BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-22-2015, 02:16 PM   #1
avolt1234
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

M3 control arms or Camber Plates???

I want to give the track a run on stock (or close to) suspension so I can buy corresponding parts based on my driving needs. I have been reading how people are burning up the outside of their tires on completely stock suspension. I want to do either camber plates or M3 control arms to help dial in some extra camber to save my tires. Which one would you recommend and why. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Both.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #3
avolt1234
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Both.
I was coilovers down the road so wouldnt I need to change my camber plate with the updated coilover specs?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolt1234 View Post
I was coilovers down the road so wouldnt I need to change my camber plate with the updated coilover specs?
With my Vorshlags, I had them "rebuilt" when I changed from OEM suspension to coilovers for ~$100 by Vorshlag.
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 05:12 PM   #5
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

Tire wear is caused by lots of factors:
- track configuration
- track surface
- tire pressure
- driver
- alignment

If you're new at track events, you're better off spending on:
- better brake fluid
- better pads
- improving the nut behind the wheel

The car is very capable. Slowly work your way to the mods as you see fit.
*just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

If you were chasing purely lap times, the camber plates would be the best option.

However, for just starting to track, it'd be better to start with the M3 arms. The reason for this is that eventually you will want both modifications, but in the interim the M3 arms give you a bit more camber, a bunch better steering feel (stiffer bushings), and no downside on the street as they are not noisier, higher maintenance, etc. If you did camber plates now you would have to redo them, both installation and parts, when you switch to coilovers and they have the potential to make noise, etc. on the street.

Mark
      06-22-2015, 09:54 PM   #7
avolt1234
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PUTT View Post
- track configuration
- track surface
- tire pressure
- driver
- alignment

- better brake fluid
- better pads

The car is very capable. Slowly work your way to the mods as you see fit.
*just my 2 cents.
I completely agree, I need to find out my driving style and hopefully improve that with time. I just know camber is hard to find with the stock suspension and I dont want to chew through tires every track even

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
If you were chasing purely lap times, the camber plates would be the best option.

However, for just starting to track, it'd be better to start with the M3 arms. The reason for this is that eventually you will want both modifications, but in the interim the M3 arms give you a bit more camber, a bunch better steering feel (stiffer bushings), and no downside on the street as they are not noisier, higher maintenance, etc. If you did camber plates now you would have to redo them, both installation and parts, when you switch to coilovers and they have the potential to make noise, etc. on the street.

Mark
This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for, thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #8
DietTab
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Control arms are a lot less work.
      06-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #9
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
If you're doing coilovers later, I'd do the M3 arms for now. Then when you upgrade to coilovers, you can buy the correct camber plates to match the spring diameter. For the first couple track events it doesn't really matter
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #10
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
If you're doing coilovers later, I'd do the M3 arms for now. Then when you upgrade to coilovers, you can buy the correct camber plates to match the spring diameter. For the first couple track events it doesn't really matter
Good advice here. The M3 arms will not give you much extra camber, but it is better than nothing. I was really surprised how little camber our cars have in the front stock, less than 1/2 a degree.

I did the M3 arms and Dinan fixed plates as I have no plans to go coilovers. If anything I will go with a better damper and fixed height spring. My car is a street car first, so I am not willing to compromise on possible clunking or noise from a coilover set up.

Although, I am looking at maybe installing an M3 front knuckle and strut. Not sure what all the pros and cons of that are yet.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 06-23-2015 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #11
avolt1234
Rep

Quote:
That is probably the route that I will go, thanks for the advice

Quote:
Good advice here. The M3 arms will not give you much extra camber, but it is better than nothing. I was really surprised how little camber our cars have in the front stock, less than 1/2 a degree.

I did the M3 arms and Dinan fixed plates as I have no plans to go coilovers. If anything I will go with a better damper and fixed height spring. My car is a street car first, so I am not willing to compromise on possible clunking or noise from a coilover set up.

