BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-28-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
Smallbodybimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Rear Passenger Cup Holder

Have you guys ever been on lunch shuttle duty with co-wokers or friends in the back seat, coming back from some fast food spot, with every one clutching their bag of food and drink. You ever have a 3 second mind lapse as yuo come up on that corner that you usually like to take extra hard and forget you have passengers with drinks who dont know you occasionally like to pretend you're the getaway wheelman in a bank heist? Well I do and the other day on just such an occasion, i was privy to a near miss of Hi-C fruit punch all over my back seat, and I thought to my self, "Damn. I'd kill for a decent cup holder back there."

Well my idea is for an accessory 2-cup holder that makes use of or replaces entirely that useless change bin or ashtray or whatever it is, that takes up space between the 2 rear passengers. I picture an interior color matching (black for me) plastic moulded add on or replacement that would look completely stock, but most importantly be a functional stable basis for drink storage while motoring for the 2 rear passengers. Must be able to hold large fountain drink cups found in moist American fast food joints. In other words, super duper large drinks to the rest of the world. (For reference, see documentary movie "Super Size Me".

Just wondering if anyone else thought this idea would be a useful accessory and which vendor might be willing to tackle such a product. Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
MI128
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35I M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW 128  [0.00]
That would be nice because you really only have 1 cup holder up front unless you have a drink that is 2" high.
      09-30-2008, 01:41 AM   #3
Kokanator135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: seeking m240i

I'd jump on that in a heartbeat, as I'd at least like to give 4 yr old the option of keeping her drink in back with her. As it is, I usually forgo a drink for myself to keep her drink in the only useful cupholder and keep having to hand her the drink for a sip....otherwise, she'd forget she's holding the drink between sips and there goes my carpet. Juggling this while driving stick in traffic is a pain.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 01:49 AM   #4
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

+1 i'd like to see something like this to replace my air freshener holder. lol

1000th post. woot.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 03:24 AM   #5
arok
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
+1 i'd like to see something like this to replace my air freshener holder. lol
LOL same for me
      09-30-2008, 11:30 PM   #6
Smallbodybimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI128 View Post
That would be nice because you really only have 1 cup holder up front unless you have a drink that is 2" high.
Gotta flip the arm rest completely vertical to use both up front. At least thats what I do. My problem is that the huge drink cup gets in the way of shifting gears. Be nice to put it in a rear cup holder instead. Not like I need to be sipping from it while driving. Or maybe I just need to go on a diet and refrain from the uber large cup of carbonated water, dye, and high fructose corn syrup, lol.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 11:59 PM   #7
Smallbodybimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Maybe LeatherZ can think about developing a product like this? Seems like it would be right along their product line. Paging AndyM...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
ShunRin
Registered
Rep
Drives:

When I order my 09' I am thinking of making something to go between the center arm rest and the rear passengers legs. It could be held in place by the center console in front, and could fit into the rear center useless storage plastic bin in the rear to allow it to be a stable and solid piece.

The 3 series have a solid console that runs all the way through the car, thats where I initially got the idea (yes, the RX-8 and many other cars have a solid center console too). When I sat in the back of the 1 at the dealer my knee-cap would sit right at the corner of the front arm rest, which was irritating, but bordering on moderatly painful, so it could also be nice to incorporate some sort of either pad or nice surface for the rear occupants to have some type of comfort.

Raise the rear center area (not obstructing the trunk access, have large enough cup holders where the leg well is (so they can be deep enough for stability reasons), have the "carbon fiber cloth" that seems to be popular as the top portion and the knee pad portion, and the main construction the textured plastic that the rest on the interior has. Or have the leather, or leatherette interior color matched to what you have in your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
Zoominrex
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 MG M2

i'd be so in on this too
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
G5Ti
Purveyor of fine roads.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

What is this thing you speak of…this… "drink" or "beverage." I know no such words.

