E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > OH GLORIOUS DAY!!! Dealer turned off my seatbelt chime!!!

11-28-2005, 09:29 AM   #1
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
OH GLORIOUS DAY!!! Dealer turned off my seatbelt chime!!!

Note: I wear my seatbelt. I put it on after I start my car. The seatbelt chime annoys me. DO NOT turn this into another "just wear your seatbelt" thread.

No kidding.

My chime has gone kinda nuts since the weather got cold. It has become loud and scratchy -- like a blown speaker.

I took it in to get that fixed and get the software update (I have been waiting for an excuse to bring her in for that).

At first the saleslady didn't believe me and said, "we're not gonna turn that off" (the seatbelt chime).

When I went back Saturday to pick up the car, she apologized. She said she didn't believe me at first, but since wrote on the invoice "seatbelt chime sounds like dead cat". (I'm not sure dead cats make noise, hmmm)

She said they had to order a whole new instrument cluster for me and it'd be in in about 5 days.

Thanks, I go to leave, start the car without my seatbelt on -- no chime! I thought the software update may have changed the chime to only ring as you start driving. So, I pull away (in the parking lot) to see if it started chiming -- nothing!

I guess they disconnected the speaker so I wouldn't have to listen to it while the new cluster is on order.

IT'S BLISS!!!

I can now put my seatbelt on when I want, have the car door open while I listen to the radio, have my wife take off her seatbelt two seconds before I drop her off, not hear that YES IT'S COLD today.

And all of these warnings are prominantly displayed on the instument cluster. So, I am not missing a thing.

The only down side, is that I can't hear my turn signal. It was getting loud too and I am not really missing it after a couple days of driving. I do note the flashers more in my peripheral vision now.

So, anyway, I am thinking of not bringing the car back and telling them thanks but no thanks. The car is perfect now.

Ahhhhh, no more ding.

PS Can anyone with the software update confirm when the chime starts? When you start your car or when you start to drive -- with no seatbelt.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 09:40 AM   #2
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
I dont know the answer to your questions about the s/w update, but I will agree that the chime is annoying. Especially since it goes in pairs and chimes when you start the engine. I tried for a while to see if I was just putting it slow and thus the second chime went off, but that wasnt it. Then I thought that the chime only chimes in pairs, but when I was playing with the speed limiter the chime chimed a single chime.

No chime at engine start would be nice. Then again, good thing their chime is barable, not like something on a Ford that makes me cringe.

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 10:39 AM   #3
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
so they disconnect the speaker for the warning??/ do you have idrive? if so, does this stop the sound if i wanted to use voice command??? point me to the speaker please....
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 10:41 AM   #4
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran
so they disconnect the speaker for the warning??/ do you have idrive? if so, does this stop the sound if i wanted to use voice command??? point me to the speaker please....
I don't have iDrive. All I know is the speaker is in the instrument cluster. I suspect it is not easy to get to -- at least not for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 11:21 AM   #5
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
yes, seat belt chime is freaking annoying. you get used to it though.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 07:02 PM   #6
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
but since wrote on the invoice "seatbelt chime sounds like dead cat".
It does now!!!
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 07:22 PM   #7
Mikey3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90..... soon....

hahahahaaha " seatbelt chime sounds like a dead cat"

ohhhhh funny.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 07:37 PM   #8
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

this is good to know.. i still can not believe this is the best option. i really would think you could sign a piece of paper, and they could type in a code that turns off JUST the seatbelt chime. i dont mind the low gas chime.
When i got the software update, i went right across the street to the gas station to get up, and i pull out of the dealership and the chime didnt go off. and i was amazed. literally jaw dropped amazed because i thought the chime was never gonna go off. 4 minutes later when i got to the gas station, it started. so the software update might have made it so it doesnt start till after driving or something. but its just as annoying.
p.s. i WAS planning on risking my life on the 4 minute drive with no seatbelt. im a rebel and a daredevil. talk shit about me not wearing myseatbelt for 4-5 minute drives all you guys want.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 07:43 PM   #9
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdheaven
p.s. i WAS planning on risking my life on the 4 minute drive with no seatbelt. im a rebel and a daredevil. talk shit about me not wearing myseatbelt for 4-5 minute drives all you guys want.
Appreciate 0