08-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
oystero
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW 1M, E90 320d

Updated: Lightweight mids+exhaust V2

Hi all,
As most of you are or are not aware, back in Sept 2012, Lightweight has started changing manufacturers and making improvements to the 1M exhaust system, especially improvement to the raw materials used. Their target benchmark, is nonetheless the god of titanium exhaust - Akrapovic.

Fast forward 11 months later (playing the waiting game as well as countless emails in between), Marc has finally shipped the rear exhaust down under. Without further ado, here are some 1addict customary videos. Enjoy !!! Huge thanks to,
Lightweight - Marc (Fuchsröhre)
Australian distributor - Saurabh (saurabh_turingMS)
Active Motorwerke - Steven & Jin (Steven.ActiveMotorwerke & Jin.ActiveMotorwerke)

OEM exhaust vs Lightweight titan (catless DP)

Road test soundtrack

Updated 24/2/14: Lightweight mids+exhaust
See post #38

Here are some workshop photos from Active Mortorwerke
Attached Images

Last edited by oystero; 02-24-2014 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

I believe it might be the very best exhaust for the 1M.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
saurabh_turingMS
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M AW (F10 520D MSport - gone)

nice work mate, glad to hear ur enjoying the exhaust & tune
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
oystero
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the compliment Ian, Oz and Saurabh
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

SO???

How much does it weight?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
oystero
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
It looks like amazing quality. Difficult to see in the photos, but is the finish on the tips smooth or slightly matte? Looks like the pipes connecting to the main box have some lateral adjustment which is useful for alignment.

Does it have a valve function/option? I must say with the Akra it is nice to have both options. 'Closed' lets you appreciate the engine noise more, while 'Open' is just stupidly aggressive.
Was told the finish is as good as akra. Sorry pics couldn't display any clearer but it is slightly matte/rough surface, not smooth like S/S

Will get Jin to confirm if that "triangle" is used to secure the exhaust

No, there is no valve for this (there is however for the M135 exhaust apparently). You are correct, the valve is great for cold start and trying to "stealth" through the neighbourhood. It's a personal choice i guessed. For me, i hardly go over 2000rpm on melb's silly 50km/h and 80km/h roads, so right foot is my valve
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
oystero
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
SO???

How much does it weight?
What is "SO" ?

Sorry, Steven did not put it on the scale But he mentioned that it's slightly lighter than akra. I will check with Marc if he can provide the details.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #8
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Lightweight web site has some info about the weight savings: says 6.5 kg. less than stock for titanium rear muffler that OP has; and if their full titanium exhaust (which also keeps the stock down pipes; Lightweight offers separate down pipe options though) is chosen then the weight saving over stock jumps to 17.6 kg. Don't know how these numbers correspond to Akra's.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 03:33 AM   #9
Aqua
Private
Taiwan
Rep

Looks so nice! If I were going to go the Ti exhaust route I would get this over Akra just for something different.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
PaulMcA
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

What's the cost to UK customers?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
jan9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMcA View Post
Going off their website - 2299euros with titanium tailpipes, 2699 euros with stainless steel/carbon tailpipes and 3999 euros for the complete system.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
oystero
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua
Looks so nice! If I were going to go the Ti exhaust route I would get this over Akra just for something different.
Thanks aqua
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #13
oystero
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMcA View Post
Going off their website - 2299euros with titanium tailpipes, 2699 euros with stainless steel/carbon tailpipes and 3999 euros for the complete system.
I have pinged Marc to jump into this thread. Best to either email (info@lightweight-titanauspuffanlagen.de)
or via pm that I listed on post#1 for a final price including shipping
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #14
Acetech
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 M3. 98 M3. 11 1M

This is the first 1M exhaust I have actually wanted, great sound
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 03:01 AM   #15
oystero
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acetech
This is the first 1M exhaust I have actually wanted, great sound
Thx Ace. All the best !!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 03:08 AM   #16
oystero
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by oystero View Post
Thanks for the compliment Ian, Oz and Saurabh
It looks like amazing quality. Difficult to see in the photos, but is the finish on the tips smooth or slightly matte? Looks like the pipes connecting to the main box have some lateral adjustment which is useful for alignment.

Does it have a valve function/option? I must say with the Akra it is nice to have both options. 'Closed' lets you appreciate the engine noise more, while 'Open' is just stupidly aggressive.
Ian,
Not sure if minute adjustment can be made. Or i was just lucky that the diffuser and exhaust all lined up

According to Jin. That part is weld on to the muffler, it's used to secure the exhaust, it's where the exhaust rubber hanger slides onto.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #17
Fuchsröhre
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupé/ M3 CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by oystero View Post
What is "SO" ?

Sorry, Steven did not put it on the scale But he mentioned that it's slightly lighter than akra. I will check with Marc if he can provide the details.
The end-muffler weight is about 6,5kg. I think we are lighter than Akra, because we use a titanium with 1,2mm thickness, think Akra will use 1,5mm.
The titanium we use is builded in Japan, Special made for the high temperature in exhaust using.
Titanium is a fine material, but it's tricky if the temperature grove over 250-300 degree celsius. Normal titanium (Grade 1or 2) can not be used and will brake down after a while. Akra takes also a high temperature Titanium.

Valve Control: We thought a lot about this Option and builded two sets of this. But the Sound wasn't as good than we thought. You Need a complete exhaust System to get the 1M louder than Serial. For that, we builded a loud end-muffler. 90% of our customers in Europe take this Option, because the Sound, only made by the end-muffler, is really good and you can save the Money for a complete System.
      08-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #18
Chapman1977
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuchsröhre View Post
You Need a complete exhaust System to get the 1M louder than Serial. For that, we builded a loud end-muffler. 90% of our customers in Europe take this Option, because the Sound, only made by the end-muffler, is really good and you can save the Money for a complete System.
Just my two cents.

I have the stainless steel rearbox mated to a N55 midpipe and I'm very satisfied. The Lightweight Exhaust makes an awesome noise under all circumstances - whether you step on it, let go of the gas pedal, heel-and-toe downshifts, you name it.

Superb quality for a very fair price compared to other competitors on the market.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #19
LuuZ
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Great sound !!
      08-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #20
Acetech
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 M3. 98 M3. 11 1M

Anychance someone has a sound clip of the stainless version of this exhaust? And pics?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #21
oystero
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapman1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuchsrhre View Post
You Need a complete exhaust System to get the 1M louder than Serial. For that, we builded a loud end-muffler. 90% of our customers in Europe take this Option, because the Sound, only made by the end-muffler, is really good and you can save the Money for a complete System.
Just my two cents.

I have the stainless steel rearbox mated to a N55 midpipe and I'm very satisfied. The Lightweight Exhaust makes an awesome noise under all circumstances - whether you step on it, let go of the gas pedal, heel-and-toe downshifts, you name it.

Superb quality for a very fair price compared to other competitors on the market.

Cheers
Congrats on the s/s. how long have you had it ?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #22
oystero
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acetech
Anychance someone has a sound clip of the stainless version of this exhaust? And pics?
There are some pics on lightweight's FB photo album (I think, wasn't sure if they are just prototypes)
Appreciate 0