BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #23
Suprgnat
German cars and French tires.
Suprgnat's Avatar
United_States
419
Rep
1,475
Posts

Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA08 View Post
Suprgnat have you been able to install the AKG selector rod and shifter arm bushings? I would love to get your impressions on them as I'll be doing a shifter refresh soon as well
Soon. Very soon. Probably the weekend of 14 October.

I've been busy fixing up my garage, making it a little more friendly for winter work and restoring the Healey. Better (real) insulation on the garage door, better organized in general, quieter work space, a heater. I'm picking up a new compressor after work. It should be a lot quieter. Also a new, quieter shop vac that will take an exhaust diffusor is coming soon.
__________________
Inertia is the enemy.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #24
VA08
New Member
VA08's Avatar
Puerto Rico
2
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 328i 6MT MSport Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA08 View Post
Suprgnat have you been able to install the AKG selector rod and shifter arm bushings? I would love to get your impressions on them as I'll be doing a shifter refresh soon as well
Soon. Very soon. Probably the weekend of 14 October.

I've been busy fixing up my garage, making it a little more friendly for winter work and restoring the Healey. Better (real) insulation on the garage door, better organized in general, quieter work space, a heater. I'm picking up a new compressor after work. It should be a lot quieter. Also a new, quieter shop vac that will take an exhaust diffusor is coming soon.
Nice! Nothing like a clean, comfortable work space and some new tools. Hope you?re able to get that new shifter and components on soon
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 04:20 PM   #25
Suprgnat
German cars and French tires.
Suprgnat's Avatar
United_States
419
Rep
1,475
Posts

Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA08 View Post
Nice! Nothing like a clean, comfortable work space and some new tools. Hope you?re able to get that new shifter and components on soon
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...postcount=5815
__________________
Inertia is the enemy.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 02:25 PM   #26
VA08
New Member
VA08's Avatar
Puerto Rico
2
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 328i 6MT MSport Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Thanks for following up with the link, I appreciate you remembering this thread. I still haven't done the shifter refresh, but after a lot of reflection, I'm leaning towards skipping the AKG selector rod (or any dssr for that matter).

After living with it for a while, do you think it's a must?

I did get a set of delrin shifter arm bushings like the ones you installed, and I'm refreshing every single bushing, bearing, link and clip in the shifter assembly, so it'll feel like new or better even without the dssr.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #27
asbrr
Captain
Canada
142
Rep
629
Posts

Drives: 128i Sport
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA08 View Post
Thanks for following up with the link, I appreciate you remembering this thread. I still haven't done the shifter refresh, but after a lot of reflection, I'm leaning towards skipping the AKG selector rod (or any dssr for that matter).

After living with it for a while, do you think it's a must?

I did get a set of delrin shifter arm bushings like the ones you installed, and I'm refreshing every single bushing, bearing, link and clip in the shifter assembly, so it'll feel like new or better even without the dssr.
I would suggest that since you are taking it all apart anyway, consider the DSSR because it will help take away whatever remaining slop is built into the system. I know it seems like a lot to pay for a piece of aluminum, but you're doing most of the work taking it all apart so the labour is already accounted for.

IMO, I did notice a very nice improvement in overall feel and reduction in slop.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #28
VA08
New Member
VA08's Avatar
Puerto Rico
2
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 328i 6MT MSport Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA08 View Post
Thanks for following up with the link, I appreciate you remembering this thread. I still haven't done the shifter refresh, but after a lot of reflection, I'm leaning towards skipping the AKG selector rod (or any dssr for that matter).

After living with it for a while, do you think it's a must?

I did get a set of delrin shifter arm bushings like the ones you installed, and I'm refreshing every single bushing, bearing, link and clip in the shifter assembly, so it'll feel like new or better even without the dssr.
I would suggest that since you are taking it all apart anyway, consider the DSSR because it will help take away whatever remaining slop is built into the system. I know it seems like a lot to pay for a piece of aluminum, but you're doing most of the work taking it all apart so the labour is already accounted for.

IMO, I did notice a very nice improvement in overall feel and reduction in slop.
I'm definitely gonna take your suggestion seriously and re-consider going with it.

Did you have to file down the plastic bit protruding from the gearshift rod joint to make it fit though?

That's another thing that made me hesitant to get it, not sure how that would go.

Thanks again for sharing your insight on this
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #29
Suprgnat
German cars and French tires.
Suprgnat's Avatar
United_States
419
Rep
1,475
Posts

Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA08 View Post
Did you have to file down the plastic bit protruding from the gearshift rod joint to make it fit though?
Both the "Gearshift rod joint" P/N 25117580281 and the the gear shift lever. It is easier to do the filing/removing of material off the car, so I bought a new gearshift rod joint, too (<$20), since I was down there.
__________________
Inertia is the enemy.
Appreciate 1
VA081.50

      01-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #30
asbrr
Captain
Canada
142
Rep
629
Posts

Drives: 128i Sport
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Both the "Gearshift rod joint" P/N 25117580281 and the the gear shift lever. It is easier to do the filing/removing of material off the car, so I bought a new gearshift rod joint, too (<$20), since I was down there.
VA08 exactly the above....much easier to do this with parts off the car, so it makes sense to buy new ones. Did not take much filing at all....so go easy/in small increments.
Appreciate 1
VA081.50

      01-11-2018, 05:53 PM   #31
VA08
New Member
VA08's Avatar
Puerto Rico
2
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 328i 6MT MSport Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Both the "Gearshift rod joint" P/N 25117580281 and the the gear shift lever. It is easier to do the filing/removing of material off the car, so I bought a new gearshift rod joint, too (<$20), since I was down there.
VA08 exactly the above....much easier to do this with parts off the car, so it makes sense to buy new ones. Did not take much filing at all....so go easy/in small increments.
I'm glad to hear that not much filing is required, I don't like the idea of having to modify the selector rod joint and the lever.

I did get a new selector rod joint, and new everything else in the linkage including a new SSK lever. I'm doing the refresh while replacing my driveshaft so I'll have the best possible access to the shifter area, so I decided to replace everything I could.

That's also why I'm considering the akg dssr, no better time to install it! Appreciate your help
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 07:26 PM   #32
asbrr
Captain
Canada
142
Rep
629
Posts

Drives: 128i Sport
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA08 View Post
I'm glad to hear that not much filing is required, I don't like the idea of having to modify the selector rod joint and the lever.

I did get a new selector rod joint, and new everything else in the linkage including a new SSK lever. I'm doing the refresh while replacing my driveshaft so I'll have the best possible access to the shifter area, so I decided to replace everything I could.

That's also why I'm considering the akg dssr, no better time to install it! Appreciate your help
Excellent, best of luck! You should be able to "test fit" most of the parts as you're doing a full replacement....
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #33
VA08
New Member
VA08's Avatar
Puerto Rico
2
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 328i 6MT MSport Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA08 View Post
I'm glad to hear that not much filing is required, I don't like the idea of having to modify the selector rod joint and the lever.

I did get a new selector rod joint, and new everything else in the linkage including a new SSK lever. I'm doing the refresh while replacing my driveshaft so I'll have the best possible access to the shifter area, so I decided to replace everything I could.

That's also why I'm considering the akg dssr, no better time to install it! Appreciate your help
Excellent, best of luck! You should be able to "test fit" most of the parts as you're doing a full replacement....
Thanks! I'll post back and let you guys know how it went. Might be a while before I get to it
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #34
B777flyboy
Private First Class
B777flyboy's Avatar
26
Rep
191
Posts

Drives: 135i carbon black
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Boston, ma

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 Bmw 135  [0.00]
Is the SSK only available for the 128 and not the 135?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 05:04 PM   #35
Suprgnat
German cars and French tires.
Suprgnat's Avatar
United_States
419
Rep
1,475
Posts

Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B777flyboy View Post
Is the SSK only available for the 128 and not the 135?
I know there used to be a 135i specific SSK, but I don't know if it's still available. There are non-BMW made alternatives.
__________________
Inertia is the enemy.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 08:45 PM   #36
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
7813
Rep
22,310
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Suprgnat

Quote:
Originally Posted by B777flyboy View Post
Is the SSK only available for the 128 and not the 135?
BMW use to offer a Performance SSK but they have stopped producing it.

I suspect a 128i Performance shift lever would give you 90% of the SSK feel shorter throws. But no one has posted that they have installed one.

I have the Perf SSK on my 135i and love it! But I also drive an e39 540i 6speed as my dailey and two years ago I installed the factory shifter from an e60 550i manual... that shifter is pure joy!! Really tighter throws and feels great - except on a cold day for the first few shifts... it can be quite notchy. But I LOVE it over my 135i Perf shifter.

One forum members tjswarbrick was able to install the e60 skifter in his 135i with some bending of the shift lever. It's easy to do if you have some hand tools and a vice.

IF you decide on going with the 128i SSK... please post some pics of your install and your thoughts. It would be helpful to others going down this path.

see post #80...

calling all 6MT SSK guys...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=414760&page=4


Dackel
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:52 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST