want to post this in the General forum as well for more exposure.

1. You can't put a magnetic block heater on it cause the block isn't magnetic, but a non-magnetic type one should be fine? Maybe an oil pan heater?

2. No idea...

3. There are certainly threads around here talking about the windows freezing to the weather stripping in the winter and DIY solutions to fix the problem. Never heard reference to the windows auto rolling down a bit when you opened the door.

4. Haven't read anything negative about leatherette, but lots of positive. The only complaint I recall is that it's not actually leather. I doubt it would be particularly bad.

5. The configurator at bmw.ca is particularly restrictive. You need to talk to a SA to get a better idea what is and is not possible, but my understanding is pretty much anything is possible but some may incur an extra charge. I think some of the less common colours are deemed Priority 1, but I know people in the States with the free leather have still been able to get those without issue.

6. Maybe not as much room as you'd think (or hope?). I am not aware of invoice prices in Canada for the 2011s...you're best off going to carcostcanada, getting the invoice price with it optioned as you like, add the mandatory 3-8% and working from there. They are a lot cheaper in the states so there should be more room than there probably is!

7. ...

8. It's a new engine that just hasn't had a tune released for it yet...I'm sure it will come shortly as the tuners figure it all out. There was some skepticism that the new engine would be as tunable as the twin turbo N54 but my guess would be the numbers will be pretty close.

9. The hpfp issues are certainly disconcerting. Many many people have had that problem, and no doubt many have not as well. The jury is still out on whether or not the problem persists on the N55s (I know a few people have suggested it does) but the numbers aren't out there to confirm it. There is also a chance the latest hpfp revision from BMW is not afflicted. But at the end of the day, the hpfp is covered under warranty for a long time (likely will be extended like the old ones if the problem is rampant) and you can't live your life in fear.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
TwinPowerF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

I saw leatherette in a 2009 X3 and it looks cheap, like crap really. All the dash trims are like hard and rough and faded look. Never seen anyting that bad before. The japanese cars with leather is way nicer than that. Premium leather FTW. Flame suit on
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardi5 View Post
Hi All!

This is my first post, so I have a few questions!

I went and test drove a 135i (with M-Sport) and was sold on the first corner, what a lovely car.

I live in Edmonton Alberta, Canada, and so have some general questions about the winter.

1. Since it has an aluminum engine, you cant put a block heater in it, only a trickle charger. Does anybody have any experience starting the car when it is -30degC? I don’t have a heated garage, and can’t afford a summer and winter car. Does the car start well?
It'll start, but an oil-pan block heater is a good thing to consider. I had one installed (sourced myself and installed by the dealership prior to delivery).
Quote:
2. Does anybody have the trickle charger that they sell, and if so does that help for cold starts?
No need.
Quote:
3. A friend of mine had an E46 328i and mentioned that below a certain temperature (~-30degC) the mechanism that lowers the window a centimeter when you open the door would stop working, so if it was that cold, he couldn't get in his car? Anybody have or know of this issue?
You can always get in...and get the door shut. I had my window freeze a few times. The trick is to only do that once (open / close) and then drive the car long enough to allow things to thaw...for if you try to get the door to work itself by opening / closing repeatedly, it'll log it a problem and then you'll have to cycle the power window a few times, while holding the switch to reset it. No biggie, but a time waster.
Quote:
Just some general questions:

