BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
Larry_Legend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Paint Matching

My 135i Coupe was hit by a drunk driver while parked in front of my sister's house.

The damage appears to be minimal, but I am concerned.

It looks like his front passenger tire hit my rear driver's side tire.

There is damage to the rear bumper and fender. There is also damage to both rear rims, as the impact pushed my car into the curb. That being said, I would have expected more damage to the rims. I think the rim that hit the curb is more scratched up than the one he actually hit.

I spoke to a friend who's family has an auto body shop in North Jersey. He said his father would order paint directly from Dupont. Not only did he get the right color, he would ask for that exact batch of paint!

Is this overkill? How do places match paint? Has anyone had any bad experiences? I'd like to have an idea of what to expect and to demand when the repair is done.

Any recommendations of central jersey body shops also appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
What Colour is your paint? If it's metallic, he must get the right batch number or else it will look different than the rest of the car and certain parts would have to be blended also.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
Larry_Legend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

My BMW is Midnight Blue Metallic

Will a local body shop be able to match the color, or should I go to the trouble of finding my batch?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
If you can find the batch, then great. But if not, it may be difficult for a shop to match exactly, hence the blending of other near-by body parts.

I used to drive this black metallic honda and when I needed the door repainted, the shop told me they need to repaint both doors or else it'll look different. I agreed, considering I've experienced it before this honda. So he blended both the doors and it looked great.
Appreciate 0