BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-15-2005, 12:54 AM   #23
MAlby7
E90 Newbie
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus ZX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie!
What does race have to do with driving ability?
If you only knew. It is a scientific fact that Chinese people do not have peripheral vision due to the shape of their eyes. This accounts for the majority of them not being able to see what's around them and drive the way they do.
      12-15-2005, 01:09 AM   #24
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie!
What does race have to do with driving ability?
well and indian lady almost rammed her stupid CRV into me the other day. She was indian, would you like me to tell you about the 72 other indians I encountered while driving that day that did not nearly ruin my car????

seriously the lady was in full garb, ya gotta be careful in Fremont!!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 02:17 AM   #25
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashecnc
Is that two hot dog dogs I see?
Yup, they are indeed wiener dogs. Pretty good that you can tell from that angle.

Regarding the correlation of race with inept driving, I must also add species in the picture. I've seen a few dogs driving around and while most of them disrespectfully switch lanes without using the turn signals, at least they yield to oncoming traffic while making a left.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 02:29 AM   #26
SRT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Excuse the expression, but race has f**k-all to do with driver ability and that's an end of it. The most retarded driving that I have witnessed in such a multicultural city come from young "boy-racer" white males and senior/elderly white males. If anything, the only reason you might associate bad driving with certain ethnicities, is because of the driving style of the country they originate from.

Further more, I took offence to the lashing out at 17 year olds. The guy who rear ended you could have been 27, just the same, your car is still whacked, so does it matter who rear ended you? I started driving at 17 and 2 years on from that, I have never crashed but that's not to say I havn't had my fun either.

My rebellious attitude back then went by a theory of "Pay twice as much insurance, drive twice as fast" - which brings me onto another point - 17 year olds pay so much more insurance, it's a flipping joke. I got a quote when I was 18 for £9000 a year on a 330ci ...c'mon! And this 2.0 318i was 'only' £1800 - I figured if a 330ci is about twice the power, insurance would be a bit more reasonable, £3000 maybe, but nooope.

Touch wood, I've never crashed but like all of us, we've had near misses. 2/3 were not even my fault. So all 17 year olds do not suck. I was reading a thread on here yesterday about someone who forgot he handbrake when running back into the dealership and his car had rolled away and missed a couple of 7 series. I've never seen a 17 year old do that, and yet he's the sort of person that will have a decent insurance premium...

Next time you see a 17 year old, just remember what he's forked out to be on the road
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 02:56 AM   #27
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchang83
im sorry to be b*tching here, but i got into my first accident today and it really pissed me off

for all those that live around alexandria, VA area, i was at a red light on north beauregard st. during rush hour in the evening time when this kid that was speeding rear ends me obviously distracted by something else. when i ask how old he was he was only 17, inexperienced drivers really bother me esp. when they're speeding and whatnot.

1) damnit, i only had my e90 for 3 months
2) worst part was that i saw his car coming in really fast and i had no where to turn. i knew my car was about to be hit, what a frustrating feeling when you can do NOTHING about it.

but one nice thing i noticed, my bumper appears to be only cosmetically damaged, or at most i just have to replace my bumper (i hope there is no structural damage) while his whole front end of a 95 civic coupe was destroyed. im impressed by how well bmw puts their car together

The rest of the populace is clueless to other peoples needs or concerns. Some people view a car as a place to hide from mom & Dad and a sign of freedom. Some skirt the law and have half running vehicles that bearly get them to Best buy to spend their next paycheck.

People do not respect other passion for cars... So I drive defensivly and park in BFE. Every now and then I get some asshole that want to be funny and park next to me (really close) so I get phuny right back and simply leave a note on their windsheild saying:

"I've noticed that your tires were all deflated, I wouldn't want you to drive on them and ruin them. They look perfectly fine and probably just need air... It's a good thing you parked so close to me, unless I would've never scrutinized your car so closely.

Sincerley, Want to be left alone."

I've actually left that note on a persons car and have since then printed a few up and leave them in my glove box just in case. You do nothing but severly inconvienance them... and oh well.

As for assholes in traffic... Stay away from beaters and other who look like they don't value ownership of anything.

As for 17year olds... most don't own their own car and have no clue what it actually cost. They drive recklessly and carelessly because they have no responsibility...!!

