BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

About to pull the trigger...

Just needed some friendly opinions as to the pros/cons and overall impressions of the following set-ups:

For reference, my car is a DD and I plan to autox and enter a few HPDE events yearly.

1) HP Autowerk's Koni Coilover Kit
http://hpashop.com/product.sc?produc...categoryId=235

I would get the threaded body front strut, Swift thrust sheets and external adjustable rear shock options.

Total = $1728

2) TC Kline True Match S/A
http://www.tcklineracing.com/webdocs.../Details17.cfm

$1854.44

I don't mind a hit to comfort, but I also can't stand an overly harsh/noisy ride. I also plan on doing the M3 bits (front roll bar, front control arms and eventually subframe bushings).

I know I may be splitting hairs given that these both utilize varying degrees of custom Koni yellows. Also, from what I have read, folks (including Orb if I'm not mistaken) seem to like the performance of Swift springs the best, but I'm not sure its a difference I would notice.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
cdv delete | clutch stop | bmw performance ssk | meisterschaft gt | berk mids | dinan cai | helix fmic | m3 subframe bushings, swaybar, front and back suspension bits | dinan stage 1 suspension | dinan cf strut brace |gc camber plates | dinan oil cooler | apex ec-7s w/PSSs | cobb stage 1 + fmic

Last edited by icabod7; 10-11-2011 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
3liter1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

I have the TC Kline setup, and I believe the price is actually a few hundred lower than on the link (Koni now makes a 128 specific damper that required less modification) Call TC Kline.
I am very happy with them, though I am starting to wonder if I will need new subframe bushings (expensive) as strongly recommended in the TC Kline posted article (search). Also , there is some clunking over road holes, presumably from the Vorschlag camber plates, though some here have posted that it is the koni's making that sound. Decide if you think you need camber plates or not.
Finally, I would described the ride not as harsh, but very "wired", and mine are set almost at the softest setting. That said, steering feedback and performance on turns is incredible. Too bad BMW does not build this into their sport packages (but then they might sell fewer Ms)
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
I don't know the differences between those suspensions, so no comment on that, but I do like TC Kline's recommended spring rates.

Also, I promise you're going to want the M3 rear subframe bushings immediately, not eventually.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiS4 View Post
I have the TC Kline setup, and I believe the price is actually a few hundred lower than on the link (Koni now makes a 128 specific damper that required less modification) Call TC Kline.
I am very happy with them, though I am starting to wonder if I will need new subframe bushings (expensive) as strongly recommended in the TC Kline posted article (search). Also , there is some clunking over road holes, presumably from the Vorschlag camber plates, though some here have posted that it is the koni's making that sound. Decide if you think you need camber plates or not.
Finally, I would described the ride not as harsh, but very "wired", and mine are set almost at the softest setting. That said, steering feedback and performance on turns is incredible. Too bad BMW does not build this into their sport packages (but then they might sell fewer Ms)
Thanks for the input -- I have a 135i so I'm not sure that the discount will apply. Update: Just called TC Kline, and $1854.44 is the current price for the SA coilovers for the 135i.

Have you ridden in/driven other 1-series with different set ups as a point of comparison?
cdv delete | clutch stop | bmw performance ssk | meisterschaft gt | berk mids | dinan cai | helix fmic | m3 subframe bushings, swaybar, front and back suspension bits | dinan stage 1 suspension | dinan cf strut brace |gc camber plates | dinan oil cooler | apex ec-7s w/PSSs | cobb stage 1 + fmic

Last edited by icabod7; 10-11-2011 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
I don't know the differences between those suspensions, so no comment on that, but I do like TC Kline's recommended spring rates.

Also, I promise you're going to want the M3 rear subframe bushings immediately, not eventually.
Yeah, I know you're right. I've read TC Kline's article re: 128i and I know its necessary.

If you had the subframe bushings replaced, can you give me a ballpark labor estimate?

Last edited by icabod7; 10-11-2011 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
GaryS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
6 or 7 hours for rear subframe bushings.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiS4 View Post
Some corrections here...There is not a 128i specific strut or shock, but rather a standard strut(not thread body) and a full threaded body strut, both will fit all 1 and 3 non-M(will fit with an adapter) series and non-xi. Rear shock is the same as well, but don't fit wagons.

The main difference between our coilover kit and TCK is the springs and the optional thrust sheets. We use Swift springs and TC has his own. The struts and shocks, either standard or fully threaded body are exactly the same.

Our kits are on sale right now so the entry price point is lower. The other benefit of our kits is the use of Swift thrust sheets to allow springs to rotate to prevent rate spikes as well as dampen some noises associated with using coilover type set up with springs sitting between two alloy spring seats.

Vorshlag plates don't clunk unless you have a bad bearing or the top nut loose.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
The main difference between our coilover kit and TCK is the springs and the optional thrust sheets. We use Swift springs and TC has his own. The struts and shocks, either standard or fully threaded body are exactly the same.
the dampers' mechanicals are the same, but doesn't TCK get custom valving specs from koni on the SA and DA dampers? or is that not the case anymore?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post
the dampers' mechanicals are the same, but doesn't TCK get custom valving specs from koni on the SA and DA dampers? or is that not the case anymore?
Rebound valving is slightly more aggressive than the Koni Yellows, but it's still the same strut and shock in the HPA and TCK kits.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Rebound valving is slightly more aggressive than the Koni Yellows, but it's still the same strut and shock in the HPA and TCK kits.
Thanks for the info -- I'm guessing the difference in the valving is probably imperceptible to the average user...or evens out considering Swift springs are generally regarded as a better spring
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icabod7 View Post
Thanks for the info -- I'm guessing the difference in the valving is probably imperceptible to the average user...or evens out considering Swift springs are generally regarded as a better spring
Yes, to the average user, the difference will not be felt at all.

You may find this interesting on the Swift vs Vogtland/TCK vs Tein:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...swift+vogtland
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #12
MaC-N54-E82
G82 Love
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
[QUOTE=icabod7;10589279]Just needed some friendly opinions as to the pros/cons and overall impressions of the following set-ups:

For reference, my car is a DD and I plan to autox and enter a few HPDE events yearly.

[url]http://hpashop.com/product.sc?productId=150
Also: FJ60, Volvo Recharge
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=MaC-N54-E82;10624163]
Quote:
Just needed some friendly opinions as to the pros/cons and overall impressions of the following set-ups:

[url]http://hpashop.com/product.sc?productId=150
What?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
KW V2...
      10-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #15
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=icabod7;10641903]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaC-N54-E82 View Post

What?
That is a link to our Koni based coil over kit using custom linear rate Swift springs.

Either ours or TCK will be way better than KW(lack of linear and customize spring rates).
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #16
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=HP Autowerks;10643939]
Quote:

That is a link to our Koni based coil over kit using custom linear rate Swift springs.

Either ours or TCK will be way better than KW(lack of linear and customize spring rates).
Gotcha -- just an odd reply as I already had the link from my OP...

Guess Mac-n54-e82's vote is for your Koni setup!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #17
evilstib
Bimmer Newbie
Canada
Rep
Drives: CSM N54 Prem/Comf/Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post

Why?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 05:37 AM   #18
GaryS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilstib View Post
Why?
Because the rear will bounce.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #19
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

I vote TCK. I had the DA's on my M3 and they were fantastic. I know the SA's will be a different ride but I've talked with TCK several times and their suspension theory and service is just great. When I had the DA's on the M, people would ALWAYS comment at how comfortable the car was when tuned down for the street and how flat it was in the corners. Amazing.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #20
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
IMO our cars need some pretty aggressive suspension mods if you want to take them to the track, especially if you've upped the horsepower. My car is way to fast for how it handles to me. But then again I also have a Porsche and had a Vette so I'm used to cars more made for the track. I like my car as modded below for daily driving but I'd do what you plan if I were planning track use. I think I'd pick the HPA system.

I kinda prefer a suspension that is a little stiff for daily driving and then using softer sidewalled tires (Toyos, Sumitomos, etc) to even it out for daily driving, especially if you later can get some track specific wheels/tires. I just put new got new front tires so I'm now on my 4th different tire brand and for sure the handling of our cars is much more tire dependent than it has been with other cars I've owned.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0