BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
greensto
Wild Card
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Conversion

Vogtland Coilover Review

I was looking around for coilovers for my 135i for quite some time and was debating between the ST's and KW V1's since they appeared to suit my needs for lowering the car to exactly where I wanted and providing a slightly stiffer ride with improved handling. Previously having Vogtland coilovers on my Audi A4 and being very satisfied with them, I discovered that there was an option for my 135i. I looked for reviews, but could hardly find anything. That was a little worrisome at first but, after seeing how similar the Vogtlands were to the ST's and KW's in terms of spring rate and structure, I decided to contact them. Although sometimes a little slow to respond, they provided pictures upon request to satisfy my concerns that I would be receiving a quality product that would be right for my car. The coilovers were packaged extremely well within two boxes and they looked beautiful.

Installation was the same as any other coilover system for our cars, however, these did not come with a top hat for the fronts, so the OEM ones had to be removed from the old and bolted to the new. Installation went smoothly and the provided tool made it straightforward to adjust to my likings. I didn't want to slam it and make the ride jarring, so I lowered it approximately 1.75" in the back and 2.25" in the front for a slight rake look. I know the ride will settle a bit, so I will likely end up with something around 2" drop in the back and 2.5" drop in the front. I may have kept it slightly higher if I lived up north where you can find potholes, but the roads here in Florida are very flat. I can always adjust the fronts if I need to by removing the wheel and just turning a knob.

I got into my car with my friend for a test drive (with the stock springs loaded in the trunk). To be honest, the Vogtlands exceeded my expectations. As I turned the steering wheel back and forth quickly, I didn't expect the responsiveness that I felt. They were worlds beyond my experience with the coilovers on my Audi. The ride is definitely stiffer than stock, but still smooth a stock-like in normal driving. Of course, the benefit of reducing wheel gap is always a huge plus too. The only downfall that I see with these coilovers is that they do not have adjustable dampening (but I don't track my car) and they are more prone to corrosion than the KW's because of the material (but I don't have to worry about that in Florida). Overall, the Vogtland system is a great set-up for street use and gives you great adjusting ability. I will let you guys know any updates after putting on some miles. For now, I will be enjoying them every time I get into my car

Here we go...

So old...

So fresh and so clean...

Now to the fronts...

Oops too low...

That's better...

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you.

Last edited by greensto; 03-21-2013 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Very nice I need to make up my mind on suspension
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Nice write up, and the coils look good, they appear to be well made?? Cars looking bad ass! I know I just mentioned that on your last thread but have to give props when due
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Thank you for this review

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
greensto
Wild Card
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
Thank you for this review
No problem at all. It was exactly what I would have wanted to know before ordering coilovers from a company, so I figured I'd help the community out since that's what it's here for.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
greensto
Wild Card
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1 View Post
Very nice I need to make up my mind on suspension
Coilovers instead of springs are really worth the upgrade in my opinion. They dramatically change the look and performance of every day driving without the amount of rebound you find with most springs. I'm not connected to Vogtland, but do support their product after having used their coilovers for years without issues.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Looks great. That is one of the mods which I am looking now when summer is coming...
How does that feels?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Great review thanks!
      03-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
greensto
Wild Card
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
Looks great. That is one of the mods which I am looking now when summer is coming...
How does that feels?
Feels good

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #10
Onezie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Awesome review! I was in the same boat as far as my initial considerations for coilovers. Now i am considering these as well. Did u get these from a vendor on here?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
greensto
Wild Card
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dreamin View Post
Awesome review! I was in the same boat as far as my initial considerations for coilovers. Now i am considering these as well. Did u get these from a vendor on here?
They are still performing amazingly. I contacted Vogtland NA directly.

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #12
NWillard77
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i sparkling grey/red

Greensto,

can you update this on how theyre holding up? I had votgland on my B7A4 i sold for the 1er. They were great for the money and i have found the e82 votglands for $811! Its between these or the ST's. Just interested in how the votglands are holding up through the past year or so. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 06:45 AM   #13
greensto
Wild Card
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_pissah View Post
Greensto,

can you update this on how theyre holding up? I had votgland on my B7A4 i sold for the 1er. They were great for the money and i have found the e82 votglands for $811! Its between these or the ST's. Just interested in how the votglands are holding up through the past year or so. Thanks!
My Vogtlands are doing great so far and I still love the ride. I say go for them. You won't regret it!

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #14
NWillard77
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i sparkling grey/red

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensto View Post
My Vogtlands are doing great so far and I still love the ride. I say go for them. You won't regret it!
Thanks for the reply! Votgland it is!!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #15
greensto
Wild Card
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_pissah View Post
Thanks for the reply! Votgland it is!!

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #16
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Location: Milky Way, Earth, North America, Arizona more specifically.

Greensto, thanks for the detailed review. Any idea what the MINIMUM lowering is with these? For instance if I only wanted to drop .25-.5" over the stock M Sport height, could I? Most coilovers are such that you HAVE to drop at least an inch or so at minimum, whether you wanted to or not.

"Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak".
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #17
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllwwgn View Post
Greensto, thanks for the detailed review. Any idea what the MINIMUM lowering is with these? For instance if I only wanted to drop .25-.5" over the stock M Sport height, could I? Most coilovers are such that you HAVE to drop at least an inch or so at minimum, whether you wanted to or not.
KW Street Comfort's. They can be set at almost stock height iirc, ranging from less than half an inch to 1.2 or so? (10-30 mm).

BMW Performance springs also lower the car by only 10 milimetres.
      02-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #18
yllwwgn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Location: Milky Way, Earth, North America, Arizona more specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
KW Street Comfort's. They can be set at almost stock height iirc, ranging from less than half an inch to 1.2 or so? (10-30 mm).

BMW Performance springs also lower the car by only 10 milimetres.
Yup, the BMWP springs I was aware of, but was curious of some of the coilover setups. Good to know the KW Street Comforts can be set that high, thanks!

"Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak".
Appreciate 0