BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-03-2012, 05:46 AM   #23
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato View Post
Hmmm... reading even more... isn't the front sway gonna increase understeer? I am already on 225/255 staggered. Maybe the front sway isn't such a good idea? In general, isn't stiffening anything in the front going to increase understeer? That goes for the HD front bushing also.
No, that is generic wisdom. MacPherson strut geometry is more complicated. There are many posts here on the topic.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 05:48 AM   #24
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

The decrease in body roll and gained control is worth the mild increase in understeer. Also if you getting camber plates you'll dial it out. By itself the fsb is a setback, however, with the full setup and camber plates is a win win combo.

OP don't want to throw a krinkle in your plans here, but if you do some smart shopping around you can find some deals. I got my set of kw v2's with vorschlag camber plates for under 2k. But for your information the adjustable shocks are going to be worth it. You can dial them way soft for the street and have a nice ride, but track time comes and you stiffen them way up. I couldn't believe at the difference in how big a difference it could make adjusting the shocks.
      05-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #25
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
I know it's a small budget... and probably $500 of those are going into Ground Control Camber Plates. What should the rest go into? I can do a 0 to ~0.5" of drop. Don't really like the very slammed look.

Auto X and Track combines to about 5-6 times a year? Car is a DD all year round otherwise. Stock wheels on PSS. Everything else stock for now. Brake pad/cooling/rotor upgrade next.

Thanks!
Spend the rest of your money on struts and shocks.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #26
EFI Logics
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 135i, 08 535Xi

There don't seem to be any bad recommendations in this thread, but I would suggest the Powerflex rear subframe inserts if not the M3 subframe bushings themselves. Camber plates, Koni or Bilstein dampers, the rear subframe inserts or bushings and an alignment will put you in a nice place without breaking your budget or making the car miserable to drive on the street.

-Josh
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #27
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

Thanks guys for all the inputs!

I am going to start with Ground Control Street Camber Plates, but I am going to leave the spring/struts alone for later. Gonna try to DIY the camber plates here.

I am also going to leave the FSB out, as it sounds to me that it'll upset balance and introduce understeer. I am going to leave all M3 metal parts out for now, and only introduce them if I am ready to do them ALL.

I am debating whether I should try doing the rear subframe bushings myself... I have 2 jacks and 4 jack stands... The DIY makes it sound simple but dropping the subframe on a 3k+lb car is still very intimidating.

Otherwise, I am just going to defeat the CDV, get some RBF600 and some Redline ATF into the system and with an alignment, I think I'm ready to start the season. Thanks guys!
      05-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #28
EFI Logics
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 135i, 08 535Xi

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the inputs!

I am going to start with Ground Control Street Camber Plates, but I am going to leave the spring/struts alone for later. Gonna try to DIY the camber plates here.

I am also going to leave the FSB out, as it sounds to me that it'll upset balance and introduce understeer. I am going to leave all M3 metal parts out for now, and only introduce them if I am ready to do them ALL.

I am debating whether I should try doing the rear subframe bushings myself... I have 2 jacks and 4 jack stands... The DIY makes it sound simple but dropping the subframe on a 3k+lb car is still very intimidating.

Otherwise, I am just going to defeat the CDV, get some RBF600 and some Redline ATF into the system and with an alignment, I think I'm ready to start the season. Thanks guys!
I am running the GC street plates as well with 18x8.5" wheels wrapped in 245s on all 4 corners and the rest of the suspension stock. The car makes a huge amount of grip over the factory car. I am sure you will be very pleased once you are all setup and dialed in.

-Josh
Appreciate 0