4. Anybody have the leatherette? Is it exceptionally hot and sticky on a hot day, or fairly manageable? I have heard that it can be a lot like vinyl, i.e. like cars from the 60s and 70s.
No, leather. Don't go leatherette.
Quote:
5. I am thinking of a Le Mans Blue with M-Sport, Leather Seats, and heated Steering wheel. I would like to get the Savanna Beige, however, according to the BMW.ca configuration online it won’t allow the le mans blue and Savanna Beige combination? Why is this? I was browsing the forums earlier and was reading about "Priority 1" options - what are these? Is this why I can't configure that option?
If you must have that colour combination (can't blame you, for I wanted the same thing) you can always go with a BMW Signature order, thus paying through the nose to get what you want, as they'll custom build it.
Quote:
6. For the above mentioned car, I was offered $2k off of MSRP. Does anybody have any experiencing bargaining a bit? How Much room do dealers have to move on this car?
Depending on which dealership you're buying from, if you join the Northern Alberta BMW Club in advance, Bavaria BMW will give you and additional 4% off the contract price for being a member.
Quote:
7. For those of you who have had a 135i for some time, are there any common problems failures that occur? Issues with getting them repaired under warranty, or has it all been as smooth as the salesman promised?
I bought at Edmonton BMW (they had the car in stock versus waiting, and did give me the NABMWClub discount), but their service department sucks. Too long to wait to get in, and unreliable performance. Service the car at Bavaria BMW (for warranty stuff) and better yet at Eurasia Automotive for anything that isn't warranty-related.
Quote:
8. I might be interested in getting some Dinan options on it, I was reading in a different forum about how the new 2011 N55 engine (single turbo) might be harder to tune - is this the case?
Can't say.
Quote:
9. After further reading about "overheating" and "hpfp" problems, I'm now a little scared - how prevalent is this? I don't want a lemon.
I've tracked mine at Race City Motorsports Park as part of Alberta Advanced Driving School events (co-organized by the Northern and Southern Alberta BMW Clubs) as well as run a few of the local Porsche club events at C.F.B. Edmonton...no issues.
Quote:
Thanks in advance!
You're welcome. Enjoy the future purchase...and join your local BMW club! (link in my sig)
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
I have a 128i in NB Canada, it was parked outside for the better part of the winter, with no issues and we had weather as low as -30. My dad has a 335, with the winter tire package, which is the same as I have and they work great in the snow, better than FWD SAABs that we have had in the past. My current 128 has the leatherette seats, most people can't distinguish between them and the leather seats, in terms of heat they aren't as hot as I thought they would be.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
Tardi5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFlash View Post
4. Haven't read anything negative about leatherette, but lots of positive. The only complaint I recall is that it's not actually leather. I doubt it would be particularly bad.
Sweet, leather is expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFlash View Post
6. Maybe not as much room as you'd think (or hope?). I am not aware of invoice prices in Canada for the 2011s...you're best off going to carcostcanada, getting the invoice price with it optioned as you like, add the mandatory 3-8% and working from there. They are a lot cheaper in the states so there should be more room than there probably is!
Thanks, I didn't know about this, excellent resource - Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
Tardi5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPNBYE View Post
It'll start, but an oil-pan block heater is a good thing to consider. I had one installed (sourced myself and installed by the dealership prior to delivery)
Could you please tell me where you got it, and would any oil pan heater work, or are there specific ones for certain cars?
Quote:
If you must have that colour combination (can't blame you, for I wanted the same thing) you can always go with a BMW Signature order, thus paying through the nose to get what you want, as they'll custom build it.
Can’t afford to pay through the nose! Just dreaming and wondering…
Quote:
Depending on which dealership you're buying from, if you join the Northern Alberta BMW Club in advance, Bavaria BMW will give you and additional 4% off the contract price for being a member.
Interesting! Is this the contract for a lease, or financing?
Quote:
I bought at Edmonton BMW (they had the car in stock versus waiting, and did give me the NABMWClub discount), but their service department sucks. Too long to wait to get in, and unreliable performance. Service the car at Bavaria BMW (for warranty stuff) and better yet at Eurasia Automotive for anything that isn't warranty-related.
Excellent insight – thanks!
Quote:
You're welcome. Enjoy the future purchase...and join your local BMW club! (link in my sig)
Perhaps I might!
Thanks for all your detailed replies!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
Tardi5
Rep

another question - do the side mirrors tilt down when you reverse, like on a 335d?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #9
ZIPNBYE
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Could you please tell me where you got it, and would any oil pan heater work, or are there specific ones for certain cars?
I bought mine from Weber Motors, as I knew that they carry them, as Mazda's can't accommodate for frost-plug style block heaters anymore either. It's a stick-on type, which you have to glue onto the bottom of the oil pan.
Quote:
Interesting! Is this the contract for a lease, or financing?
Go to the NABMWClub's website and click on the membership tab, on which you'll find the discount listings below, and for the listing of Bavaria BMW you can see the specific contact info for who to contact. It used to be specifically listed at 4%, and I note now that it doesn't, post a recent website redesign, but it's worth the annual membership, for it'll pay for itself multiple times over.
Quote:
Excellent insight – thanks!
It always pays to be a part of a local club...now you can see how!
Quote:
Perhaps I might!
Might? Membership is $60. Savings at 4% = $1,600 off $40,000. You can do math, right?
Quote:
Thanks for all your detailed replies!
You're more than welcome.
Quote:
another question - do the side mirrors tilt down when you reverse, like on a 335d?
Yes. If the mirror selector switch is set to the left. If set to the right, it'll stay put.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #10
mshahidz
Major
Rep
Drives: M4, 991 GT3

I would get leatherette...considering I have had BOTH in my car, leather is far superior in terms of BREATHING. Leatherette doesn't breath as well as leather, so when its hot/cold it keeps that temperature for longer. Even in hot murky days, the leather seats dont get too hot.
Down the road, leatherette will rip and tear, leather will crack. I would personally recommend leather, its just a better and more luxurious option to have. After having leatherette in my car for 6 months, and then leather for the next 4, this is my take on it It feels like a louis vuitton bag haha (leatherette that is).

Also, you can't get M-sport with a heated wheel as far as i know. The m-sport perforated wheel doesnt come with a heating option.

Thirdly, I was given 6% off on my finance....generally you should be able to get at least 4% if you really bargain 'em down.
      06-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #11
Tardi5
Rep

Thanks for the info on the deal you got! I guess it might be worth to fork up the $1900 for leather... And you're right about the steering wheel. Guess my hands will be cold!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammadz View Post
I would get leatherette...considering I have had BOTH in my car, leather is far superior in terms of BREATHING. Leatherette doesn't breath as well as leather, so when its hot/cold it keeps that temperature for longer. Even in hot murky days, the leather seats dont get too hot.
Down the road, leatherette will rip and tear, leather will crack. I would personally recommend leather, its just a better and more luxurious option to have. After having leatherette in my car for 6 months, and then leather for the next 4, this is my take on it It feels like a louis vuitton bag haha (leatherette that is).

Also, you can't get M-sport with a heated wheel as far as i know. The m-sport perforated wheel doesnt come with a heating option.

Thirdly, I was given 6% off on my finance....generally you should be able to get at least 4% if you really bargain 'em down.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 04:01 AM   #12
ZIPNBYE
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Re: M-package = no heat.

You won't mind at all...as the M-package's wheel is so much better than the standard in terms of grip comfort.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #13
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammadz View Post
I would get leatherette...considering I have had BOTH in my car, leather is far superior in terms of BREATHING. Leatherette doesn't breath as well as leather, so when its hot/cold it keeps that temperature for longer. Even in hot murky days, the leather seats dont get too hot.Down the road, leatherette will rip and tear, leather will crack. I would personally recommend leather, its just a better and more luxurious option to have. After having leatherette in my car for 6 months, and then leather for the next 4, this is my take on it It feels like a louis vuitton bag haha (leatherette that is).

Thirdly, I was given 6% off on my finance....generally you should be able to get at least 4% if you really bargain 'em down
No & Yes!
No, leatherette will not rip and tear or sag. It will look as good on day #2000 as it did day #1 (I had it on my 2003 Z4 which I kept for 5.5 years).
Yes, leather will crack, (as well as look scuffed and sag after 6 years) - but it probably is more comfortable - I won't know as I'll ALWAYS get leatherette.
      06-15-2010, 11:18 PM   #14
Tardi5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
No & Yes!
No, leatherette will not rip and tear or sag. It will look as good on day #2000 as it did day #1 (I had it on my 2003 Z4 which I kept for 5.5 years).
Yes, leather will crack, (as well as look scuffed and sag after 6 years) - but it probably is more comfortable - I won't know as I'll ALWAYS get leatherette.
thanks, i am warming up to leatherette and saving $1900.

but the black / coral red looks soooo good!

but i broke my arm yesterday so cant drive for 6 weeks
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 12:24 AM   #15
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
thanks, i am warming up to leatherette and saving $1900.

but the black / coral red looks soooo good!

but i broke my arm yesterday so cant drive for 6 weeks
In most ways I prefer leatherette. I have the higher quality Nappa leather in the Z4M, it is nice to sit on but quite annoying when driver the car hard and sliding around on the seat, as it is too slippery and also requires a lot of care to keep it in good shape. If it had been possible, I would have ordered leatherette in the Z4M.

We chose leatherette in the 135i, because it grips as well as cloth in the corners. Make sure you don't use any form of leather or vinyl conditioner or treatment on it, though, as it will then become slippery. Just use a good deep cleaner for plastic and a damp cloth, it will then keep it's slightly matte and grippy qualities.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #16
1HungryMan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

I have to add my happiness with the leatherette. It's excellent and easy to care for (just water on a cloth is best).
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #17
Tardi5
Rep

I have one more question about standard features:

Do the rear view mirrors turn down when you reverse? Is this a standard option, or do you need a package?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #18
ZIPNBYE
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Last item in my post (#9 above)...
Appreciate 0