BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

SS or Maddad?

I am almost for sure that there is no 1M out there with Evolve/Supersprint Race muffler with Maddad mids or even with non-resonated SS mids (there are a few with SS down pipes and stock mids). So, I want to ask this here as a general exhaust question, without the help of sound clips etc. for people with lots of experience in different types of mid pipes:

I have the N55 mids and Evolve Race. If I ever want to make it "louder", keeping the rear section, my best bets probably are these two: Maddad resonated/catless pipes or SS front non-catted pipe mated with SS non-resonated Y-pipe.

After the recent and ongoing SS exhaust June sale, the price is close enough, although Maddad is still a tiny bit cheaper.

Which one would you go and why?
Would the SS be louder than Maddad, because it is a straight pipe without resonators? Will it bring back the drone?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Supersprint. In all my time owning and modifying cars, no company has come close to being as consistently excellent. Perfect better than factory fitment, great build quality, made in the western world, and properly researched.

All that said, the main reason I keep coming back is because they are honest. Their dynos are true if not conservative, and in my experience they will never make up gains to get a sale. Case in point, I asked them about their 130i muffler, got a detailed response on weight and DB, and they clearly stated that it won't gain power.

Customer for life.
      06-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Supersprint. In all my time owning and modifying cars, no company has come close to being as consistently excellent. Perfect better than factory fitment, great build quality, made in the western world, and properly researched.

All that said, the main reason I keep coming back is because they are honest. Their dynos are true if not conservative, and in my experience they will never make up gains to get a sale. Case in point, I asked them about their 130i muffler, got a detailed response on weight and DB, and they clearly stated that it won't gain power.

Customer for life.
Thanks for the comment. That's indeed exactly the point why I am considering their part so seriously, over a cheaper and well known mid pipe like Maddad. SS is a great company for sure and I feel that they indeed researched and designed these parts all together. Since I am in no way going to change the stock down pipes unless one day I go for a tune which remains highly unlikely, it may be my best bet for a perfect fit and unique exhaust sound.

I also worry about how Maddad and Evolve Race could syncro in terms of sound. Could be great or not, depends. It was the main concern for me from the start, that's why I went with the less risky N55 initially because they are closer to stock, much quieter while Maddad has a very distinct sound through its twin resonators. It is almost made for upgrading N54 engined cars with stock muffler.

I sure don't want to mess up with my Evolve Race's sound or replace it, absolutely love it; just could be even more juicier a bit if the drone remains absent or very low as it is now. N55 seems to be great in every other aspect (response, power, drone) but it may be limiting the Race muffler sound.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Maddad adds a deep rumble and bark. It really "booms" under acceleration. You need resonators, else it will become raspy IMO. The Maddads are a very well made unit and probably my favourite mod (I had them 3 months before the 1M arrived). About to pair mine to an Akra.

SS are great too, but no resonators will be very raw and raspy I would think... Drone for sure
Drone is what I am afraid of. I don't want to pay for a slight upgrade in sound and invite back the drone. There is also a resonated Y-pipe option from SS but then there may be no advantage left over the Maddads especially it will also be more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Resonators in the middle such as Akra, Berk, Maddad vs those at the Y-piece
Maddad comes at 689.95 USD. On the other hand a SS catless front pipe mated with a non-resonated Y-pipe comes at 708.05 USD and now hold your breath if you add resonated Y-pipe instead price jumps to 1147.16 USD, almost double of Maddad which itself is almost double of N55 mids!

And these are sales prices, much better than Euro SS web site prices

Last edited by ozinaldo; 06-22-2013 at 11:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
River Rat
Private First Class
Rep

I have the supersprint catless front with non resonated y-pipe on my car. Its music to the ears!! I ordered direct from Italy over a year ago and paid $755 usd.. so the GMP sales price is a good deal.. good luck with your decision..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
I have the supersprint catless front with non resonated y-pipe on my car. Its music to the ears!! I ordered direct from Italy over a year ago and paid $755 usd.. so the GMP sales price is a good deal.. good luck with your decision..
Great! Thanks a lot for the picture as well. So tell me more please: what else do you have, is it just this or down pipes and/or muffler as well? I want to understand what difference exactly these two pieces together makes.

What about drone?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 04:08 AM   #8
River Rat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Great! Thanks a lot for the picture as well. So tell me more please: what else do you have, is it just this or down pipes and/or muffler as well? I want to understand what difference exactly these two pieces together makes.

What about drone?
For a couple months, I had the Supersprint mids with the stock muffer.. The sound was ok, but I wanted more!! Now, I have it paired with the GT Haus Meisterschaft back and its awesome My buddy has the same Evolve race with Berk mids, and together is not much louder than the stock sound.

When you ask, if there is drone? I have a bit around 2500rpms in certain gears, since most of my exhaust is straight piped this is the norm... And recently I installed some power bars.. check out http://www.sixth-element.com/english...lus/index.html , It has seemed to reduce the cabin noise..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
For a couple months, I had the Supersprint mids with the stock muffer.. The sound was ok, but I wanted more!! Now, I have it paired with the GT Haus Meisterschaft back and its awesome My buddy has the same Evolve race with Berk mids, and together is not much louder than the stock sound.

When you ask, if there is drone? I have a bit around 2500rpms in certain gears, since most of my exhaust is straight piped this is the norm... And recently I installed some power bars.. check out http://www.sixth-element.com/english...lus/index.html , It has seemed to reduce the cabin noise..
Your buddy's set up must be similar to mine since both N55 mids and Berk are notorious for not being loud, so they keep the Race muffler a bit tamed. With Maddad or SS straight pipe this should change.

