BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #45
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 325i, 2012 135i

Does it work?

I request that anyone who has the new software (ISTA/P V2.47) installed to provide their comments as to if and how it worked. Rather than start a new thread I think this would be a good place for results of the new software.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #46
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz135i View Post
I can't figure out how they installed my PPK a few weeks ago, yet my car was produced in March 2012. My boyfriend seems to think they either didn't really install it, or they gave me the wrong thing (which I find impossible). When I initially got the car in June, I went to get the Dinan tune and when they hooked it up to the computer, they got an error because of some "new software" that Dinan has not been able to figure out yet. So, if I have this new software, how did I get the PPK?? I find this all so confusing!

Is there a way I can confirm which version software my car has?
Noop. That is the problem. Life would be so much easier IF we could read the SW level of our cars. And then compare it after a "service".

Right now only a dealer or an indo with a GT1 scan tool can read the SW level.

When BMW first came out with this anti-tuner SW... it use to be that it changed your DSC light (when turned off fully!) to a skidding car. But later on some member reported BMW stopped doing that.

Also IF you let out some air from one of the tires... the new TPMS will point to that low tire. I am not sure IF this is still the case with BMW latest SW flash.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #47
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
I can't figure out how they installed my PPK a few weeks ago, yet my car was produced in March 2012. My boyfriend seems to think they either didn't really install it, or they gave me the wrong thing (which I find impossible). When I initially got the car in June, I went to get the Dinan tune and when they hooked it up to the computer, they got an error because of some "new software" that Dinan has not been able to figure out yet. So, if I have this new software, how did I get the PPK?? I find this all so confusing!

Thats a real head scratcher. I could see it happening though. Dinan and BMW are seperate companys after all. Kinda like local police depts and FBI not knowing what the other is doing. Lack of communication between the two could easily account for them not knowing what info is installed on you car. I would start at the BMW where you had it done. Ask them what version and see what they say. Ask them to detail. Did they put the PPK tags underhood and door jamb? What do they say? Receipt states what?
Let us know what you come up with.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #48
Mikbek
1Er Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
Smile Solution - New DME

I have been reading this post and have been talking with my dealer, Zimbrick of Madison, WI for several (over two months actually) weeks. We have mutually agreed as of today that they are going to replace the DME with a new series that does not have the programming issue. They have acknowledged that it is not a cheap fix for them but I do have a PPK as part of my contract and they ultimately want me to be happy as a customer in general. From what I have read here and other places BMW's fix to the current DME may not be till December of this year or who knows when. Because it affects relatively few cars and I do not see them or anyone putting a big priority on this as how many purchasers really care and want the modifications we do. I am proud of my dealer for stepping up to the plate. I am wondering what some of you others in the same boat are dealing with and what your dealers are telling you. I also spoke to an engineer at Dinan to have him give me a second opinion and he said they are working on a fix but months is not unreasonable as a time frame to come up with a way to go around it and this is a company BMW actually works with. Think of the others that BMW does not share any tech with. Anyway, curious to hear what any of you are hearing on the street. I expect a fix in a reasonable time or I was prepared to force a new car into the situation. Again, for me and many of you it has been two months or more already. I and any of you in the same boat risk having a "bastard" DME that will probably never work properly. Is it any mistake it was used for only three months or so? Any feedback is appreciated. Lots of you are much more knowledgeable than I am.
      07-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #49
Sindarin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Why do you need a DME? ISTA/P 2.47 fixes the PPK from 3/2012 production issue.

I'm going to install PPK1 on my car tomorrow with 2.47.2. I'll let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #50
Mikbek
1Er Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
How do you know that will fix it? Do you have dyno numbers for before and are you going to dyno after to verify or will you have to rely on the butt dyno? After so much time and BMW not using that series of DME anymore I am suspicious to say the least. If it were that easy my dealer is pretty foolish putting in a new DME. They could just show me the appropriate paperwork showing me how the fix is wonderful and my problems are solved. I would at least want some official documents. The whole situation smells of more than whether or not the DME will accept their PPK in my mind.
      07-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #51
Sindarin
Private First Class
Rep

Wow. Sounds like you know more then me. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #52
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindarin View Post
Wow. Sounds like you know more then me. Good luck.
Sindarin - please let us know how your PPK SW download goes.

