E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e90 HID Lights

05-11-2005, 01:08 PM   #1
ryce2go
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 Coupe

e90 HID Lights

I am not too sure about the headlights for the e90. Is it still the 4300K... someone told me that it was near the 6000k... but i dunoo.
anyone know the K for the new ones?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2005, 01:34 PM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

They are 4200K D1S Xenons, just like fitted to the 5 Series asof March 2005 build
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2005, 01:40 PM   #3
ryce2go
Private First Class
Rep

so they are called D1S?
so not like the e46 like D2S... or was it D2R...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2005, 01:52 PM   #4
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I posted something like this in a thread called "Dealer Setups", but since we have a specific thread about the HID lights for the e90 and I still had some questions, I thought I would post again.

Basically this is my understanding (only talking about e90's with Xenon Adaptive Headlights): for each headlight housing, there are two bulbs. As you can see from the attached pictures. I thought Bi-Xenon meant that both of the bulbs were HID lights. I'm not sure which bulb is which, but I assumed one is low beam and one is high beam. My best guess is the larger one (the bulb on the outer edge) is the low beam and the one closest to the kidney grille is the high beam.

1) Is my understanding correct? If not or only partially, please share your information with us.
2) Someone please confirm or deny that both of the bulbs in each headlamp housing is in fact an HID bulb.
3) Which specific bulbs come on during low beam, and which during high beam, and what happens for Day Time Running lights.
4) When do the halos, or Angel Eyes, come on? During parking? Are these the DRL's?

Also, if anyone can post the bulb types, that would be great. (I think the e46 was H7,D2R, or D2S for the Low Beam, H7 for the high beam, and 9006 for the fog lamps).

And since we're at it, if anyone has seen a HID conversion kit for the e90 fog lamps, please share!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #5
pete330
Rep
Drives: sold - 98 E36 M3

Does anybody know what the daytime running lights look like on?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2005, 01:59 PM   #6
Nathan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 3.0

i've seen them and don't like it, because it takes away from the Angel eyes. I don't have a picture though. It almost looks like there aren't angel eyes and just normal DRL.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2005, 03:54 PM   #7
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe
I posted something like this in a thread called "Dealer Setups", but since we have a specific thread about the HID lights for the e90 and I still had some questions, I thought I would post again.

Basically this is my understanding (only talking about e90's with Xenon Adaptive Headlights): for each headlight housing, there are two bulbs. As you can see from the attached pictures. I thought Bi-Xenon meant that both of the bulbs were HID lights. I'm not sure which bulb is which, but I assumed one is low beam and one is high beam. My best guess is the larger one (the bulb on the outer edge) is the low beam and the one closest to the kidney grille is the high beam.

1) Is my understanding correct? If not or only partially, please share your information with us.
2) Someone please confirm or deny that both of the bulbs in each headlamp housing is in fact an HID bulb.
3) Which specific bulbs come on during low beam, and which during high beam, and what happens for Day Time Running lights.
4) When do the halos, or Angel Eyes, come on? During parking? Are these the DRL's?

Also, if anyone can post the bulb types, that would be great. (I think the e46 was H7,D2R, or D2S for the Low Beam, H7 for the high beam, and 9006 for the fog lamps).

And since we're at it, if anyone has seen a HID conversion kit for the e90 fog lamps, please share!
1) No, the outer bulbs are the xenon ones. Wit bi-xenon when you want high beam a little cover opens on the outer bulbs nad you get all the light, when you want low beams the cover closes and you only get a little light. the reason is Xenons cannot turn on and off fast

The inner bulbs are normal halogen and come on with the high beams or when you "flash" the lights. They are really there for flassing, as you cannot do that with xenons

2)Inner normal halogen, outer Xenon HID

3) see 1

4) Angel eyes come on whenever the light switch is turned on, not shure about the DRL part

5) E46 was Halogen H7, Xenon D2S
E90 Halogen H7, Xenon D1S

D1S is newer than D2S
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2005, 03:56 PM   #8
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryce2go
so they are called D1S?
so not like the e46 like D2S... or was it D2R...

Yes, the new D1S which has a integrated starter, unlike the old D2S used in the E46 with external starter
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2005, 07:08 PM   #9
robertb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

In the US, the inner halogens are only flash to pass. They don't stay on with the xenon high beams. That's too bright for US DOT. I have the new 330i and currently there are no daytime running lights at all. BMW isn't clear whether this will be remedied. I was hoping for the choice to have just the halos on for running lights or halos plus halogens. Currently if you want daytime lights, you'll have to manually switch on the parking lights which includes halos or the full xenons. I'm hoping this will be remedied with a software update, but I've not heard that confirmed anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2005, 07:29 PM   #10
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertb
Currently if you want daytime lights, you'll have to manually switch on the parking lights which includes halos or the full xenons. I'm hoping this will be remedied with a software update, but I've not heard that confirmed anywhere.
Have you seen this post yet? http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549

The dealer asked me if I wanted DRLs programmed by the dealership techs. I'm still really confused about what the DRLs are. According to ncoutinho, they take away from the angel eyes, and I definitely don't want that.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2005, 08:46 PM   #11
robertb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have the car, I know what's available and what's not. DRLs are not available as I knew them on the e46 which is the inner halogen low beams. BMW USA's website says this: "Note: Advanced Vehicle & Key Memory and Programmable Daytime Running Lights are not available at this time."
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2005, 09:44 PM   #12
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have the car, I know what's available and what's not. DRLs are not available as I knew them on the e46 which is the inner halogen low beams. BMW USA's website says this: "Note: Advanced Vehicle & Key Memory and Programmable Daytime Running Lights are not available at this time."
When you went to pick up your car, did the dealer ask you questions like "do you want the daytime running lights?" I'm thinking maybe my dealership has a standard list of questions they ask for any new BMW they sell, and maybe the list hasn't been updated for the E90, which you say doesn't yet have DRLs.

