Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
Sorry, you completely missed the point.

Re skill, without sounding like too much of an ass, I instruct in cars far more powerful, difficult to drive and with far higher limits than my 1M has. From that perspective I find the 1M relatively easy to drive on and over the limit. However it's certainly more of a challenge to play over the limits on the RS-3s vs PSS because the slip angles are so much greater. So even if you're often going slower the RS-3s take more skill to use. However that's also part of the reason I enjoy them.

Any car is a balance between the motor, chassis and mechanical grip. Too much grip is easy to drive but it isn't fun- if you had an F1 car with the 1M's power to weight ratio (so about 130 hp) it'd be boring to drive as you'd never get the tires unstuck, while a model T with the same power to weight would be sideways instantly and scare the crap out of you.

While I'm able to exceed the tires grip with either tire, but the motor simply can't overcome the PSS grip as often, as much or for as long. So the PSS is sticky enough to upset the balance between grip and power that the engineers designed in. For competition that's great, give me all the grip I can get (hoosiers, etc). For having fun, however? Maybe too much of a good thing.

Of course you can add power and get some of the balance back, but then the chassis starts to lag (suspension too soft, then brakes too weak, etc) so it's a bit of a slippery slope.
I did not mean to question your driving skills. Think i should at least make that clear

in the case of fun, i /agree
      10-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #24
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

I'm going to replace my PS2's with the PSS after the winter and will be staying with the stock sizes.

However one question I do have is, what pressures (PSI) are you using with the stock sized tires?

I know the pressure settings depend on how many people you carry in the car, but I always set mine for two adults.

I'm just curious as to whether people are using the same pressure settings for the PS2's with their PSS' or whether they are using different ones? Again, this is all for the stock size tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #25
LuuZ
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Hi Chris, I will do the same change in March.
I always use recommended pression like 2,3 fr & 2,2 rr if I remember well...
      10-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #26
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuuZ View Post
Hi Chris, I will do the same change in March.
I always use recommended pression like 2,3 fr & 2,2 rr if I remember well...
Thanks. I thought that was probably the answer (to keep them the same pressures as the PS2's).

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #27
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
Thanks. I thought that was probably the answer (to keep them the same pressures as the PS2's).

I am putting a dot more with PSS and goes fine imo. 2.4 f/2.3 rear. Or 36 to 34 psi. Really depends on where and how you use the car and worth trying different pressures to find your prefered spot. You should do this experiment after the new tires break-in, makes more sense. And PSS do need a proper break-in, careful with heavy braking and like till a minimum 300 miles or so. Best is to make a longish and relaxed highway trip to take out the covering protective material.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #28
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

Sometimes you love sticky tires like on a trackday for a fast lap or normal street drive. But sometimes you wanna play with the balance of the car. Big 19 inch wide tires and play with the balance you need at least a race track or a top gear test track with wide sticky tires.

Or

You can go smaller.

I drive my 1M mostly with 8x18 inch wheels with 235/40 tires alround. It s for playing around with the balance of the car and have fun on relative normal speeds.

I have also have owned a 997 gen2 GT3 nice car but for the road to much grip to have fun driving on the balance of the car. I sold it because of it. You need a race track in youre backyard to enjoy such car.

This is off course for everyone different. I like to drive the car on under and oversteer. But it is not everyone s cup of tea. Some people just love very sticky tires and enjoy the high grip.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #29
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusBoy View Post
To me, one of the best combo for the 1M would be 18 inch wheels with 235/40 in front and 255/40 in the back. I'll perhaps be the only one to go narrower than standard, but I don't mind !!
Looks like you won't be the only one after all.

What tires do you run on those Advevo?
      10-11-2012, 03:59 AM   #30
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

I have driven manny brands.

Toyo
Bridgestone s001
Some cheap chinese brands.

For a wet track day i like the Bridgestones s001 a lot.

Last edited by Advevo; 10-11-2012 at 04:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #31
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
I am putting a dot more with PSS and goes fine imo. 2.4 f/2.3 rear. Or 36 to 34 psi. Really depends on where and how you use the car and worth trying different pressures to find your prefered spot. You should do this experiment after the new tires break-in, makes more sense. And PSS do need a proper break-in, careful with heavy braking and like till a minimum 300 miles or so. Best is to make a longish and relaxed highway trip to take out the covering protective material.
Thanks

I'll fiddle around with the pressures but I will try what you've suggested.
Appreciate 0