The "cup" holder is merely a temporary vessel for a phone or wallet. :-) I don't think I've ever had food or drink in my car, and I'd certainly not let a passenger indulge in such madness!
      10-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #11
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Carry a soft sided small cooler in the trunk. If you have to transport beverages, unfold it and place the drinks in there. Otherside, eat lunch out. No way anyone is drinking anything sugar based in my car, or eating hamburgers or burritos in it for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 02:38 AM   #12
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
You actually allow extraneous life-forms to occupy your hot rod? What are you thinking? The other three seating positions are mere oversights by the engineers at BMW. What were they thinking? :wink:

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 09:10 AM   #13
JiveTurkey
JiveTurkey
Turkmenistan
Rep
Drives: BMW 135I SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallbodybimmer View Post
Have you guys ever been on lunch shuttle duty with co-wokers or friends in the back seat, coming back from some fast food spot, with every one clutching their bag of food and drink. You ever have a 3 second mind lapse as yuo come up on that corner that you usually like to take extra hard and forget you have passengers with drinks who dont know you occasionally like to pretend you're the getaway wheelman in a bank heist? Well I do and the other day on just such an occasion, i was privy to a near miss of Hi-C fruit punch all over my back seat, and I thought to my self, "Damn. I'd kill for a decent cup holder back there."

Well my idea is for an accessory 2-cup holder that makes use of or replaces entirely that useless change bin or ashtray or whatever it is, that takes up space between the 2 rear passengers. I picture an interior color matching (black for me) plastic moulded add on or replacement that would look completely stock, but most importantly be a functional stable basis for drink storage while motoring for the 2 rear passengers. Must be able to hold large fountain drink cups found in moist American fast food joints. In other words, super duper large drinks to the rest of the world. (For reference, see documentary movie "Super Size Me".

Just wondering if anyone else thought this idea would be a useful accessory and which vendor might be willing to tackle such a product. Thanks.

BMW has something for the rear of our car to hold drinks, sorry don't have the part # cost about 80 euro here is a pic
Attached Images

Every model the Bavarian brand produces is an engineering masterwork, manna for driving enthusiast, an internal-combustion mallet for pummeling comparison-test rivals into humiliated awe - Arthur St. Antoine
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #14
MI128
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35I M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW 128  [0.00]
That's great if you have the cold weather package but most of us just got the heated seat and just have fold down seats.
      10-27-2008, 02:37 PM   #15
Smallbodybimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
BMW has something for the rear of our car to hold drinks, sorry don't have the part # cost about 80 euro here is a pic
That would be cool if it actually stowed up and out of the way with the fold down door. Does not look to me like it would though. And as mentioned, guys without the CWP would be SOL.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 03:17 PM   #16
JiveTurkey
JiveTurkey
Turkmenistan
Rep
Drives: BMW 135I SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallbodybimmer View Post
That would be cool if it actually stowed up and out of the way with the fold down door. Does not look to me like it would though. And as mentioned, guys without the CWP would be SOL.
It does stow up and out of the way. Anywho, later this week when I have some free time, I'll head to BMW parts section and see what I can find. Maybe they have something aftermarket over here in Germany.
Every model the Bavarian brand produces is an engineering masterwork, manna for driving enthusiast, an internal-combustion mallet for pummeling comparison-test rivals into humiliated awe - Arthur St. Antoine
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #17
wtiger127
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i VERT A/W

Would that cup holder work on a 128i CAB ? We actually have a ski-pocket there. And the centerfold is wide.

Recommended Reading
08/08/08 Summer (In-Service-start)
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14493)

Winter Shoes -AW (Vert)
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19947)

The Winter 128i/135iCAB for Canadians
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19738)

1000+ Miles on new winters across the US
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19948)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #18
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

WOW...i was just thinking of the same thing. I let my buddy drive yesterday back from lunch so i <car owner> had to ride in the back of my own new car..and i realized there was no cup holder..
      11-06-2008, 09:08 PM   #19
HIPSI
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

This will work great on the back of the center console. Quality piece, easy install;
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...+cup+holder.do
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #20
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

People to leave there trash in your car i guess..
      11-07-2008, 09:12 AM   #21
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

Call me Crazy... but I thought what a cool idea for the car would be something like this...

Hydration Systems

Instead of allowing people to bring things in the car that they can spill.. put a few of these in the trunk, in a bigger container of ice. You could sip on what ever you like, and not have to worry about spills.

EspressoBoy

PS
Hydration System is hyperlinked, click on it for more options to one of my fav stores...sorry USA this is one store that kicks the lama's ass!

Juice-Bag-1 ?? 1sucky-system? BTW don't hook up a Condom Catheter, that's a whole other area for long distance driving. This is trickly intake!
      11-07-2008, 09:39 AM   #22
One&Only
Only 1 n Rome
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeak View Post
what is that tray ment for?
If you mean the black plastic tray that's imbeded in the middle of the back seats...I've been wondering what the designers imagined we'd be using that thingie for....anybody got a clue?
The depressions in it don't remind me of a thing!!! :iono: