BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #23
spud
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

cant believe most people havnt spoken up about this...

Most brakes have an early warning system to let you know that your brake pads are getting low and they need to be replaced. A small device extends to the rotor and makes the squealing sound every time you apply the brakes. This setup has been around for a long time.

Brake squeal most of the time means you need new pads.

Alex
2009 135i LMB M package
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #24
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
well well well -

After about a month of the wonderful noise myself, and only during the last few moments of braking, I get the dreaded noise. So, I took mine in about 2 weeks ago. " dealer - oh probably just some salt stuck we will check it out '

Picked it up next day - and yep salt rock stuck and all pads are in good shape after only 15k on the clock..

Drive off.. squeal - squeal - when I hit the next light - so I give it some time and still on my third week the same 'ole sounds.

So, drop it off on Wednesday - funny thing - the front rotors are slightly warped - although I've not had any pulse sensation in the pedal. But they are they experts and rotors to arrive on Thursday - well - they shipped from another location so now its Friday.

I will say this - my SA is the best I've seen. He stays on top of it; calls me with updates, ensures he notes all of my concerns upon arrival, responds to e-mail, and most of all acknowledges that I'm very passionate about my car - not just a BMW owner for status I say this because he told me face to face that he understands the passion and love I have for my 1er. He even recapped how I bought my car while stationed in Germany via the military sales program and PROUDLY display the EU license plate

So, I'm glad they are working on the brake situation - I just didn't think it was as bad as doing rotors. I miss my car after 2 days - the 128 just isn't cutting it - granted the standard i6 is a decent motor - but the added TT is a total blast
      03-26-2010, 02:19 AM   #25
Mitch1er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

SI B 34 03 09
Brakes September 2009
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin replaces B34 01 07, B34 08 08 and B34 09 08.

SUBJECT
Brake Squeal from Pad Wear Sensor

MODEL
E82, E88 (1 Series) up to 12/08

E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series) up to 12/08

E60, E61 (5 Series) up to 5/09

E63, E64 (6 Series) up to 5/09

E65, E66 (7 Series) up to 2/07

E70 (X5) up to 1/09

E71 (X6) up to 1/09

SITUATION
Depending on the driving conditions, the occasional brake squeak and/or squeal is normal. The condition listed in this bulletin occurs during all light to moderate brake applications and is caused by contact between the brake pad wear sensor and the brake rotor/disc. This situation can occur on the front or rear axle brakes.

CAUSE
The geometry of the brake wear sensor, combined with individual driving habits, can result in a particular wear pattern which causes a squeaking and/or squealing noise whenever the brakes are applied with light to moderate force.

CORRECTION
Road test the vehicle to determine the source of the noise. If the noise is coming from the brake system, inspect the brake pad wear sensor of the affected axle. If the sensor is in contact with the rotor/disc, remove the sensor and drive the vehicle.

If the noise is not eliminated, further diagnosis is required to determine the cause of the noise.

If the noise is eliminated, replace the brake pads and wear sensor of the affected axle.

Measure and record the thickness of each of the brake pads to be replaced. Refer to the Warranty section of this bulletin for important information regarding the correct usage of warranty defect codes based on brake pad thickness.

Refer to the appropriate Repair Instructions:

RA 34 11 000 "Removing and installing/replacing brake linings on both front disc brakes"

RA 34 21 200 "Removing and installing/replacing brake linings on both rear brake discs"

PARTS INFORMATION
For the latest part numbers of brake components, please refer to EPC/ETK. Only replace parts on the affected axle as listed under CORRECTION in this bulletin.
Appreciate 0