BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-15-2022, 03:34 PM   #1
GhostfromTexas
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i

First Project Car

I'm looking to get my first project car. This isn't my primary vehicle, but one that I want to use to learn how to make modifications to for a fun vehicle. We plan on doing a TON of research on whatever car we get to make sure the parts will truly work on the vehicle. Just trying to take a temperature test here to see if it might be better to get another car as a first time project car.

The overall question I have is, is the 2008 128i a good first project car?

I know a lot of that comes down to specifically what you want to do to it, but here is a general idea of things that would be fun to do over time

I'm not saying I'd tackle all of these, but would like to have this car purely to work on and modify over the next several years. Whatever I do has to pass Cali emission laws.

Possible modifications I'm considering over time:
Replace seats/steering wheel
Performance Air Intake and Exhaust Systems
Coil overs
Performance wheels and brake calipers
sway bars, roll cages, etc
Change automatic for a manual transmission
Maybe Turbo in the future
Replace radiator/fan
Fuel injectors and spark plugs

Also curious on how easy some more advanced repairs are compared to other vehicles...
Head Gaskets
Oil seal replacements
Engine mounts/bushings
Brake pads
Coolant hoses

I also see the BMW 3 series and MX-5's as the go to for first project cars, just not sure if the 1-series is something I should look at doing as my 2nd or 3rd car rather than my 1st. Overall I love the way it looks!

Thanks for any insight here!

Last edited by GhostfromTexas; 11-15-2022 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: added year to car model. Typos
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 05:47 PM   #2
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Obviously I think the 128i is a great project car or I wouldn't have bought mine. I bought my used 128i as a cheap-ish (back then) fun daily driver because I missed the tactile sensations of a sports car and I didn't want to drive my Mustang daily.

I fell in love with my 128i and I've spent all of my time an money upgrading it instead of the Mustang as I originally planned. Overall I think the 128i is a fantastic platform, but there are many areas for improvement. I've enjoyed each and every modification for the improved driving dynamics and tactile feedback they provide.

The 3-series shares many parts with the 1-series and many are interchangeable. I personally feel the 1-series is much more fun and nimble, but the 3 is also a great car. There were so damn many of them produced that you should always be able to find parts. You could probably say the same about the Miata.

The 1-series is a fairly rare car and probably a future classic. On the downside, those parts that aren't shared with the 3-series will become harder and harder to find. I plan to keep mine running as long as parts are available, but it may become harder as years go by. In terms of performance upgrades, the unique 1-series parts aren't always easy to find and you will never have as many options as a 3-series, Miata, or Toybaru.

I think repairs are actually pretty easy and fairly reasonable as long as you use OEM (not BMW-branded) parts. The 1 and 3-series are well-engineered and laid-out cars. A few repairs are a little more difficult than they need to be, but that's pretty true of most modern cars with subframes. Unfortunately BMW didn't always use the most robust materials so seals, bushings, etc. always wear out.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 07:36 PM   #3
GhostfromTexas
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i

Greatly appreciate this info. We're looking to go pick up the car tomorrow assuming all our final bits of research pan out. Been scouring these forums for a bit to get a good feel of some after market parts we want to tackle
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 10:41 AM   #4
Dieselboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

If you're thinking Turbo and manual, you may want to hold out for a 6 speed 135i. IMO the benefit of the 128i is that it's NOT turbo'd, lol.

I've done A LOT to my 135i, including a manual trans swap, and documented most of it in my build thread. It's technically my first project car, and I think it's a fun (sometimes frustrating/challenging) platform. The sky (or budget) is the limit honestly.

Instagram: ///TheAxisGarage

If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder.
Appreciate 2
Fishee1004.00
      11-16-2022, 12:32 PM   #5
Fishee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselboy View Post
If you're thinking Turbo and manual, you may want to hold out for a 6 speed 135i. IMO the benefit of the 128i is that it's NOT turbo'd, lol.

I've done A LOT to my 135i, including a manual trans swap, and documented most of it in my build thread. It's technically my first project car, and I think it's a fun (sometimes frustrating/challenging) platform. The sky (or budget) is the limit honestly.
What dieselboy said.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 02:31 PM   #6
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostfromTexas View Post

The overall question I have is, is the 2008 128i a good first project car?
Yes, they're not terribly difficult to work on.

Quote:

Whatever I do has to pass Cali emission laws.

Possible modifications I'm considering over time:
Replace seats/steering wheel
Performance Air Intake and Exhaust Systems
Coil overs
Performance wheels and brake calipers
sway bars, roll cages, etc
Change automatic for a manual transmission
Maybe Turbo in the future
Replace radiator/fan
Fuel injectors and spark plugs
Trying to pass Cali emissions with a turbo build will be difficult and expensive, on top of the difficult and expensive turbo build. I would highly recommend you buy a 135i if that's your true goal. The N52 is not made for boost. Or buy a crashed 135i/335i and swap everything over.

Everything else is pretty doable. Just study RealOEM parts diagrams and E90Post/1Addicts threads and you'll have plenty of information.

Quote:
Also curious on how easy some more advanced repairs are compared to other vehicles...
Head Gaskets
Oil seal replacements
Engine mounts/bushings
Brake pads
Coolant hoses
You won't have to do a headgasket on this motor. I have never heard of one failing on its own, and if you overheat the motor then it's way more cost effective to just buy another running N52. The head will warp very quickly.
Valve cover gasket is kind of a pain, oil filter housing is easy, oil pan is a big pain in the ass (at least on jackstands).
You can do engine mounts while you do the oil pan gasket.
Pads are very easy
Cooling system is a bit of a wrestle, the plastic fittings like to stick together after all the years. But nothing impossible.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1285231

Check out this buyer's guide thread and my own "build" thread for ideas.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1320030
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 07:12 PM   #7
WrathOTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

can confirm on the oil pan, just did mine and it took forever thanks to the 28 bolts that line the pan.
I'll echo what others are saying in that it's mostly an easy car to work on.
I'll warn you over the not particularly robust cooling system hoses with the plastic snap on connections. When old they break easily... I broke one by accident, then moments after fixing it with a new part I broke another connector at the expansion tank.