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 05:28 AM   #28
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Korea's the worst! Korean motorists are like Italians, it's whoever cuts the other person off quicker wins. And in an accident, it doesn't matter who's at fault; it's whoever can beat up the other guy.
And the bigger you are or the more wheels you have, the more rights you have. Better give way to that cement truck or it will take you out!

E90 320d - Black Ext/Fluid Grey Int | Steptronic | Business Navigation | PDC | Sunroof | Alarm
Exterior Pictures | Interior Pictures | Video
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 05:58 AM   #29
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR
Excuse the expression, but race has f**k-all to do with driver ability and that's an end of it.....
While race may have nothing to do with driver ability, it has a lot to do with driver mentality. I'm not going to start pointing fingers, but I have lived in quite a few countries and visited many more and so I feel as though I can generalise a bit (and I'm sure you can use your imagination).

Traffic Laws: Drivers of some countries see these as more of a guide, while others for the most part follow them pretty well.

Give Way: Drivers in some countries see priority in terms of size. The bigger your are, the higher your priority. Others see it as the car you drive. The nicer the car, the higher the priority. Yet, in other countries there are rules as to who has priority in certain situations and these are followed.

Lane Markings: Again, drivers in some countries see these as more of a guide. And in traffic, the 'lanes' can quite easily double (2 lanes becomes 4 etc). In other countries lane markings are followed.

Now I could go on forever, but I think you all get my drift. There are also exceptions to the rule. The young kid wanting to show off etc, but for the most part, mentality stereotypes hold true. Problems arise when people from other driving cultures drive in our own culture. There's a sort of 'driving culture clash'. We see it has "bloody _______ can't drive" or some variation. When in fact, they can drive, and they drive pretty well in their own country, but they've brought their driving culture onto our roads and it causes problems.

In their country it may be fine to run a stop sign (people expect it). I remember in Korea it's perfectly acceptable to drive through a traffic light controlled pedestrian crossing when it's red (and if no one is crossing). In other countries this is against the law and you wait until the light goes green (it may have been in Korea as well but no one enforced it). My examples are endless, but I have to stop somewhere.

So to sum it all up, different races have pretty much the same driving ability but they're differentiated by driving mentality (of course there are always exceptions to the rule). With each new country I've lived in I have had to adapt my driving style. If you don't adapt, then every time you get behind the wheel you will be frustrated and miserable and it's probably not good for the blood pressure .

E90 320d - Black Ext/Fluid Grey Int | Steptronic | Business Navigation | PDC | Sunroof | Alarm
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 07:37 AM   #30
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

with one exception: If you are going to drive in the US (or any other country for that matter) you need to understand the laws and follow them. Ignorance is not an excuse.

Bad driving comes from three things: Inability (or not knowing), Not caring, or distraction. Doesn't matter where or when you were born, it all ends up the same. You are sitting behind a 1-2 ton land missle that can easily kill someone else. If you don't care enough to pay attention to what you are doing... GET OFF THE ROAD AND TAKE THE BUS!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 07:43 AM   #31
TECENG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo89
If you are going to drive in the US (or any other country for that matter) you need to understand the laws and follow them. Ignorance is not an excuse.
That says it all.

330i Sparkling Graphite | Terra | Walnut | Steptronic | Sport | Premium | Navigation | Comfort Access | Cold Weather Pkg
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 07:45 AM   #32
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

reading about accidents makes me depressed...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 07:49 AM   #33
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchang83
im sorry to be b*tching here, but i got into my first accident today and it really pissed me off

for all those that live around alexandria, VA area, i was at a red light on north beauregard st. during rush hour in the evening time when this kid that was speeding rear ends me obviously distracted by something else. when i ask how old he was he was only 17, inexperienced drivers really bother me esp. when they're speeding and whatnot.

1) damnit, i only had my e90 for 3 months
2) worst part was that i saw his car coming in really fast and i had no where to turn. i knew my car was about to be hit, what a frustrating feeling when you can do NOTHING about it.

but one nice thing i noticed, my bumper appears to be only cosmetically damaged, or at most i just have to replace my bumper (i hope there is no structural damage) while his whole front end of a 95 civic coupe was destroyed. im impressed by how well bmw puts their car together
As you get older, you'll notice bad drivers never really get better. IMO, the best drivers come from those states where driver's education is taugh in high school.

Rural areas tend to have better drivers but they tend to drive too fast. Urban areas have the absolute worst drivers because people spend most of their time idling in rush hour traffic and then once traffic opens up or they're driving in light traffic (ie, weekends) they really don't know wtf they're doing.