I just found it a little odd that you can set up just about any feature through iDrive except the DRLs. My dealer did mention something that insurance prices sometimes go down a little if your car is equipped with the DRLs, so I thought maybe in order to qualify for a lower rate, the dealer has to set the DRLs and then they can't be adjusted through iDrive--if the insurance company has you down for DRLs... That sort of makes sense, I guess...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2005, 10:13 PM   #13
robertb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

DRLs are not available at all. I-drive or programmed at the dealer. BMW's NA website says "Programmable Daytime Running Lights are not available at this time." The dealer probably assumes the car is like the previous model. I've not heard a good explanation yet from BMW. Even the US owner's manual when it does mention DRLs has this ambiguous explanation of the big asterisk next to the DRL headline: "Indicates special equipment, country-specific equipment and optional extras, as well as equipment and functions not yet available at the time of printing." Is it a "country-specific" feature that won't be available in the US or is it "equipment and functions not yet available" that will be added later. And if it's added later will it be by software update or will it require a hardware change?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2005, 10:23 PM   #14
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
DRLs are not available at all. I-drive or programmed at the dealer. BMW's NA website says "Programmable Daytime Running Lights are not available at this time." The dealer probably assumes the car is like the previous model. I've not heard a good explanation yet from BMW. Even the US owner's manual when it does mention DRLs has this ambiguous explanation of the big asterisk next to the DRL headline: "Indicates special equipment, country-specific equipment and optional extras, as well as equipment and functions not yet available at the time of printing." Is it a "country-specific" feature that won't be available in the US or is it "equipment and functions not yet available" that will be added later. And if it's added later will it be by software update or will it require a hardware change?
Hey robertb, thanks for the info! I would think the DRL should be able to be adjusted through iDrive (or some other way with hard buttons) and that update should come as a software update to the car's computer...I mean that would make sense. You can adjust the pathway lighting and timer, or disable it completely through iDrive, as well as some other lighting options like how sensitive you want the adaptive headlights, so one would think the DRL should be just as easily adjusted...unless it has something to do with insurance like I mentioned earlier. Then I guess it would have to be set by the dealer, and therefore shouldn't be able to be changed. I don't know this for sure, but it's a reasonable guess. If anyone has any other ideas, let us know.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2005, 11:56 PM   #15
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
If you read the other threads regarding this message you would have found the following information:

The software the dealers use to program the settings such as DRL and also certain settings regarding the remote key control (i.e. one press to open drivers door only, 2 for all doors); that software seems to be buggy or is missing features so they are getting a new version out to dealers soon to let them do these things.

Hopefully this will be resolved sooner than later.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2005, 02:16 AM   #16
ryce2go
Private First Class
Rep

i was searching for the 6000k bulbs for the d1s. The closest i found were the 5400K bulbs. Am i not looking at the right areas?

Also, were the angel eyes... the ring changeable? For example to another color??? Just curious...

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2005, 02:41 AM   #17
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
i was searching for the 6000k bulbs for the d1s. The closest i found were the 5400K bulbs. Am i not looking at the right areas?

Also, were the angel eyes... the ring changeable? For example to another color??? Just curious...

Thanks
Why do you want to pay for good xenons and then out a bulb in that gives off less light ? ( the higer K bulbs give off less light but look bluer )

The halos are lighted by a "light unit", it look like one complete unit with bulb, but you may be able to paint the bulb to give off another color
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2005, 02:02 PM   #18
spikes111
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Why do you want to pay for good xenons and then out a bulb in that gives off less light ? ( the higer K bulbs give off less light but look bluer )

The halos are lighted by a "light unit", it look like one complete unit with bulb, but you may be able to paint the bulb to give off another color
My guess is he wants xenons that are whiter/bluer. That'd be interesting to see the halo portion painted a translucent red or another color
      05-14-2005, 05:16 PM   #19
ryce2go
Private First Class
Rep

can anyone tell me the size for fogs?
Is it 9006?? Looking to get an HID Fog Kit
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2005, 06:00 PM   #20
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
can anyone tell me the size for fogs?
Is it 9006?? Looking to get an HID Fog Kit
H11 , its the same as the Z4
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 08:45 PM   #21
D-Rock
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
H11 , its the same as the Z4
Are you sure about that ???
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 08:54 PM   #22
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Actually DRL activation is accessible via profiles setting (in i-drive or non-i drive through the BC stalk) ... for post-Sept cars I think or cars with CIP-20?...my Feb 06 build car has this function....

Only the inner halogens act as DRLs....angel eyes come on with the parking lights....

edit: I jsut reliazed this is one dated forum...oh well hope the info was useful for someone...

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0