BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-19-2011, 04:54 AM   #485
oman135
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

i contacted member ar design but he didnt not replay yet !
      02-19-2011, 05:00 AM   #486
oman135
Major
Oman
Rep

bryce if u had choose to buy 1 of these exhausts which 1 u will buy ?
1- cp-e cat-back ( axle + mid)
2- Mesiterchaft GT axle back
the price is very similar
      02-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #487
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman135 View Post
bryce if u had choose to buy 1 of these exhausts which 1 u will buy ?
1- cp-e cat-back ( axle + mid)
2- Mesiterchaft GT axle back
the price is very similar
well, the cp-e is a catback, so you'd be getting more for your money. plus, i think it'd provide higher power gains than the axle back from meisterchaft
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #488
oman135
Major
Oman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
well, the cp-e is a catback, so you'd be getting more for your money. plus, i think it'd provide higher power gains than the axle back from meisterchaft
yap thats right (y)
unfortunately no 1 replayed from cp-e ! mike @ n54 tuning said that it might not fit the n55. if not then am getting berk mids + AA axle
      02-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #489
oman135
Major
Oman
Rep

any1 installed Maddad street axle back on the N55 ?
I think it will fit right ?
      02-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #490
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

Anyone have a link with dyno sheets of a stock N54?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #491
OneThreeFive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impervious View Post
A good place to start is Cobb's dyno page since they currently only support N54 and the stage 1 targets a stock car. http://www.accessecu.com/dyno/

Also, here is a link to the search results for thread titles with "stock dyno" http://www.1addicts.com/forums/searc...rchid=15708362
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #492
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

Im considering swapping out my stock midpipes. I have 3" catless dp's in the mail, and i was wondering how much of a bottleneck the stock midpipes would be. also, would it be better to run dual 2.5" mids, or a single 3"? 2.5's would flow better, but they would also weigh more. 3's would probably be cheaper, but have less clearance. would it be better to run an x-pipe in the mids if i went 2.5?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #493
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
Im considering swapping out my stock midpipes. I have 3" catless dp's in the mail, and i was wondering how much of a bottleneck the stock midpipes would be. also, would it be better to run dual 2.5" mids, or a single 3"? 2.5's would flow better, but they would also weigh more. 3's would probably be cheaper, but have less clearance. would it be better to run an x-pipe in the mids if i went 2.5?

thanks!
downpipes are the main restriction in the stock exhaust. catless midpipes will add slightly more power, however. i preferred the stock exhaust w/ 3" catless dp's when i had a 135i. the sound, performance, and power levels were more than agreeable in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #494
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impervious View Post
Click on the last link in my sig and find the post with a dynosheet for stock N54 in my 135.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 12:14 AM   #495
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Bryce, I see nobody has fed you any questions in almost 2 weeks which is just wrong, lol. Anyway, I have the BMW performance exhaust on my N54 135i which I love as the sound is great throughout the rev range. Planning to do a catless downpipe, and wonder which you would recommend. Does using one that is not thermal coated result in a extra heat transfer into the passenger compartment? I think I heard that but not tech savvy enough to know whether or not it's true. Also, what would be possible downsides and how would one avoid them, for example, preventing the throwing of codes, with catless dps? I see where you mentioned using a BMS DPFix. What's that and how does it work? I think on my system, the 2 secondary cats were removed so the only set I have currently would be those in the downpipes. How much hp/tq gain could I expect with the catless dps you recommend? What can I expect from the sound? Super loud? Don't mind loud really as most of my driving is done at night when I leave the office late . I don't have any other power-mod plans for the moment except for the BMW PPK in a few months. Do you think there would be any issues with the catless dps? I'm thinking no but want to hear from an expert. BMW PS and Quaife LSD (the cheap one - mine's a step - left knee injury) are on their way in a few weeks. Thanks a mil for this thread Bryce and hope 2011 has been good to you so far. I know I've asked a lotta noobie and neo-p questions but bear with me. By the way, the scariest thing for me in reading the thread is the extra soot inside the car! Real concern?

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.

