BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-10-2017, 09:42 AM   #23
PA135i
Brigadier General
PA135i's Avatar
United_States
1005
Rep
3,328
Posts

Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Mine went at 72K and I was a mile from home. I was lucky.
I'm now at 121K and wondering if Pump II is coming soon.
But, I thought I read somewhere that the replacement pumps are an improved design.
__________________
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 09:48 AM   #24
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
1and1's Avatar
United_States
226
Rep
565
Posts

Drives: faster than he should...
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Tally, FL

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
'09 135i  [0.00]
Anybody ever do forensics on a failed wp, make a determination on what fails and what would constitute an improved design?

oh, and I'm at ~71K miles on the original. I bought the kit first week I had the car, been sitting on the shelf ever since just in case. It'll get installed once the weather cools off here in FL, along with a variety of other bits & pieces I've gathered up over the summer...
__________________
1and1
135i - E82.N54 2009 BSM - MHD / A/T & custom xHP flash / Drop-in / PR CP
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - Stock - The Wife's
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 09:55 AM   #25
desertman123
CERTIFIED
desertman123's Avatar
United_States
221
Rep
628
Posts

Drives: '08 128i
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1and1 View Post
Anybody ever do forensics on a failed wp, make a determination on what fails and what would constitute an improved design?

oh, and I'm at ~71K miles on the original. I bought the kit first week I had the car, been sitting on the shelf ever since just in case. It'll get installed once the weather cools off here in FL, along with a variety of other bits & pieces I've gathered up over the summer...
I forget who but someone commented on this - I think the pumps either split apart and leak or the electronics simply fail.

Don't blame you one bit! Even hanging out outside when its 80-90f I get so much more tired in the same amount of time.

And I'm convinced my pump has already been replaced before I got the car (got it at 80k). Coolant in there wasn't OEM, but who knows lol.
__________________
PM me if you're selling 1-series rear mudflaps or side/rear sunshades!

My 2008 128i - Sparkling Graphite/Beige - Sport pkg - 6MT
Parents' 2014 528i - Mineral White/Ivory White - fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 10:30 AM   #26
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
mackeroni's Avatar
United_States
103
Rep
579
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canton, OH USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
Mine went at 72K and I was a mile from home. I was lucky.
I'm now at 121K and wondering if Pump II is coming soon.
But, I thought I read somewhere that the replacement pumps are an improved design.
It would be great if the replacement water pumps were improved, but unlikely. The old and the new ones seem to have the same part number, leading me to conclude that they are equal.

Does anyone else have better information about the quality of the newer BMW electric water pumps?

Peace... Mack
__________________
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 1
PA135i1005

      10-10-2017, 11:40 AM   #27
02Pilot
Private
22
Rep
69
Posts

Drives: 128i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Talking to my long-time indy the other day, he said they've seen a few replacements that cracked at or soon after installation, but we didn't go into details. Other than that, I wouldn't expect the new ones to be any different than the originals without a P/N change.

Given that the turbo motors seem to kill the pumps faster, I would suspect that heat is a primary factor in many failures. Whether it's the electronics or the mechanicals, it's impossible to say without dissecting one.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #28
MightyMouseTech
Brigadier General
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
1703
Rep
4,384
Posts

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I feel you are just as likely to have the pump go at 20k as you are at 120k. So replacing it early only has marginal benefits.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2017, 09:33 AM   #29
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
148
Rep
791
Posts

Drives: like a damn lunatic
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Mine just failed this morning, after I took it to the dealership Monday complaining of intermittent power loss manifest as nothing happening when I would press the gas at times (I started a thread a few days ago). The dealership said they couldn't replicate the problem.
I'm at 71,400 miles (2012).
__________________
"Prius" is Latin for Eunuch.
"Hrothgar": 2012 135i: 6MT M-Sport, BSM/Blk; Nav, Premium, Convenience, HK
Dinan Stage 2 /// BMW PE /// CDV Delete /// BMS ST Clutch Stop /// Whiteline SFB Inserts /// K&N Drop-in /// MPSS 225/255
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #30
MightyMouseTech
Brigadier General
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
1703
Rep
4,384
Posts

