BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-22-2016, 07:35 AM   #1
hexagone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e46/30

Considering selling my M-Sport 128i - input needed

I wanted to get some input on pricing my 128i for sale. Recent living and work needs may allow me to not need a commuter car anymore, so I’m debating putting it up.

I understand that M-Sport 128i’s are fairly desirable, even more so in 6sp with particular options, which this one is fully loaded with. So with that said this is what I’ve got:

2011 128i
43,000 mi
6-speed
Black Sapphire/Coral Red/Gray Wood
Clean Blackstone oil results
Needs nothing mechanically
9/10 Condition
M-Sport Package
Premium Package
Convenience Package
Lights Package
Sunroof
Adaptive Xenons
Harman Kardon
Comfort Access
PDC/Rain Sensor

Is $20k a good place to start?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 11:37 AM   #2
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Let's examine your first statement, emphasize on the word "may".

Now, that word is not "can't", therefore you shall not sell the 1er.

You may remove such heretical thoughts from mind.
      01-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #3
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Sell it and buy a honda. Traitor.
      01-22-2016, 01:42 PM   #4
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

They're rare indeed. Prior to picking up my 6MT 128i, I saw several sit on the market for a long time and others snatched up in 24 hours. The caveat with selling these cars is the number of people looking for that combo is quite low as well. There is a select group that appreciate the unusual build combination. Most people want the latest and greatest with the most power that you can put down on the pavement.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 07:32 PM   #5
ChillFill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport Coupé

Wait I just need clarification.. the reason you want to sell your 1er is because your job situation no longer requires you to?

Imho, 1ers are not practical cars for much of anything. They're fun to drive circus machines, that should be taken on twisty country roads for that straight six to open up!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 07:44 PM   #6
hexagone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e46/30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexResistance View Post
Sell it and buy a honda. Traitor.
Actually, i got rid of my S54 Z4M and Z3M coupe and consolidated to this as my daily. But if I don't have to commute I'd like to get back into an 'actual' sports car
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 08:18 PM   #7
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexagone View Post
Actually, i got rid of my S54 Z4M and Z3M coupe and consolidated to this as my daily. But if I don't have to commute I'd like to get back into an 'actual' sports car
I wasn't serious of course.
      01-22-2016, 10:32 PM   #8
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillFill View Post
Imho, 1ers are not practical cars for much of anything.
I actually do not agree with this. If the car only has the driver in it, plus either a passenger or a reasonably sized dog (pick whichever you prefer!), for its size the 1M can carry a fair amount of shit.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 10:45 PM   #9
ChillFill
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I actually do not agree with this. If the car only has the driver in it, plus either a passenger or a reasonably sized dog (pick whichever you prefer!), for its size the 1M can carry a fair amount of shit.
That's true, if you're carrying groceries. I love my 135i, it's perfect for me. But if it were the only car of the household, transporting anything a bit larger, like a tv, or even my guitar is impossible. And fitting more than 2 full size adults is a struggle!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 11:10 PM   #10
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
That's true, if you're carrying groceries. I love my 135i, it's perfect for me. But if it were the only car of the household, transporting anything a bit larger, like a tv, or even my guitar is impossible. And fitting more than 2 full size adults is a struggle!
You know you can drop the back seats down and then you have a pretty generous area to fill, right? Even with the seats up the trunk is a good size.
      01-22-2016, 11:17 PM   #11
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
You know you can drop the back seats down and then you have a pretty generous area to fill, right?
And I didn't purchase my car based on what I do 1% of the time. Mostly it's just me, me and my wife or me and my wife and some luggage. Anything bigger and there's always U-Haul (or Home Depot at $19.00/75 minutes)
      01-22-2016, 11:17 PM   #12
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Oh, and how damn big is your guitar?
      01-22-2016, 11:20 PM   #13
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Oh, and how damn big is your guitar?
Exactly...
      01-22-2016, 11:31 PM   #14
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How often do you transport a large flat screen TV or other large item? For me, it is about 1X per year.

I would prefer to drive a car that I enjoy driving, that can carry what I need to carry 99% of the time. On those rare occasions when something larger is needed, I'd rather just rent it for a day.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 11:36 PM   #15
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexagone View Post
I wanted to get some input on pricing my 128i for sale. Recent living and work needs may allow me to not need a commuter car anymore, so I’m debating putting it up.

I understand that M-Sport 128i’s are fairly desirable, even more so in 6sp with particular options,

Is $20k a good place to start?
The problem is your competition, which is a decked out 135i.

True, 128i vehicles outfitted with elements of the sports package and a 6MT are fairly rare, but they have their value limited by the huge number of similarly equipped 135i cars, which are not so rare. The resale values of these are quite compressed, and all other things being equal, I'd take the 135i over the 128i, whose only claim to fame is that it is naturally aspirated and hence, "more pure."

Truth be told, NA and "purity," plus $1.25, will buy you a copy of your local paper.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 12:04 AM   #16
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:

True, 128i vehicles outfitted with elements of the sports package and a 6MT are fairly rare, but they have their value limited by the huge number of similarly equipped 135i cars, which are not so rare. The resale values of these are quite compressed, and all other things being equal, I'd take the 135i over the 128i, whose only claim to fame is that it is naturally aspirated and hence, "more pure."