Last edited by Yogijet; 03-16-2011 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #496
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogijet View Post
Bryce, I see nobody has fed you any questions in almost 2 weeks which is just wrong, lol. Anyway, I have the BMW performance exhaust on my N54 135i which I love as the sound is great throughout the rev range. Planning to do a catless downpipe, and wonder which you would recommend. Does using one that is not thermal coated result in a extra heat transfer into the passenger compartment? I think I heard that but not tech savvy enough to know whether or not it's true. Also, what would be possible downsides and how would one avoid them, for example, preventing the throwing of codes, with catless dps? I see where you mentioned using a BMS DPFix. What's that and how does it work? I think on my system, the 2 secondary cats were removed so the only set I have currently would be those in the downpipes. How much hp/tq gain could I expect with the catless dps you recommend? What can I expect from the sound? Super loud? Don't mind loud really as most of my driving is done at night when I leave the office late . I don't have any other power-mod plans for the moment except for the BMW PPK in a few months. Do you think there would be any issues with the catless dps? I'm thinking no but want to hear from an expert. BMW PS and Quaife LSD (the cheap one - mine's a step - left knee injury) are on their way in a few weeks. Thanks a mil for this thread Bryce and 2011 has been good to you so far. I know I've asked a lotta noobie and neo-p questions but bear with me. By the way, the scariest thing for me in reading the thread is the extra soot inside the car! Real concern?
well, i ran AR design downpipes on my 135i. they fit really nicely, and they were thermal coated from jet-hot. after reading some detailed info about the difference between 2.5" and 3" downpipes, i don't think it's that necessary to pay 2-3 times more money for 3" downpipes. you're not going to lose more than 5-10 whp on 2.5" downpipes, and it might even be less of a difference than that. shiv w/ vishnu recently said it makes no difference if you run 2- 2.5" or 2- 3" downpipes, in the 400-500whp levels.

i like vk downpipes, if you can find a set, since they're no longer made. they're inexpensive, fit nicely, have a beefy construction (flanges, etc) so they're going to last. the bms downpipe fix gets hard-wired into the ecu subconnectors. it basically prevents the service engine light from coming on, because of the deleted cat convertors. with the procede and jb4, that's now integrated into the piggyback, so there's no need for the dpfix. if you're running the stock ecu, or a flash, you'll need the dpfix. i think cobb will eventually support code suppression, which will be essentially the same thing (you can pass emissions, no SES light, etc).

the noise level is higher with catless dp's, but not obtrussive at all. i loved the way they sounded with the stock exhaust. quiet during everyday driving, gurggle sounds on letting off the gas, the turbo swoosh was definitely more audible. it sounded beautiful in the upper rpm range, too....

if you're tuned, expect upwards of 30+ whp/tq. the great thing about downpipes is that you can run significantly more boost, safely, so the potential for more power is there. procede map 2 and jb3/4 higher maps are possible with the catless downpipes. the bmw ppk should work fine with dp's, but you'll get much more bang for the buck with a procede, jb4, or cobb tune. no extra soot because of catless dp's, it's barely noticeable if you stand behind the car with the engine running. you may have to clean your exhaust tips a little more often, that's about it
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #497
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
well, i ran AR design downpipes on my 135i. they fit really nicely, and they were thermal coated from jet-hot. after reading some detailed info about the difference between 2.5" and 3" downpipes, i don't think it's that necessary to pay 2-3 times more money for 3" downpipes. you're not going to lose more than 5-10 whp on 2.5" downpipes, and it might even be less of a difference than that. shiv w/ vishnu recently said it makes no difference if you run 2- 2.5" or 2- 3" downpipes, in the 400-500whp levels.

i like vk downpipes, if you can find a set, since they're no longer made. they're inexpensive, fit nicely, have a beefy construction (flanges, etc) so they're going to last. the bms downpipe fix gets hard-wired into the ecu subconnectors. it basically prevents the service engine light from coming on, because of the deleted cat convertors. with the procede and jb4, that's now integrated into the piggyback, so there's no need for the dpfix. if you're running the stock ecu, or a flash, you'll need the dpfix. i think cobb will eventually support code suppression, which will be essentially the same thing (you can pass emissions, no SES light, etc).

the noise level is higher with catless dp's, but not obtrussive at all. i loved the way they sounded with the stock exhaust. quiet during everyday driving, gurggle sounds on letting off the gas, the turbo swoosh was definitely more audible. it sounded beautiful in the upper rpm range, too....

if you're tuned, expect upwards of 30+ whp/tq. the great thing about downpipes is that you can run significantly more boost, safely, so the potential for more power is there. procede map 2 and jb3/4 higher maps are possible with the catless downpipes. the bmw ppk should work fine with dp's, but you'll get much more bang for the buck with a procede, jb4, or cobb tune. no extra soot because of catless dp's, it's barely noticeable if you stand behind the car with the engine running. you may have to clean your exhaust tips a little more often, that's about it
Purrfect! Thanks Bryce.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #498
onesick
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135cic

