BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-03-2009, 05:41 AM   #1
tmos
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver 135i

Angry Newbie with suspected HPFP failure

Hi Guys
Thought it was time for an intro…..
I have been following posts for a few months now and find the forum and everybody involved quite awesome! Great job and one of the best forums around.

I ordered my Beasty in December 2008 and took ownership mid April 2009 and already clocked almost 8500 km. What a joy, until yesterday evening. On my way home form the office I experienced the all too dreaded drive train shudder, misfiring and a lack of the o so awesome power. I had a strong suspicion that my HPFP gave up and my feeling was confirmed when I read related posts from GMZA and some from the US guys.
No warning lights on the dash yet but getting crappy throttle response and huge turbo lag at the moment. I could only get a booking for next Tuesday. My dealer is Northcliff Auto. They do not seem to be aware of the HPFP problem on our cars……….??
Hoping for the best but I guess time will tell.
Will keep you guys informed. Cheers for now.
      09-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Ivor
Private
Rep
Drives:

Good Luck,

Keep us posted. I thought initially the HPFP failure was more US related because of fuel differences etc.
      09-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 ZCP

tmos! stay far far far away from northcliff auto! they are clueless with problems like these!
      09-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I really dont understand these HPFP postes anymore. Its obvious the dealer wont do shit until the thing goes, taking a turbo and a cylinderhead with it. Ive had my car into the dealer with "suspected" HPFP failure several times. One time the car actually misfired several times infront of the head shop mechanic...and yet they do nothing.

Sorry about your troubles man, but you just need to wait until the thing blows up.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
tmos
South Africa
Rep

Thanks for the feedback guys!

BrokenVert I hope that your car gets sorted soon. Have you tried a different dealer yet?

Notion-za, I wish I logged in to the post earlier to note your warning…. But
too late now as the car was booked in this morning.
For whatever it is worth, I stressed that the problem was with the HPFP and even gave them a printout of gmza’s (very helpful) post with all the info on identification and production numbers of faulty units as well as symptoms resulting from pump failure. To my surprise the service consultant actually accepted the info and seemed appreciative. My idea was to point them in the correct direction so that the whole frigging situation can be resolved in the shortest possible time and I can have my Beasty back by the weekend! Perhaps this is wishful thinking. Well at least they offered me wheels in the mean time, a 320 mind you and not a Toyota Yaris…….

By midday the dealer called to inform me that the car will have to stay for a “few days” (as I suspected would happen) and that they are opening a PUMA case with BMW. This normally indicates a claim for a new part from the factory or do I have it wrong?

Watch this space for an update, cheers for now and thanks again for all the helpful info gmza!
      09-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
ALLMuRdErEdOut
Wanna Get MURDERED???
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 M1

Welcome to the Club!
      09-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
tmos: Sorry to hear about the problems. It definitely sounds like an HPFP case, particularly considering the symptoms and mileage. And for you sake, I hope it is, because then it's an open-and-shut case, they replace the pump, reset the DME adaptions then you're as good as new!

Good luck, and don't punish that 320 too badly in the mean time! *grin*

--G
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 06:54 AM   #8
tmos
South Africa
Rep

gmza: Got my car back yesterday afternoon and it seems to be back to normal performance levels as far as I could tell through heavy traffic on my way home. I will give it run tomorrow.
It turned out not be the HPFP but according to Northcliff Auto they were instructed by BMW to swop the coils around. The ECU reported a misfire on cylinder three which I can clearly recall happening. The whole thing sounds very unlikely to me as the symptoms resembled a HPFP failure, but they insist that they tested the it and did not detect any failure. So far so good but time will tell. What is your take on this?
      09-12-2009, 07:38 AM   #9
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
tmos: If I were you, I'd try and get them to print out the actual fault codes for you (assuming they haven't cleared them already). It seems extremely unlikely that the ECU would log a mis-fire alone and nothing else. If so, it could be any of a number of issues. With no other electronic sensors picking up an error, I'd look to mechanical issues. E.g. a boost leak (crack or hole in one of the hoses), or something that doesn't involve an electronically managed system. Coils *MAY* be to blame.

Attached is an example-printout from when my HPFP failed. As you can see, there is both a cylinder injection cut-out code as well as a fuel pressure code.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW 135i Fault Codes - 13 Sep 2008.pdf (580.0 KB, 313 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
tmos
South Africa
Rep

gmza: Many thanks for your input and feedback. All I have is the diagnostic report. I will see if I can still get the fault code printout next week.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Diagnostics Report.pdf (156.2 KB, 920 views)