Although, I am looking at maybe installing an M3 front knuckle and strut. Not sure what all the pros and cons of that are yet.
It really does suck how little camber they give us stock, but Ill take the good with the bad. I just see coil overs as a necessary mod due to the ability to gain so much camber
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #12
Jackal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC (Bianca)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PUTT View Post
- better brake fluid
- better pads

Great advice. I always have to remember that no car can out perform braking in acceleration. (60-0 time<0-60 time). Saving time in the corners with good reliable braking will almost always benefit on an AutoX track more.
      06-23-2015, 05:23 PM   #13
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:

Clunking? Noise? Who's coilovers do that?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 12:28 AM   #14
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Just replace everything. I did the little at a time method, eventually replaced everything. Once i upgraded the shocks and springs, the stock bushings were too soft. M3 RSFB had to be installed Then i needed more aggressive spring rates and more adjustability so i went to coilovers, then M3 control arms and tension arms. Still looking for more stiffness. Save up and do everything at once and buy quality equipment. It's alot more expensive doing everything twice.
      06-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #15
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Clunking? Noise? Who's coilovers do that?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 06:43 PM   #16
02rsxpilot
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
2013 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexResistance View Post
Just replace everything. I did the little at a time method, eventually replaced everything. Once i upgraded the shocks and springs, the stock bushings were too soft. M3 RSFB had to be installed Then i needed more aggressive spring rates and more adjustability so i went to coilovers, then M3 control arms and tension arms. Still looking for more stiffness. Save up and do everything at once and buy quality equipment. It's alot more expensive doing everything twice.
Good advice because it accurately implies that the components of the car all work in concert. My caveat would be it isn't worth spending thousands for a complete overhaul until you know what you want and why.

Specific to the OP's question, as someone who has both M3 arms and Dinan camber plates on an otherwise stock car, I'd say the M3 arms will make a subtle difference in feel (not as much as this forum would have you believe, but it is there), whereas the camber plates are basically unnoticeable. The M3 arms are also materially more expensive, both parts and labor. If camber is your only goal, the plates are the best bang for the buck. If you want to begin a more holistic performance overhaul, I'd start with the M3 arms because you won't need to replace them down the road. Then again, you'd have no trouble reselling Dinan plates here at a modest discount if need be.
      06-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #17
avolt1234
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rsxpilot View Post
Good advice because it accurately implies that the components of the car all work in concert. My caveat would be it isn't worth spending thousands for a complete overhaul until you know what you want and why.

Specific to the OP's question, as someone who has both M3 arms and Dinan camber plates on an otherwise stock car, I'd say the M3 arms will make a subtle difference in feel (not as much as this forum would have you believe, but it is there), whereas the camber plates are basically unnoticeable. The M3 arms are also materially more expensive, both parts and labor. If camber is your only goal, the plates are the best bang for the buck. If you want to begin a more holistic performance overhaul, I'd start with the M3 arms because you won't need to replace them down the road. Then again, you'd have no trouble reselling Dinan plates here at a modest discount if need be.
I went with the M3 control arms just based on the reasoning that I wont need to replace them down the road when I get coils. If I didnt have the replace the CPs when I got coils then it would be a different story. Now its just a matter of time before the coils go on
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 04:23 PM   #18
tuj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

dude I just took my car on it's first track day (not MY first track day, mind you), and the stock car on stock tires did just fine. No need to modify the suspension yet. 8/10ths is in the driver, not the car.
      06-26-2015, 09:15 PM   #19
avolt1234
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuj View Post
dude I just took my car on it's first track day (not MY first track day, mind you), and the stock car on stock tires did just fine. No need to modify the suspension yet. 8/10ths is in the driver, not the car.
This will be my first time actually tracking a car, I have rode in one before but never driven. I will have a lot of learning to do once I get behind the wheel, but that is what the track is for
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 06:10 AM   #20
DietTab
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuj View Post
dude I just took my car on it's first track day (not MY first track day, mind you), and the stock car on stock tires did just fine.

If fine is... slow.
      06-27-2015, 06:15 AM   #21
tuj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

yeah, it *was* slow. RFT's are slow. we're going to fix that next session... My point still stands that for a 20-25 minute session on the track, on stock tires, the stock components are fine.
      07-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #22
CrimsonXV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i 6mt, 325Ci 5mt, 87' K100

Total noob question here, why do camber plates have to be replaced?
Appreciate 0