BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-15-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
john32443
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i

Xenon Troubles!

Reposting from the canada fourms, hoping to get as much answers as possible!

Guys, so one of my D1S headlight bulbs burnt out and I replaced it. In doing so, I didn't put on the back cover of my driver side headlight correctly and went into a carwash...we can all guess what happens. The xenon motor still works (I can see the shroud go up and down) and the angel eyes work, but the low beams don't. I swapped out the bulb and the ballast to no avail. The headlight was drenched in water. We got most of it out but we still can't get the low beams to work. Any ideas? I drive an e82 with xenons.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 12:54 AM   #2
Duesentrieb
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: E81 116i, F31 LCI 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by john32443 View Post
Reposting from the canada fourms, hoping to get as much answers as possible!

Guys, so one of my D1S headlight bulbs burnt out and I replaced it. In doing so, I didn't put on the back cover of my driver side headlight correctly and went into a carwash...we can all guess what happens. The xenon motor still works (I can see the shroud go up and down) and the angel eyes work, but the low beams don't. I swapped out the bulb and the ballast to no avail. The headlight was drenched in water. We got most of it out but we still can't get the low beams to work. Any ideas? I drive an e82 with xenons.
Hi,

normally you should remove the headlight from the car and dry it indoors. Therefor you remove all lamps and caps. I get best results with small bags filled with silicate pearls. (You can find these bags in new shoes or some electronic wrappings.) Let the silicate do its job for one or two days and the headlight will be dry.
As I see, your post is a little bit older. I hope your headlight is dry now.

Concerning your problem:

Do you have standard xenon headlights or adaptive headlights? In Germany you could order both options. I think in the US only adaptive headlights as part of the 'lighting package'. But I don't know how it was in Canada.
If you have adaptive headlights (AHL): Probably the AHL ECU is also damaged by the water. The ECU is situated in the black box at the bottom of the headlight.

Can you read out the fault memory?

There could be two other solutions too:

1. Probably the fuse is blown or
2. the footwell module (called FRM) has an internal short circuit detection. If it detects a short circuit it will shut down the corresponding lamp. In some cases the short circuit counter needs to be reset by diagnostic software.

Greetings

Daniel
Appreciate 0