As someone who previously owned a VW GTI 1.8T.... I was familiar with the order process of modifications. You would usually start out with the boost gauge, diverter valve, intake, J valve, turboback exhaust, etc... I got my 135i about a year ago, and I've gotten a couple cosmetic mods... but I'm starting to get the itch to do engine mods. For someone starting out what would you recommend as the top 5 engine mods to start out with.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #499
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesick View Post
As someone who previously owned a VW GTI 1.8T.... I was familiar with the order process of modifications. You would usually start out with the boost gauge, diverter valve, intake, J valve, turboback exhaust, etc... I got my 135i about a year ago, and I've gotten a couple cosmetic mods... but I'm starting to get the itch to do engine mods. For someone starting out what would you recommend as the top 5 engine mods to start out with.
in my opinion, it's simple: 3 basic parts, around 400whp/wtq:

*upgraded FMIC
*catless downpipes
*tune (vishnu or cobb preferrably, they're safer and offer more complete engine tuning)

exhausts and intakes don't necessarily have to be added to get that power level. they also add significantly higher engine/exhaust noise, so if you prefer a sleeper that can murder most cars on the road, stick with the above three parts. intakes can lower the wastegate duty cycle, but at the expense of throttle response. exhausts can free up maybe 10-15 more whp, but the stock downpipes are the main restriction.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #500
onesick
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135cic

Quote:
in my opinion, it's simple: 3 basic parts, around 400whp/wtq:

*upgraded FMIC
*catless downpipes
*tune (vishnu or cobb preferrably, they're safer and offer more complete engine tuning)

exhausts and intakes don't necessarily have to be added to get that power level. they also add significantly higher engine/exhaust noise, so if you prefer a sleeper that can murder most cars on the road, stick with the above three parts. intakes can lower the wastegate duty cycle, but at the expense of throttle response. exhausts can free up maybe 10-15 more whp, but the stock downpipes are the main restriction.
Thanks, man. Definitely appreciate it, as when I was starting with my VW... I knew absolutely nothing and gained a ton of knowledge by going on forums and doing research on different products and people's experiences with them.

When I first checked into tunes about a year ago before I got the car.... I read that the JB tune was one of the more aggressive tunes. I see that the Cobb tune is fairly newer? I'm not that familiar with Vishnu and Cobb. I just know that they were popular manufacturers in the WRX/EVO community. How do they compare to the JB tune?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #501
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
1. Tune
2. Downpipes
3. Methanol kit

Click on the link in my sig for details of my project with dynosheets.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #502
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, man. Definitely appreciate it, as when I was starting with my VW... I knew absolutely nothing and gained a ton of knowledge by going on forums and doing research on different products and people's experiences with them.

When I first checked into tunes about a year ago before I got the car.... I read that the JB tune was one of the more aggressive tunes. I see that the Cobb tune is fairly newer? I'm not that familiar with Vishnu and Cobb. I just know that they were popular manufacturers in the WRX/EVO community. How do they compare to the JB tune?
the juicebox is pretty aggressive and offers no timing control. they just came out with a lego-block CPS add-on to the JB4, since people were realizing how inconsistant the jb4 was in regards to timing.

cobb is the easiest to install/uninstall and it's pretty awesome for just stage I maps so far. when stage II maps and custom tune ability are released, it could be ridiculous. vishnu procede is the best piggyback, it has features like traction control and wastegate compensation, plus a naturally aspirated mode for better gas mileage.

i've run the jb3, jb4, and procede and there's really no comparrisson, procede with 1-21 maps or newer.

i want to try the cobb out, but i'm going to make sure they release things like the downpipe fix, wastegate control, etc first

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #503
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
1. Tune
2. Downpipes
3. Methanol kit

Click on the link in my sig for details of my project with dynosheets.
i'd personally want an intercooler rather than meth; far less maintenance involved and it's more consistant. meth is great, don't get me wrong, it's just less reliable than a bolt-on front mount
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #504
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

Quote:
i'd personally want an intercooler rather than meth; far less maintenance involved and it's more consistant. meth is great, don't get me wrong, it's just less reliable than a bolt-on front mount
x2. i prefer an always mod over a sometimes mod.

i also like my teeth, so meth is a no-go for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #505
onefast1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Off topic

Hey bryce,

Thanks for all the valuable insight on n54 engine tuning... What car are you driving now? If you don't mind me asking, why the switch from the 135i?
COBB E30 | BMS DCI | BMS Charge Pipe | BMS CDV | BMS Clutch Stop | BMS OCC | BMS Low Temp Thermostat | BMS Angel Eyes | RB PCV Valve | Berk Street Exhaust | VRSF DP's | VRSF FMIC | BMW Performance Rotors Front/Back | BMW Performance SSK | Redline Fluids
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 03:03 AM   #506
matt
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: munichs finest

Does the performance exhaust from the n54 fit on the n55?