Thanks
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #53
Mikbek
1Er Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I plan on taking my car to a local service shop to take serial numbers from the dme tomorrow just to verify it actually gets switched out. Trust but verify is my motto. I think this is a bigger deal than many of you think. The cars built between March 2012 & June will end up being very, very undesirable for this reason. What do we not know???? There is no way it is simply a PPK tune acceptance issue. That would be a simple wipe and reprogram right???
      07-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #54
Sindarin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Sindarin - please let us know how your PPK SW download goes.

Thanks
Dackel
Programming went perfect, no problems. As for the PPK1, I like it. Throttle response seems a little better. Engine seems more response to rev when blipping for downshifts now although it is subtle. The added exhaust 'burble' on decel/overrun sounds great. While I didn't beat on it hard since I still have under 1000 miles it definitely pulls harder when getting on it and retains the smooth power delivery. Not as hard as some aftermarket tuned cars I've driven but they tended to be a little more peaky as well.

Just to note my car doesn't have option code S840 which, according to the BMW accessories website, is required for PPK (even though my car has oil to air cooler and standard sport suspension with performance summer tires). I thought I might run into issues programming but everything went though fine. Apparently this requirement has been quietly removed but hasn't been updated on the website yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #55
Sindarin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Easiest way to tell if your car has PPK I found is simply rev the engine in neutral a little after it has warmed up and you will hear the burble/popping from the exhaust as the engine rpm drop.

Your dealer can also hook the vehicle up to diagnosis and check the Vehicle Order to see if the VO element 'NPOW' has been added. This is the PPK software.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #56
Ejpatch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i cv

My dealer returned my $940 until there is some kind of change....
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #57
Mikbek
1Er Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I am due to get a new DME as well as PPK1 installed next week. I will report here when it is complete.
      07-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #58
Mikbek
1Er Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Does anyone plan on getting the Dinan Stage II tune verse the PPK1 after the ISTA/P 2.47 is installed on their DME? I think I am going to go with it verse the PPK1 for the extra HP & torque. I have my appointment to have my car done this coming Monday. Also, Sindarin, you are correct with the DME. After a long discussion with the Service & Parts director at my dealership there is no reason to actually replace the DME after the complete reprogram. I am cautiously optimistic about everything going well. Having over 350HP and over 400 ft/lbs of torque VIA Dinan Stage II when I pick up the car will make it all good though I am sure.
      07-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #59
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikbek View Post
Having over 350HP and over 400 ft/lbs of torque VIA Dinan Stage II when I pick up the car will make it all good though I am sure.
Sounds like fun! As long as you've got the 2k to spend, I say go for it!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #60
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Received word from my dealer that the new s/w is in and appears to work alright. I am taking my car in today to have it installed as well as the PPK1. Wish me luck in all working. I have to put on a few hundred miles today so I will test it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #61
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sochermit View Post
Received word from my dealer that the new s/w is in and appears to work alright. I am taking my car in today to have it installed as well as the PPK1. Wish me luck in all working. I have to put on a few hundred miles today so I will test it out.
Finally had the PPK1 installed. Due to updates from the time the car was manufactured to yesterday it took around 6 hrs to complete the entire process.

I did not think that I would be able to tell the difference with the PPK1 installed. I can now say that I did notice the difference and it is really good. I could feel the loss of, just a little, lag. I am very happy to have gotten the PPK1.

I found a nice stretch of road, put it in S1, pressed the SPORT button and took off. WOW! It seemed like I was up to 110 in no time at all.

I would highly recommend for those not doing a lot of changes to get, at least, the PPK1.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #62
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Congrats! Worth the wait.

Did the PPKI on mine last year. Driving a familar road with the new found power was great. Under hard accel the car was struggling to keep rear wheel traction at speeds the car was fully planted at before the tune. It pulls with more authority, especially off the line and midrange. 20hp/32ft lbs is just what the DR ordered. For those worried about the warranty the PPK is a great way to go.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #63
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sochermit View Post
Finally had the PPK1 installed. Due to updates from the time the car was manufactured to yesterday it took around 6 hrs to complete the entire process.
Glad you finally got this resolved. I think you were the first one around here to post the issue.
      08-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #64
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
Glad you finally got this resolved. I think you were the first one around here to post the issue.
So am I. One reason I wanted to get this resolved was I paid for the pkg and installation (free) at the time I purchased the vehicle. Yesterday they presented me with a bill for everything. I informed them that it was already paid for so they gave me a receipt with nothing paid and nothing owed.

Once again I would like to say how great I think this pkg is. The throttle response etc is so much smoother.
Appreciate 0