I think your drone comes mainly from Meisterschaft rear, almost everyone reported the same with that exhaust.

Your actual exhaust combo must be really loud!

Last edited by ozinaldo; 06-22-2013 at 11:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Thanks for the comment. That's indeed exactly the point why I am considering their part so seriously, over a cheaper and well known mid pipe like Maddad. SS is a great company for sure and I feel that they indeed researched and designed these parts all together. Since I am in no way going to change the stock down pipes unless one day I go for a tune which remains highly unlikely, it may be my best bet for a perfect fit and unique exhaust sound.

I also worry about how Maddad and Evolve Race could syncro in terms of sound. Could be great or not, depends. It was the main concern for me from the start, that's why I went with the less risky N55 initially because they are closer to stock, much quieter while Maddad has a very distinct sound through its twin resonators. It is almost made for upgrading N54 engined cars with stock muffler.

I sure don't want to mess up with my Evolve Race's sound or replace it, absolutely love it; just could be even more juicier a bit if the drone remains absent or very low as it is now. N55 seems to be great in every other aspect (response, power, drone) but it may be limiting the Race muffler sound.
You are probably already aware, but SS makes Evolve's pipes, so I suspect it would fight quite perfectly.
      06-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #11
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
You are probably already aware, but SS makes Evolve's pipes, so I suspect it would fight quite perfectly.
Sure I know that, but it is never as good as hearing it from someone who actually has it in his own car. River Rat's input was very valuable; me and a friend and a member of this Forum are now thinking seriously about it. I am waiting the vendor reply my e-mail for details like a shipping quote to pull the trigger. After all, if it doesn't drone with SS down pipes (thinking their full exhaust clips and so) I see no reason that it drones with stock down pipes; and I bet the SS sound will fit better with their own muffler than Maddad, Maddad is designed to juice up a stock muffler. It is a great pipe but I still doubt it can be a good match for Evolve and no one ever posted anything about this combo.

I don't agree with some others who commented that Race muffler is close to stock; I think it is different in all the good ways, just not a very loud muffler unless you hit the gas and pass a certain rpm, which is a good thing in my book.

At the end if I don't like it, find it too loud for my liking I can just sell it and return back to N55 mid which is doing a decent job for now.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 06-22-2013 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 02:41 AM   #12
Aqua
Private
Taiwan
Rep

Please share your findings if you decide to swap to SS midpipe with Evolve Race!

I have the Evolve Race with Berk midpipes. Its not that loud until you step on it. There is drone at around 100km but at higher or lower speeds it is fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #13
4thM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp. Alp. White

I have the mad dads with stock exhaust and love the sound. Louder than stock for sure with a very distinct high performance snarl on full excelleration. Less drone too.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #14
nicoz
Private First Class
Rep

Where can I find the GB? If any?
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #15
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Not exactly a GB! Check this vendor's thread for details and contact:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855521
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #16
Aqua
Private
Taiwan
Rep

I got AR catless dps, berk mids, and evolve supersprint exhaust.

I'm thinking of swapping the berk mids to to supersprint midpipes for a bit more noise and better fit with the evolve exhaust.

I'm not sure if the catless setup's smell will bother me in the long run though...
Would I be crazy to consider getting the supersprint catted mids?

I don't think I've read heard anyone get that before due to the 2100euro price
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #17
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
I got AR catless dps, berk mids, and evolve supersprint exhaust.

I'm thinking of swapping the berk mids to to supersprint midpipes for a bit more noise and better fit with the evolve exhaust.

I'm not sure if the catless setup's smell will bother me in the long run though...
Would I be crazy to consider getting the supersprint catted mids?

I don't think I've read heard anyone get that before due to the 2100euro price
Do you have cats with your actual Berk midpipe? If no, there won't be any difference between your actual set up and next one.

On the catted SS pipes: I think it doesn't make any sense because a) they are crazy expensive b) you will loose the advantage of high flow with cats c) sound will also be different and I am yet to hear that pipe in action.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #18
Aqua
Private
Taiwan
Rep

My berks don't have cats. Just the regular berk mids.

If I can't stand the catless smell, maybe 3 options:

1. Swap back to 1M factory downpipes (with regular SS mids)
2. Get some aftermarket catted downpipes (with regular SS mids)
-ar catted dp's
-lightweight catted dp's (expensive)
-some other brand
3.SS catted mids (most expensive. but would be interesting to see what it sounds/feels like)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #19
Aqua
Private
Taiwan
Rep

One more thing about the SS catted mids:

What are the O2 sensor bungs for? Where do they hook up to?
I wonder if there are any pics of them installed?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #20
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua View Post

One more thing about the SS catted mids:

What are the O2 sensor bungs for? Where do they hook up to?
I wonder if there are any pics of them installed?
For this particular pipe all I know is also what we have in Supersprint web page. I did not see any installed pictures of them. Maybe somebody else knows and may pop in. Really really expensive though!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #21
nicoz
Private First Class
Rep

SS catless non resonated midpipes and stock tailpipe... what do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #22
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoz View Post
SS catless non resonated midpipes and stock tailpipe... what do you guys think?
Definitely worth trying Just find a solution for the tips maybe? If a stock set up just with Maddads are already sounding pretty aggressive then this has a better chance imo. I don't think anyone can make a real comment on the presence/level of drone with that in your mind but my bet is it will at least be better than fully stock with that fake resonater.
Appreciate 0