BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Salazar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Black 135i

Some lights came on this morning

Everything has been running very well the past couple weeks since the service was done for HPFP replacement and ecu reset. However, this morning there was some yellow lights that came up on the dash when i started the car and seemed to persist as I was driving. It looked like the "BRAKE" light and the DTC light as well as the brake icon. Attached is a picture of the light indicators.

Are these light indicators something that needs to be addressed fairly quickly? I'm not exactly sure what they mean and I have tried pressing the DTC button but nothing happens. Also, I noticed that when I used the turn signal it continues to blink even after turning and I have to manually turn it off.

Could it be an ECU problem?

VMR v715 | Rieger Eyelids| ST Coils | Custom Tint | 3D Design | Custom Quad
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

There is a fault in dsc / abs / traction control... a major sensor is the SZL.. this is basically a sensor in the steering column that telss all other control units what position the steering wheels is at.

Try this to reset...

get in car
start car
leave in park
turn wheel all the way to the left without stopping until the end and pause there 2 seconds
turn wheel all the way to right without stopping until the end and pause there for 2 seconds
repeat to the left 1 more time
return to center position.

now without turning car off, go for a short drive. it may be 20 feet it may be 200.... lights should clear.

Good Luck
      05-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
Salazar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
There is a fault in dsc / abs / traction control... a major sensor is the SZL.. this is basically a sensor in the steering column that telss all other control units what position the steering wheels is at.

Try this to reset...

get in car
start car
leave in park
turn wheel all the way to the left without stopping until the end and pause there 2 seconds
turn wheel all the way to right without stopping until the end and pause there for 2 seconds
repeat to the left 1 more time
return to center position.

now without turning car off, go for a short drive. it may be 20 feet it may be 200.... lights should clear.

Good Luck
Interesting.. I will give that a try and let you know how it goes.. Thank you for the info!!

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
Salazar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also, any idea what would have caused this to fail in the first place? Is this common?

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salazar View Post
Also, any idea what would have caused this to fail in the first place? Is this common?
If what i said "fixed" it, its not that something failed as much as something needed to be calibrated..

DSc Calibration could be lost due to:

low voltage,
unrecognized input ( i.e wild manuver, wheel lock up, power slide etc etc )
not recalibrated when progrmmed but i suspect light would have come on sooner)

and yes i seen it happen every once and a while..

P.s. If this fixes it, and it comes back in a couple of weeks, then you are going to have to bring it back..

good luck
      05-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
Salazar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Worked like a charm! Also hasnt come back on yet so crossing my fingers.. Thanks again!

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

woo hoo..

cool.. enjoy ..

Its important to post back if it comes back quickly. ive answered this for a few members and sometimes we never really know if it was just a momentary hick up or a permenant failure..

regards..
      05-18-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
Salazar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
woo hoo..

cool.. enjoy ..

Its important to post back if it comes back quickly. ive answered this for a few members and sometimes we never really know if it was just a momentary hick up or a permenant failure..

regards..
Aww just my luck.. came back on today.. reset it again and it came back on 5 min later even faster this time.. I guess ill schedule an appointment with the dealer =X

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
lawandorder360
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Our car had a similar problem today, too...but only with MANY MORE warning lights showing up. Any ideas on what it could be? She was dropped off at the dealer this evening with diagnosis set for tomorrow AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Aww just my luck.. came back on today.. reset it again and it came back on 5 min later even faster this time.. I guess ill schedule an appointment with the dealer =X
sorry man 6 days.. Hmmmm

Im gonna go that it needs a new SZL... no big deal... part is under the steering wheel...its what we used to call the "clock spring" and then encoding... youll loose if for a day if they have the part... if not maybe 2 days..

remember, some dsc / dtc / abs functions may be compromized while running in this mode... this doesnt mean you dont have any brakes, so dont panic and get all nervous.

There is another "calibration" but you cant do it without there machine... it may need to be done that way...but dont hold your hopes for that..
      05-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #11
Salazar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
sorry man 6 days.. Hmmmm

Im gonna go that it needs a new SZL... no big deal... part is under the steering wheel...its what we used to call the "clock spring" and then encoding... youll loose if for a day if they have the part... if not maybe 2 days..

remember, some dsc / dtc / abs functions may be compromized while running in this mode... this doesnt mean you dont have any brakes, so dont panic and get all nervous.

There is another "calibration" but you cant do it without there machine... it may need to be done that way...but dont hold your hopes for that..
Thanks for all the help! In fact turned out to be a bad SZL and was replaced. Was able to pick up the car the next day with a half-assed car wash, but still free nonetheless

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the help! In fact turned out to be a bad SZL and was replaced. Was able to pick up the car the next day with a half-assed car wash, but still free nonetheless
WHAT DO I WIN !!!!!

Seriously, thats great... you should be good to go for a while..

Ok.. now people that hopfully SEARCH will have a repair and if not a potential cause, and not to panic...

search clues: DSC, warning lights,SZL, brake warning,
      06-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #13
car_freak
Registered
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: E87 118i

Hello guys. I have the same problems with my 118i y.2005, please tell me what is SZL?
Thank you for the answers.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

its an acronym for "slip ring" in BMW speak... it is a device mounted underneath the steering wheel... it tells the car what position the steering wheel is at as an input for other control units, all dealing with stability control and abs etc etc etc

try resetting it as described above.
      06-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #15
car_freak
Registered
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: E87 118i

Thumbs up

Quote:
its an acronym for "slip ring" in BMW speak... it is a device mounted underneath the steering wheel... it tells the car what position the steering wheel is at as an input for other control units, all dealing with stability control and abs etc etc etc

try resetting it as described above.
Thank you for quick reply. I have been at service, and we did the reset of the failure by OBD. But few hours later, failure appeared again.
Thank you again!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 10:04 AM   #16
drtvinp
Jedi Wannabe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 128i ZSP

Quote:
I know it's been like 7 years, but do you remember what you spent on this out the door?
Appreciate 0