BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-06-2015, 07:16 AM   #67
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Side note about the V max: 1M was never limited to 250 km/h as it was stated in official BMW documents, it was still governed but at 266 km/h or 165/166 mph (GPS proven) from the factory, this was documented many times by members including myself. Yet another unwritten fact (and fittingly so with the underrated persona of the 1M) which tells us that it was already with a driver's package installed (secretly by the M engineers ? ).
So, the M2 will be 4 km/h faster, but only when you pay for the optional driver's package. Let's name it progress and leave it there.
Hoping to see soon an honest and competent apples to apples comparo between the two (manual to manual with same -PSS- tires on both cars and a dyno would be nice too) which I bet would show us how timid the differences in all areas, a la the issue of vmax!
One may reasonably consider the official 270 km/h quote by BMW for the M2 featuring the M Driver's Package (which does not alter the engine, except for removing the 250 km/h limiter) as rather "conservative", alike the official 465+35 Nm and 370hp quotes. It will be more IRL.
      11-06-2015, 07:56 AM   #68
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
One may reasonably consider the official 270 km/h quote by BMW for the M2 featuring the M Driver's Package (which does not alter the engine, except for removing the 250 km/h limiter) as rather "conservative", alike the official 465+35 Nm and 370hp quotes. It will be more IRL.
1M's facts are simply facts, the M2's real life performance is yet to be seen and checked. I would not be surprised if M2 won't be as "underrated" as the 1M. Remember how BMW itself tried to place M235i equal to (or even better than) the 1M which was not backed by any tests? The history and philosophy behind the two are completely different imo.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 08:25 AM   #69
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
1M's facts are simply facts, the M2's real life performance is yet to be seen and checked. I would not be surprised if M2 won't be as "underrated" as the 1M. Remember how BMW itself tried to place M235i equal to (or even better than) the 1M which was not backed by any tests? The history and philosophy behind the two are completely different imo.
Point taken. I believe to have heard or read somewhere someday that initial plans for delimiting the 1M V-max were shelved for safety reasons. Was always a bit confusing that, officially, the 1M V-max was limited to 250 km/h, while most noticed that it kept going beyond that figure.

As you also acknowledged in posts of the past, the 1M does not feel very stable at very high speed. It's a matter of confidence. My former M3 cars felt a little more planted at very high velocity. Could be just in the mind, though I noticed it a couple of times on the Autobahn, especially with some side wind. Point to note: my 1M was always stock height + stock suspension, never lowered.

Or it's maybe related to the hood lift at high(er) speeds: you don't want that single hood lock to fail, or as I commented in an earlier comment: "in hood lock we trust". See the hood lift thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938791. With the M2/M3/M4 the hood was redesigned to feature two hood locks.

Let's see how the M2 behaves at very high speed, stability wise + much more important, how it gets through the twisties when put to the test in the mountains. In the end, ///M cars aren't about straight line speed.

11-06-2015, 09:03 AM   #70
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Point taken. I believe to have heard or read somewhere someday that initial plans for delimiting the 1M V-max were shelved for safety reasons. Was always a bit confusing that, officially, the 1M V-max was limited to 250 km/h, while most noticed that it kept going beyond that figure.

As you also acknowledged in posts of the past, the 1M does not feel very stable at very high speed. It's a matter of confidence. My former M3 cars felt a little more planted at very high velocity. Could be just in the mind, though I noticed it a couple of times on the Autobahn, especially with some side wind. Point to note: my 1M was always stock height + stock suspension, never lowered.

Or it's maybe related to the hood lift at high(er) speeds: you don't want that single hood lock to fail, or as I commented in an earlier comment: "in hood lock we trust". See the hood lift thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938791. With the M2/M3/M4 the hood was redesigned to feature two hood locks.

Let's see how the M2 behaves at very high speed, stability wise + much more important, how it gets through the twisties when put to the test in the mountains. In the end, ///M cars aren't about straight line speed.

I have zero doubt that the M2 will have much better stability close to its top speed, like you said, many cars before the 1M did a way better job in high speed stability (and sense of security). Indeed, it was hard to do it worse! But honestly 1M was not designed for high speed cruising purposes; for me it was the best car you could really enjoy between 60 km/h to let's say 200 or so. It was a flying brick on roads that you could let go
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #71
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

1M doesn't feel planted at high speed but that's what makes it exciting. Everyone wants to sip lattes at 150 mph but actually a little boring. Going fast in 1M can make you nervous and knees week which is part of the magic in my humble opinion.

Last edited by nachob; 11-07-2015 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 1