BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
vmcllc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Faster Than The Speed Limit

Split Second Turbo Tuner - Stage Ii Release

Hello all....Well the announcement has been made...the Split Second Turbo Tuner - Stage II has finally been released.

Now first off...this doesn't increase the power anymore than the Stage I did, but the additional features of the Stage II allow you to tailor in the ideal boost for you car...also the unit has a longer harness...which allows easy access the the Turbo Tuner for dialing in the turbo whenever you want...

This unit is a more refined version of the awesome Turbo Tuner, with the features the customers just like you have been requesting...so here it is...

We have special pricing, but as you know I can't tell you...but you can see for yourself at our website...just put it in your cart and enter "SSTT" in the coupon/discount field for automatic price update...

Split Second Turbo Tuner

Enjoy!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

What extra features does this have *exactly*? Is it just an expensive JB+ (with less potential power) with a long cord?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
tkd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

The extension cord is a very nice feature, but if the price is any higher than a JB+, it's not going to sell.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
BlackNWhite
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oreo Cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
What extra features does this have *exactly*? Is it just an expensive JB+ (with less potential power) with a long cord?
Good Answer
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 06:27 AM   #5
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

$600 -
      05-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Man, I hope no one buys this thing... the JB+ is cheaper and had the aforementioned boost dialing well before this.
      05-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #7
mynew135
assistant to the regional manager
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Ok, $100 off with the coupon code, but still almost double the JB+.
No thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynew135 View Post
Ok, $100 off with the coupon code, but still almost double the JB+.
No thanks.
What, you expect the cord to be free?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
trboboost91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red135 View Post
What, you expect the cord to be free?
do you think the cord is worth $220????

even with the $100 discount this is STILL overpriced.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #10
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Do I think the entire product is worth $220?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
JohnnyTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5

I absolutely love the idea of the extension cord. You just need some better pricing.

The cord really makes this product very competitive.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I really don't see the need for the longer cords, unless you are constantly changing your boost. I set my at 75% and never removed it again.
      05-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #13
vmcllc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Okay...I'm going to try and answer all of your questions and if I missed one..sorry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
Well as you may already know...the main additions to the Stage II are:
  1. The ability to dial in the desired turbo boost...now they didn't raise the amount of additional boost from the Stage I, just the ability to dial in your own...
  2. The longer cord...I shouldn't have to really explain this one...it should be obvious to you what this is for...but I will...to give you easy access to dial in the boost...but as others have mentioned...some may dial it in and never touch it again, where others will want to play with it...so it's a catch 22...if Split Second didn't put the longer cord...they would hear the griping from people as to why they didn't put it on...and then again they put it on and they are still going to hear the gripping...
Now...I know alot of you simply look at the bottom dollar...as you should but you should also look at what you get for it...AND THOSE THAT ACTUAL READ WHAT RETAILERS PUT ON THEIR WEBSITE i THANK YOU... i COULDN'T TELL YOU HOW MANY TIME WE GET ASKED IF THERE IS A DISCOUNT OFF THE FIXED RETAIL PRICE OF $599....AND WE SHAKE OUR HEADS WHEN WE HAVE TO ASK IF THEY READ IN THE BOLD RED TEXT THE DISCOUNT WE CLEARLY STATE.... SO THANK YOU...YOU MADE MY DAY...HAHA

But anyway back to the point...first off...just to explain I'm not going to comment on a product I don't sell...what I will do is point out why the Split Second Turbo Tuner is definitely worth every bit it is priced at...even without our instant rebate...

1. The Turbo Tuner ever since it's release oh...2 or so years ago...has not gone through a single revision change...it's the same unit that was released then as it is now...even when BMW made the software change to detect units such as these...they were the only one who didn't need to change there unit to still be undetectable...why....because they did their job right the first time....which should say allot about what went into this unit...and the countless hour of R&D to ensure perfect harmony with the BMW ECU....
  2. Also the Turbo Tuner...was the first to be completely PnP using OEM connectors....they set the standard...no fumbling with pins or anything...simply plug it in and un-plug it when needed...making it a great resell able product when or if you ever sell your car...
  3. Also the logic that controls your turbos is very sophisticated...their control logic employs a damping ratio which controls the turbos from ever spiking boost...what this means is that you will never have a condition such that the turbos ever exceeding their preset limit by over boosting...the boost is applied smoothly which protects your engine and your turbo...ensuring that the life of these components are never compromised...
  4. Also something that you may not know...is that the Turbo tuner also monitors the underhood temperature of your car..and no I'm not talking about the TP sensor in the intake tract...but a separate thermocouple embedded in the Turbo Tuner unit itself, which again monitors the temperature surrounding the engine....what it does is when the temperature exceeds a predetermined underhood temperature it backs off the boost, don't' ask me what this temp is as I don't even know this...I assume you know why...and not have to go into the thermodynamics on what happens on higher compression ratio and higher initial temps of a controlled system...
i just want to make sure that you have all the fact straight before you pass judgment on something just based on price.... Split Second is a well respected company that takes pride in their product and will stand behind you if there is ever and issue...and for all the time we have been carrying their Turbo tuners....we have never had one single customer complain about it....

Now as Price seems to be such a brick wall with this unit..I wish I could honestly give you a better price....and we do give our best price up front...that is why we offer an instant rebate.... But you must realize....Split Second isn't just setting the retail at $599 because they want to...they like all manufacturer asses and capture all the cost that goes into making these...If I could lower it anymore I would in a heartbeat... Take for example our BMW Wheel Spacers, we just lowered our prices on these because we are manufacturing these in higher volumes which lowers our cost, so we pass these savings on to you guys... So again if I could I would...trust me...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #14
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Chad, can you absolutely GUARANTEE that the SSTT will not throw a tuner/manipulation code? Will your company stand behind that?

I think that in itself would be a great reason to pay more than for the competition (which is throwing codes)

If this thing throws codes, and I'm not just talking about CELs, then the whole price difference reasoning gets to be a tougher sell.....

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #15
vmcllc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
Chad, can you absolutely GUARANTEE that the SSTT will not throw a tuner/manipulation code? Will your company stand behind that?

I think that in itself would be a great reason to pay more than for the competition (which is throwing codes)

If this thing throws codes, and I'm not just talking about CELs, then the whole price difference reasoning gets to be a tougher sell.....
History speaks for itself...These do not in any way throw a code in any manner...period...we have never had any one of our customers have a MIL code get thrown with this on their car nor have I ever heard of this happening from anyone else, whether bought from us or not......this was all debated last year when BMW changed there ECU software to detect these...and everyone was concerned...well that was then...and this is now..and still no complaints and no issues......

Like I mentioned....a little bit of the extra cost can go a long way...so dismissing a product solely on price is not always the best option if you don't compare apples to apples....Split Second turbo tuner has not needed to revise their software at all...because they did it right...they didn't go hog wild crazy and design this for pumping out max power, though they easily could, but then you are just asking for other issues to come up..one of which is the hassle of MIL codes...they took the conservative approach and made a sensible product that give no trouble at all...which is a very sound decision..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #16
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmcllc View Post
History speaks for itself...These do not in any way throw a code in any manner...period...we have never had any one of our customers have a MIL code get thrown with this on their car nor have I ever heard of this happening from anyone else, whether bought from us or not......this was all debated last year when BMW changed there ECU software to detect these...and everyone was concerned...well that was then...and this is now..and still no complaints and no issues......

Like I mentioned....a little bit of the extra cost can go a long way...so dismissing a product solely on price is not always the best option if you don't compare apples to apples....Split Second turbo tuner has not needed to revise their software at all...because they did it right...they didn't go hog wild crazy and design this for pumping out max power, though they easily could, but then you are just asking for other issues to come up..one of which is the hassle of MIL codes...they took the conservative approach and made a sensible product that give no trouble at all...which is a very sound decision..
Nice, well if this is the case (no tuner codes being thrown) I'd think that people would be happy to pay more for it!

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #17
mynew135
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:

I could be wrong, but i don't think the other product has ever thrown codes when left on the default setting, which I believe creates about the same power as the SSTT. It's when you dial the other product up higher than 50% and increase the power beyond what you can get from the SSTT that some codes have been thrown.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #18
vmcllc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I could be wrong, but i don't think the other product has ever thrown codes when left on the default setting, which I believe creates about the same power as the SSTT. It's when you dial the other product up higher than 50% and increase the power beyond what you can get from the SSTT that some codes have been thrown.
Hold on a second tiger....I want to make this clear so I don't get mis-quoted...I did not in anyway state that other products throw codes...all I am reinforcing here is Split Second right out of the bat did things right in being modest in their power goals, by not going crazy with the boost...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #19
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Good point. I know that I did just see a thread about the other product where someone had turned it up and it threw a code.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #20
mynew135
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hold on a second tiger....I want to make this clear so I don't get mis-quoted...I did not in anyway state that other products throw codes...all I am reinforcing here is Split Second right out of the bat did things right in being modest in their power goals, by not going crazy with the boost...
Sorry Cougar. I replied to the wrong quote. I meant to quote Blackjack's quote about "the other company" throwing codes. To my knowledge, it's when it is turned up past the default mode. I was in no way trying to infer that you said the other company throws codes.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 12:40 PM   #21
vmcllc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sorry Cougar. I replied to the wrong quote. I meant to quote Blackjack's quote about "the other company" throwing codes. To my knowledge, it's when it is turned up past the default mode. I was in no way trying to infer that you said the other company throws codes.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #22
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, Bear Cubs, it was I that said they saw a thread about the other product throwing a code

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0