Bad drivers are spread across all racial groups. Some groups are notorious for doing one thing or another (If u really want to know what I think they are, I'll tell you).
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 07:57 AM   #34
Compos Mentis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Arctic 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR
Further more, I took offence to the lashing out at 17 year olds. The guy who rear ended you could have been 27, just the same, your car is still whacked, so does it matter who rear ended you? I started driving at 17 and 2 years on from that, I have never crashed but that's not to say I havn't had my fun either.
All drivers lack experience when they first start, whether at 17 or just arriving in this country. 17 year olds especially suck because they think they are SO smart. Get over it.
Everyone else knows it, and tries to stay away from you, and anyone else that is likely to cause an accident.
Some people don't get it, and get into situations that is just an accident waiting to happen, like tailgating, running red lights, left lane offenses, too fast-too slow, etc. etc. etc..

I try not to let someone else's mistake cause me to get into an accident. (In RC airplanes, they say to "fly two mistakes high". )
18000 miles...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 08:09 AM   #35
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by espo89
with one exception: If you are going to drive in the US (or any other country for that matter) you need to understand the laws and follow them. Ignorance is not an excuse.
But remember what they say. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. Of course everyone needs to follow the laws of the country they're driving in. But that would be in an ideal world, and unfortunately when we're awake, that's not the world we're living in.

Bad drivers don't irritate me anymore. I don't even notice them half the time. My passengers always comment how calm I am when someone cuts me off, veers into my lane etc. They say they would be on the horn, flashing their lights or whatver. But the way I see it, you can honk your horn, flash your lights, give them the death stare, flick them off, or whatever, but at the end of the day they're not going to learn anything or change their driving style. Keep your focus on the situation around you instead of the last dickhead that almost collected your car. As soon as you lose situational awareness you, too, become a bad driver.

I was taught to drive by an ex race driver. One point he couldn't stress to me enough was: being on the road is like being on a battlefield. Always think everyone around is out to get you and your car. No matter how good your battle plan or how well you can drive, always know your escape options.

So keep scanning those mirrors, expect the unexpected, and just relax. You and your passengers will have a much more comfortable ride..

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 09:25 AM   #36
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
Apart from the car being hit is a E90
This thread has got nothing to do with E90.

and this thread real sucks.
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 09:27 AM   #37
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

do you guys see a difference between saying

a 17 year old/race... hit my car

and all 17 year olds/race.... are bad drivers

am i crazy, as I think those 2 statements hold completely different meaning
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 09:48 AM   #38
Compos Mentis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Arctic 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
do you guys see a difference between saying

a 17 year old/race... hit my car

and all 17 year olds/race.... are bad drivers

am i crazy, as I think those 2 statements hold completely different meaning
Yes there's a difference. We just want to tweak the 17 year olds - but they already know that, don't they?
18000 miles...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 09:51 AM   #39
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR
Next time you see a 17 year old, just remember what he's forked out to be on the road

Har.

Name one 17 year old who has purchased a BMW with money they earned (not inherited).

As most insurance companies urge, the driving age should be 21. Teenager's brains just aren't developed enough to drive.
      12-15-2005, 10:09 AM   #40
Cory1000
God
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

its not only 17 year old that suck at driving, there are alot of 40-50 year old that cant drive for shit too...and have the people out there cant drive...they are called women... (lol)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 10:59 AM   #41
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntlaw
Apart from the car being hit is a E90
This thread has got nothing to do with E90.

and this thread real sucks.
It did take the off ramp pretty quick didn't it?

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 11:08 AM   #42
underDAWG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 on Stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett
People do not respect other passion for cars... So I drive defensivly and park in BFE.
-Garrett
What is BFE?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 11:16 AM   #43
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by underDAWG
What is BFE?
Between Fine Exotics?? I don't know but it kind of fits.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2005, 11:50 AM   #44
SiR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 525i, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmosblau
the driving age should be 21. Teenager's brains just aren't developed enough to drive.
Thats a terrible plan. In the end, the higher insurance segment will be higher permium, and 21 year olds will not as experience be as current 21 year olds. The day that happens is when American drinking limit is lower to 18 and drafting to the military is lower to 16. (thats for the high school drop outs since we hate the young and future of our country)
Appreciate 0