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Mine just failed this morning, after I took it to the dealership Monday complaining of intermittent power loss manifest as nothing happening when I would press the gas at times (I started a thread a few days ago). The dealership said they couldn't replicate the problem.
I'm at 71,400 miles (2012).
Damn, so that was the issue? Sucks, but a fairly easy fix.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 01:21 PM   #31
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
148
Rep
791
Posts

Drives: like a damn lunatic
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Damn, so that was the issue? Sucks, but a fairly easy fix.
Still waiting on the official report from the dealership, but my problem, as I mentioned in my post the other day, was that I would sometimes press the gas and nothing would happen - as if I were not pressing the pedal.
That doesn't indicate much in the way of water pump failure, but other members in my post said they had the same issue just before their water pump failed.
It was getting worse on my commute today then I got the yellow Engine Hot caution followed shortly thereafter (maybe 20-30 seconds) by the red Engine Overheating warning and limp mode.
I pulled into a parking lot and shut it off, let it cool for about 45 min, then restarted and the caution was gone. I cautiously drove it to my dealership who is close (I'm still under CPO warranty - turning out to be a fantastic investment that I would recommend to anyone). So maybe mine hasn't COMPLETELY failed yet, but it's taking its last breaths.

Also oddly my engine oil temp has been running lower than normal the last few days. I would expect it to go up if the cooling system was failing to properly cool the engine.
__________________
"Prius" is Latin for Eunuch.
"Hrothgar": 2012 135i: 6MT M-Sport, BSM/Blk; Nav, Premium, Convenience, HK
Dinan Stage 2 /// BMW PE /// CDV Delete /// BMS ST Clutch Stop /// Whiteline SFB Inserts /// K&N Drop-in /// MPSS 225/255
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #32
jkoral
Captain
United_States
71
Rep
995
Posts

Drives: '09 135i MSport 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
I feel you are just as likely to have the pump go at 20k as you are at 120k. So replacing it early only has marginal benefits.
I've been told the same thing by multiple people, so I'm also going to leave it until it fails (and I don't think about it until these threads pop up). I'm at 75K on my 2009. But I never take it on long trips or go out of town. Always within 10-20 miles of BMW indys (and dealers, worst case).

I thought the most common failure was the electronics (so impossible to predict)?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #33
MightyMouseTech
Brigadier General
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
1703
Rep
4,384
Posts

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Still waiting on the official report from the dealership, but my problem, as I mentioned in my post the other day, was that I would sometimes press the gas and nothing would happen - as if I were not pressing the pedal.
That doesn't indicate much in the way of water pump failure, but other members in my post said they had the same issue just before their water pump failed.
It was getting worse on my commute today then I got the yellow Engine Hot caution followed shortly thereafter (maybe 20-30 seconds) by the red Engine Overheating warning and limp mode.
I pulled into a parking lot and shut it off, let it cool for about 45 min, then restarted and the caution was gone. I cautiously drove it to my dealership who is close (I'm still under CPO warranty - turning out to be a fantastic investment that I would recommend to anyone). So maybe mine hasn't COMPLETELY failed yet, but it's taking its last breaths.

Also oddly my engine oil temp has been running lower than normal the last few days. I would expect it to go up if the cooling system was failing to properly cool the engine.
If the water pump is going, usually the rad fan starts running at full speed all the time. Could be keeping the oil cooler?!?
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #34
doublevanosrc
Back in a 1er!!!
doublevanosrc's Avatar
United_States
76
Rep
2,241
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin. Tx

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
57k and still going strong, I'm just gonna wait until it fails and get it replaced under warranty. The waterpump(and ohgf) was one of the main reason I purchased an extended warranty no way I'm paying for it out of pocket.
__________________
Now: 2013 135i manual Black on coral, all options except HK.
Past-2011 135i
"I know it can be expensive but man I just love the darn thing."
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2017, 07:09 PM   #35
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
mackeroni's Avatar
United_States
103
Rep
579
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canton, OH USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
...no way I'm paying for it out of pocket.
...unless it fails after your extended warranty expires.
__________________
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.

