BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
DevinN55135i
Rep
Drives: White 2010 N55 135i

Speaker help!

I was in my friends 335...we were listening to music and when i got my 135 i realized that my speakers werent as good...any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
New21er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Standard radio or hc, big difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

If you just have standard audio try installing the HK tweeters front and rear. It makes a massive difference, sounds are much clearer and you can turn down the treble allowing some bass through. It's no Alpine upgrade or HK but a definite step up!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
DevinN55135i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJay
If you just have standard audio try installing the HK tweeters front and rear. It makes a massive difference, sounds are much clearer and you can turn down the treble allowing some bass through. It's no Alpine upgrade or HK but a definite step up!
How much$$$?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

For HK you're looking around $79 per tweeter up front ($158) and $79 per tweeter in the back ($158) - $316

For HiFi you're looking ar around $46 per tweeter up front ($92) and $53 per tweeter in the rear ($106) - $198

Those are the prices on RealOEM.com but I am sure you can negtiate with your dealer or one of the many vendors on here, even eBay.

Some people say that you don't need rear tweeters but they do make quite a noticable difference to sound projected within the car. Although not as great of an influence as the front tweeters (for a front passenger/driver) the rear tweeters do a great job of lifting the sound throughout the whole car and you can definitely pick it up, it gives a more surrounded feel. If you have friends in the car a lot they'll surely appreciate the tweeters in the back also.

You'll also need the front speaker grilles/tweeter pods to do this upgrade if you don't have them, they're around $35 each.

If you're really into music then the Alpine upgrade is probably the best. That's around $900 but comes with tweeters, new front mids and an amp. This will boost the sound up front for sure and run more power to your underseat subs You will still need the tweeter pods though at additional cost and this does not include rear tweeters or any rear upgrade...I'm not sure you'd need it though if you rarely have people in the back enjoying music.

You have other options, such as the Blaupunkt THA series amps, these are plug'n'play and work with all existing speakers. The smaller 2 channel THA275 can run from the power of the stereo and power the front speaker circuit (mids & subs), the larger 4/5 channel THA475/575 amps need battery power but can run the rear speakers also. There is one major drawback with these amps though, if you add in tweeters to the front speaker circuit you'll end up overloading the amp anf blowing it so really, it's amp or tweeters, make your choice here. Technically what you could do is disconnect the tweeters from this circuit and make them run directly from the stereo but that involves some splicing of your stock wiring loom. I'd not want to disconnect the mids or subs from the amp as they'll give the greatest benefit and let's be honest, base is what the system lacks at times (although much improved with just a tweeter upgrade as I say).
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:38 AM   #6
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Have you tried increasing the equalizer? Perhaps you're not getting the maximum sound out of your existing setup.

You can adjust the Bass, Treble, Balance, and Fade by pressing the Music Note button.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
DevinN55135i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester
Have you tried increasing the equalizer? Perhaps you're not getting the maximum sound out of your existing setup.

You can adjust the Bass, Treble, Balance, and Fade by pressing the Music Note button.
Yeah i did and there still shit
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

The tweeter upgrade changes the balance somehow, seems to allow the subs and mids to kick a little more while the tweeter handles most of the detail. Like I say you can turn the treble down which aids bass.

It's not a world class system after this, it's missing a proper amp after all but makes the cr@ppy stock system at least good. If you're a real audiophile then this won't cut it, you need Alpine at least or total aftermarket. IDK your personal taste so perhaps have a word with Musicar.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Any chance you could provide links/part numbers for all the parts needed to install the tweeters on my stock 2010 base stereo? Stock is absolute garbage especially since i came from a full system in my previous car. I was looking to add the front and rear tweeters, replace the stock front mids with 2 way speakers, and the rear deck speakers with 2 ways and then add 2 8" subs underneath each seat. I know there are aftermarket options to do this completely but 700-1000 is a ridiculous price when i could piece it together for less than that. I will be keeping the stock HU as well. Figured i'd throw this in here instead of a whole new thread. Thanks!
Appreciate 0