BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-13-2015, 09:02 PM   #1
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Stock v. Performance Rotors

My 2009 135i (35,100 miles) is ready for its first front brake job in 3k more miles.

Please help me decide whether I should go all OEM front parts for $495 (pads, sensors, rotors) or all OEM but w/ the BMW Performance rotors for $625.

Do you think it's worth the premium? I do not track my car, I only enjoy spirited driving and back roads. I guess the main benefit would be the look. What do you think?

Please do not suggest non-oem parts, I am only interested in staying OEM.
      04-13-2015, 10:07 PM   #2
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

If you don't track then you notice the difference between the two. Someone a lot more qualified can approve of my statement.
But if you really want the looks, then pony up the 600 and buy it. You know you want to
      04-13-2015, 10:50 PM   #3
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

I have the performance rotors and if you're already putting on new pads and sensors, the added cost of the performance rotors isn't that much more, so it's a good and probably best time to do it. Performance-wise, I don't know that you'll really notice or feel any difference though. Supposedly they weigh like a pound less and supposedly dissipate heat and water away better, but I did it just for the looks. The fronts look awesome. The rears...eh, the difference is very subtle since they are just dimpled. Sometimes I think I might have been better of just getting the fronts only, but that's because I put new pads on all around to go with the rotors even though I only had 3k miles on them.

It also might depend on what wheels you have, as the more open the wheel is, the more you'll see/notice the difference. For $130 total difference, I'd say do it. The difference visually in the fronts alone is probably worth that.

Curious where you're getting those prices from though and just make sure you double-check that it includes 2 of each rotor. Best price I found was $700 for all 4 performance rotors and most sites sell the rotors individually. getbmwparts for example I know sells the stock, non-performance rotors + pads + sensors for $910 for the whole set.
Appreciate 0