Last edited by mackeroni; 10-12-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 08:49 PM   #36
ignote
Private First Class
10
Rep
111
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

55K on the pump? Wait on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 11:32 PM   #37
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
148
Rep
791
Posts

Drives: like a damn lunatic
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Just to reiterate, mine failed today at 71k.
Never a hitch before that.
__________________
"Prius" is Latin for Eunuch.
"Hrothgar": 2012 135i: 6MT M-Sport, BSM/Blk; Nav, Premium, Convenience, HK
Dinan Stage 2 /// BMW PE /// CDV Delete /// BMS ST Clutch Stop /// Whiteline SFB Inserts /// K&N Drop-in /// MPSS 225/255
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #38
Horigan
Private
United_States
8
Rep
87
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle WA, USA

iTrader: (0)

My service advisor said I was overdue at 80K miles and I had it replaced...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 09:27 PM   #39
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
mackeroni's Avatar
United_States
103
Rep
579
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canton, OH USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
If the water pump is going, usually the rad fan starts running at full speed all the time. Could be keeping the oil cooler?!?
This is good to know. I will listen closely for the radiator fan. Wish there was an easy way to monitor coolant temperature. I have a Carly, but nothing replaces a good old-fashioned dash mounted gauge.
__________________
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2017, 04:16 AM   #40
Esteban
Brigadier General
Esteban's Avatar
United_States
949
Rep
3,926
Posts

Drives: Because I'm Driven
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: The Golden State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
...nothing replaces a good old-fashioned dash mounted gauge.
Oh so true.
__________________
2011 135i ///M Sport 7-SP DCT LeMans Blue/Black Boston Leather Dinan Stage 2 BMW PS PE Blacklines 313s Pirelli P Zeros 225/255
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 07:49 AM   #41
captain slowly
I like turtles!
captain slowly's Avatar
35
Rep
142
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

I don't know how to feel on this subject. On one hand, the water pump will fail, that's a given. Problem is, there are no signs really so you will be stuck at the least, or cause damage at worst... and I now work at a bmw store. I've had conversations with several techs about the issue, and you'll get 5 different opinions on the replace or leave it until it fails, but one thing they all say is that its a crappy design and it will fail. Nobody seems to know the exact reason they fail... My car only has 12500 miles on it now, but it is almost 7 years old. I've finally started driving it much more often, so we'll see. I'll probably have them change it some time next year, just because I don't want to worry about it every time I take a longer trip... and for that reason I feel more comfortable taking longer trips in my 100k+ Honda crv and that shouldn't be.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #42
02Pilot
Private
22
Rep
69
Posts

Drives: 128i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
I don't know how to feel on this subject. On one hand, the water pump will fail, that's a given. Problem is, there are no signs really so you will be stuck at the least, or cause damage at worst... and I now work at a bmw store. I've had conversations with several techs about the issue, and you'll get 5 different opinions on the replace or leave it until it fails, but one thing they all say is that its a crappy design and it will fail. Nobody seems to know the exact reason they fail... My car only has 12500 miles on it now, but it is almost 7 years old. I've finally started driving it much more often, so we'll see. I'll probably have them change it some time next year, just because I don't want to worry about it every time I take a longer trip... and for that reason I feel more comfortable taking longer trips in my 100k+ Honda crv and that shouldn't be.
The reasoning you mention is exactly why I changed mine proactively (though granted at 100k miles). I'm driving from NY to Maine tomorrow - I would hate to do that drive, or a longer one, with the thought of water pump failure in my mind all the way.

A bunch of years ago I had a turbo blow up (full Spyhunter smokescreen and everything) at 1:00am on I95 near the South Carolina/Georgia border. Having had to go through that ordeal (imagine the fun of trying to find shop that was willing and able to swap a turbo on a Saab over a weekend in that area), I'm pretty committed to aggressive preventive maintenance.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:45 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST