BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

aFe SEALED Cold Air Intake Stage 2!?

Anyone using this one yet? I just discovered it and am very interested. I've stayed away for the "open" DCI option, but might very well consider this.

Any/all feedback is appreciated!

Check it out:

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...L6&&brandID=56

Last edited by JBW; 03-21-2011 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

might work very well with some scoops. I was planning on leaving my intake alone until i saw this. at $520 though, its on my back-burner.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
At least there appears to be a dry element option instead of the previous pre-oiled one.
AFE has always offered the Pro Dry filter option with either the drop in filter or the DCI setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Of what benefit would scoops be?
I feel like im walking into a trick question here, but I would say to feed a bit more air to the box, since its sealed. The DCI's are open to the engine bay, and while that means they potentially suck in hotter air, they have more volume to draw from. With this, it is limited to whatever is fed to it from the front of the car. Scoops might not increase horsepower for a stock or near stock car, but would at least make it less likely to become a bottleneck at higher power levels.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 03:14 AM   #5
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

I want to see an installed picture, but I like the concept....it a bit like the Japanese CF version for $1000 I saw several months ago (Cant remember the name). I still prefer the AFE design they do for the 335 with twin plenum intakes into a very similar box and filter arrangement. Looking at the pictures of this one there is a smaller square hole at the back of the box....what is it for ?????

.....just had another look and I think this is the same as the 335 one, in that it DOES have a double plenum and the 2nd hole is for the other air feed. Just need to see a fitted photo to confirm

Last edited by Si-M240i; 03-22-2011 at 03:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-135i View Post
.....just had another look and I think this is the same as the 335 one, in that it DOES have a double plenum and the 2nd hole is for the other air feed. Just need to see a fitted photo to confirm
I think you're correct, they just plugged the hole on the 135i version. They offered the same plug on their FJ intake, but in that case it was to seal the box so you could run it with snorkel. At the very least, the enclosure for the filter is the same between the 335i and 135i, I can't tell if the rear piping that attaches to it is exactly the same though.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #7
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
I think you're correct, they just plugged the hole on the 135i version. They offered the same plug on their FJ intake, but in that case it was to seal the box so you could run it with snorkel. At the very least, the enclosure for the filter is the same between the 335i and 135i, I can't tell if the rear piping that attaches to it is exactly the same though.
What I want to know is.......is it using two air feeds or just one ?
      03-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

That's the best looking setup I've seen this side of the Dinan option which just won't happen based on price. Sure it's $520, but still beats $1000.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-135i View Post
What I want to know is.......is it using two air feeds or just one ?
Looks like just the one. I'm sure that plug comes out though, but it wouldn't do you any good without the piping like the 3 series has. Otherwise you're just sucking in hot air.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 02:42 AM   #10
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Looks like just the one. I'm sure that plug comes out though, but it wouldn't do you any good without the piping like the 3 series has. Otherwise you're just sucking in hot air.
I recon it's using the complete original plenum to use the single feed and the 2nd one is deleted now. Maybe this has been done so one kit fits more cars ie 1 series, 3 series and the Z4's. This will make manufacture cheaper as they build more parts. I have run an additional air feed into my plenum already and this set up will bolt straight in to that mod I did myself. As long as it still fits with the Forge DDV's I have, I recon I will get one of these as I really liked the 335 one which wouldn't fit the 135i due to intake spacing, this is now resolved
      03-23-2011, 03:24 AM   #11
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
This is NOT a CAI ffs... it is still restricted and the box is still right above the manifold therefore allowing all the radiant heat to seap into the box and thru the filter. Wouldnt suprise me if the dyno temps and numbers between this overpriced intake and the 100 dollar bms dci to be almost exactly the same. Your paying $500+ for the same stuff you have stock just about, just with a fancy filter. Also note that with how restricted the airflow is thru the input port, front left of the filter is the only part suck air, again not efficient and your filter then gets super dirty real fast on that side and ur constantly cleaning it, etc. Sorry to bash but hell no

Please for the love of shit, do not waste $300+ on an intake for this car, NOT worth it. Go with the most open unrestrictive one there is. Obvious?

Last edited by thez99; 03-23-2011 at 03:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #12
red_stapler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i- Montego Blue/Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
This is NOT a CAI ffs... it is still restricted and the box is still right above the manifold therefore allowing all the radiant heat to seap into the box and thru the filter. Wouldnt suprise me if the dyno temps and numbers between this overpriced intake and the 100 dollar bms dci to be almost exactly the same. Your paying $500+ for the same stuff you have stock just about, just with a fancy filter. Also note that with how restricted the airflow is thru the input port, front left of the filter is the only part suck air, again not efficient and your filter then gets super dirty real fast on that side and ur constantly cleaning it, etc. Sorry to bash but hell no

Please for the love of shit, do not waste $300+ on an intake for this car, NOT worth it. Go with the most open unrestrictive one there is. Obvious?
word...i have gone through Riss Racing, Stett CAI, and i finally got it right with the BMS DCI. Take it from someone who has learned the hard way from mistakes. It just aint worth it to do anything other than DCI or stock w/upgraded filer. Anything else is not as good or just for looks (Dinan).
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I don't think most would argue that an "open" DCI will flow the most air. But, also that hot air/heat issues can be a real reality with a DCI in certain conditions too. I'm more curious about the supposed "air pressurization" design of the stock box that is lost with a typical open DCI. I imagine there has to be something to this. I'm not schooled in this whatsoever, but believe there must be something highly beneficial to the closed box design that is lost with an open DCI.

If anyone KNOWS about this, please chime in.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #14
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBW View Post
I don't think most would argue that an "open" DCI will flow the most air. But, also that hot air/heat issues can be a real reality with a DCI in certain conditions too. I'm more curious about the supposed "air pressurization" design of the stock box that is lost with a typical open DCI. I imagine there has to be something to this. I'm not schooled in this whatsoever, but believe there must be something highly beneficial to the closed box design that is lost with an open DCI.

If anyone KNOWS about this, please chime in.

Thanks.
Very much doubt theres anything specifically wonderful about that at all. BMW just designed the closed intake to fit the engine and two turbos. Period. The stock intake compared to many others is not TOO bad or restrictive, but it still is. Dunno what this pressure thing your talking about, but take the restriction off the intake and you have a more efficient setup. Thats that.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #15
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

And so begins another intake debate.

I've got the DCI, and I plan to couple it with a bigger FMIC which should negate the additional intake heat.

Power gain debates aside, the DCI sure sounds cool.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #16
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

I like the overall idea of the new AFE intake, but the box it's self just does not seem to have enough space for air to move around the filter freely enough to take advantage of the full surface area of the filter. I like the post filter plumbing, and do believe that it represents a move in the right direction. However, I really don't see this making any more power than the OEM box to be honest. The fluid dynamics just seem to be handicapped by the small volume of the box.
      03-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #17
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Dunno what this pressure thing your talking about...
Me either! But, I've definitely heard something about it. And, still believe there must be something to having that box too. Otherwise, I think an open filter might be provided by the factory. After all, it would be much less expensive than what's in there now.

As an aside, I just can't do the DCI thing myself at this stage. I asked my mechanic about it. He agreed that I should stick with the OEM box too. And, BTW, he was a key guy on the Turner Motorsports team for many championship-winning years and now has his own thing going on with a championship-winning GTC team. My point ...I trust him.

Not trying to argue here. I would just love to be educated more on the benefit of the box. If anyone knows anything, please chime in.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 03:05 AM   #18
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I am really keen on ths new AFE intake, but a valid point was made by "thez99" I too used to have the Riss Racing Intake with Plenum and the one thing I hated about it most was the fact that after a few week the side of the Conical filter that was fed with air, was so dirty it had to be removed and cleaned. Much as I like the AFE design here, I do worry if the same issue would manifest itself....this is the reason I removed the RR intake.......it's in my attic if anyone want to buy it It does sound Awesome though
      03-24-2011, 03:33 AM   #19
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I finally pulled the trigger on a BMS DCI. After researching these forums for the past 2 years I decided the intake was never going to be a huge performance mod and I chose it because of the sound it makes. I like the sound intakes make in our cars. If heatsoak is a major problem I will swap it out for the stock airbox during the summer. I hope my $95 investment is worth it
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #20
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

I just installed the AFE Stage 2 DCI. I bought it very slightly used ($200 shipped) off a forum member. I have only gotten a chance to drive the car once but I definitely noticed a difference in power over the stock intake. Plus you can really hear the spool of the turbo's now. I like the design of the DCI better then that of the closed system. Although I did get the DCI before the closed system was announced but I am not disappointed in my choice, especially due to the price.

Appreciate 0