Truth be told, NA and "purity," plus $1.25, will buy you a copy of your local paper.
Not bad input by any means, but why not offer something more constructive - as in, what do you think the car is worth? Surely not nothing, just because the 135i also exists? And I'm not being cheeky at all - I'm honestly asking your opinion.

The market for 6MT 128i's surely exists, but there is apparently disagreement as to what the market will bear in terms of cost. I do agree that values will be negatively impacted by how much a similarly optioned 135i is worth, but that doesn't mean that someone selling a nice 128i should expect to have to give it away.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 12:16 AM   #17
ChillFill
Private First Class
Rep

wow you guys really enjoy taking a shit on me. I own an electric guitar, which requires an amp. My 12" speaker+amp head won't fit like they did in my e46.

Another example I was referring to, I was at best buy with my father for the purchase of his new desktop, it didn't fit either. And yes I am aware the seats go down I'm not an idiot.

It doesn't matter "how often" you have to transport something larger than normal. What I meant was when you do, the car is not practical.

My initial statement was taken way out of context. I love my car and said that the 1er is meant as a fun to drive enthusiast's car, it was not meant for practicality. Of course you can transport daily baggage, groceries, what have you.. I didn't think I needed to state that, it's commons sense

Last edited by ChillFill; 01-23-2016 at 12:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 12:18 AM   #18
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:

Having owned multiple BMWs, including NA's, M's and my current 135is, I would not be so quick to dismiss a clean, well optioned M-sport 128i 6MT. I think the OP will find a strong market for his car. Sure, the market is smaller and demand is enthusiast-driven, but the supply of such cars is limited.

Best of luck to the OP if you do decide you *must* sell what sounds like a great car.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2016, 04:14 AM   #19
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
wow you guys really enjoy taking a shit on me. I own an electric guitar, which requires an amp. My 12" speaker+amp head won't fit like they did in my e46.

Another example I was referring to, I was at best buy with my father for the purchase of his new desktop, it didn't fit either. And yes I am aware the seats go down I'm not an idiot.

It doesn't matter "how often" you have to transport something larger than normal. What I meant was when you do, the car is not practical.

My initial statement was taken way out of context. I love my car and said that the 1er is meant as a fun to drive enthusiast's car, it was not meant for practicality. Of course you can transport daily baggage, groceries, what have you.. I didn't think I needed to state that, it's commons sense
Let me suggest an Econoline van to transport you and your gear to your next gig.
      01-23-2016, 05:06 AM   #20
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillFill
Wait I just need clarification.. the reason you want to sell your 1er is because your job situation no longer requires you to?

Imho, 1ers are not practical cars for much of anything. They're fun to drive circus machines, that should be taken on twisty country roads for that straight six to open up!
that's total nonsense....yes they are fun cars, but their main role is to be driven, not garaged IMO.

the 1er is a very practical car....maybe not someone who is brainwashed into believing that 'only trucks are practical and this is 'Merica so bigger is better!!!'

We have a 6 month old baby. do you KNOW how much baby shit there is?? NO issues in the 1M with the stroller, bags of stuff, portable bouncers, etc etc. And also I keep a full size spare tire in the trunk. Then with the baby comes it's mother who has even MORE stuff than the baby sometimes! With a baby comes at least one set of grandparents and a 2nd set who visit us and need to be picked up and dropped off at the airports...I do it ALL with the 1M. I bought his crib and brought it home in the 1M. No issues...no complaints at all.

I've been playing the guitar for years...WTF kind of guitar and amp can you not fit in a 1er?? Is it a guitar for giants?? a quadruple Marshall stack? I played in bands for years and played music for years...trust me your amp and guitar are nothing compared to a baby. Taking a baby somewhere is like touring with a full band. lol

I have easily fit 4 adults in the 1M. Again, is everyone you know 500 lbs??

The 1er is very practical....for me it's a total family car.....how many people can say they are using their 1M as a 'family car'?? Not many....but I'm proud of it..I hope it influences others to do the same. To do more with less.

(yes I have been up since 4:30 am because of the baby so I may be a little sleep deprived)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 05:39 AM   #21
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:

I get you...

See, many 1Addicts do not like people who dare to criticize their 1 Series because they think it's the best BMW ever made and that almost all new BMW's are bloated RWD Camrys.

The rear seats are basically useless for tall(er) adults. Hard to get in & out, not much legroom, no ventilation, no opening windows and no armrest. I only put my jacket and groceries there. The trunk is not bad at all, though.

For family stuff, we've got a Touring with a ski box. Perfect pair IMHO.

Last edited by swagon; 01-23-2016 at 05:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 05:49 AM   #22
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I get you...

See, many 1Addicts do not like people who dare to criticize their 1 Series because they think it's the best BMW ever made and that almost all new BMW's are bloated RWD Camrys.

I can totally see you driving a Camry. it would DEFINITELY suit you, man!
Appreciate 0