BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
Algol
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Power steering fluid overflow during track conditions?

Im not exactly if it IS the power steering resivour but at road atlanta in June I got informed the track officials thought I had smoke coming from my car. I pop the hood and sure enough ive got fluid on the drivers side of the engine bay.

The culprit is the resivour on the drivers side toward the headlight... it has a label on it that reads 'CHP 11?. I check the level and its quite high but when the car cools down it gets pretty low. I THINK it might be the power steering resivour but could it be boiling over? Didnt experience any problems with handling on the track and ive got no warnings. This problem only occurs on the track after four or so laps and does not reappear on the street. I thought it might be overfilled from the factory but the level gets pretty low when cold.

Anyone else experiencing something like this?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Oakleyguy
Resident Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Land Cruiser

Garage List
2014 Toyota URJ200  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
2005 Toyota UZJ100  [0.00]
From what I understand, a few people have experienced the same issue with the e92 M3s. I take it that the Power steering cooler is unable to keep up the amount of heat generated during hard track sessions. Did you experience any change of feel in the steering itself?

If so, you might start researching into an upgraded Powersteering fluid cooler, if available.

Goodluck
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshoe View Post
Im not exactly if it IS the power steering resivour but at road atlanta in June I got informed the track officials thought I had smoke coming from my car. I pop the hood and sure enough ive got fluid on the drivers side of the engine bay.

The culprit is the resivour on the drivers side toward the headlight... it has a label on it that reads 'CHP 11?. I check the level and its quite high but when the car cools down it gets pretty low. I THINK it might be the power steering resivour but could it be boiling over? Didnt experience any problems with handling on the track and ive got no warnings. This problem only occurs on the track after four or so laps and does not reappear on the street. I thought it might be overfilled from the factory but the level gets pretty low when cold.

Anyone else experiencing something like this?
I had something similar at Sebring on a very hot day, but not as serious as you. After the 2nd session I popped the hood and noticed there was liquid residue around the engine, originating from the power steering fluid cap. My buddy with an E92 M3 had a lot more spilled all over his engine so it does seem to be a problem. Mine wasn't smoking or anything so I haven't done anything to try and fix it yet. My next track weekend at Homestead didn't have any problems with it, though...

Let me know if you find a solution because I'm not sure if it's an isolated incident or a real problem. I haven't seen anything about it from some of the 135i racers on the forum.
      07-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
pkcormier
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have the same problem when I track my car. Not a big deal. I take a paper towel and a rubber band and wrap the cap. The paper towel absorbs the liquid and prevents the splatter.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
Algol
Private
Rep

I honestly cant remember if I felt a change in steering behavior-- im usually pretty good at noticing changes of behavior in my cars but this was my first track day. I probably wasnt paying enough attention or the difference was too minute for me to notice. I wasnt aware our cars had power steering coolers... if we do, where is it located?

There is a pretty good amount that leaks during each session I didnt notice it at the beginning of the day but as it got hotter outside the leaking did get worse. Do higher temp power steering fluids exist like brake fluids ?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
Raflekt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i fully loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorcherjf View Post
I had something similar at Sebring on a very hot day, but not as serious as you. After the 2nd session I popped the hood and noticed there was liquid residue around the engine, originating from the power steering fluid cap. My buddy with an E92 M3 had a lot more spilled all over his engine so it does seem to be a problem. Mine wasn't smoking or anything so I haven't done anything to try and fix it yet. My next track weekend at Homestead didn't have any problems with it, though...

Let me know if you find a solution because I'm not sure if it's an isolated incident or a real problem. I haven't seen anything about it from some of the 135i racers on the forum.
I got the same issue , but I didnt feel any change in the steering behaviour
      07-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
Wolfpack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everything in my garage

Garage List
Pretty common with all tracked BMW's. I have experienced it for better than 10 years on all cars I and friends have driven hard. No issues other than a bit of clean up every so often. Just check the level on occation and you will be fine.
      07-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Pretty common with all tracked BMW's. I have experienced it for better than 10 years on all cars I and friends have driven hard. No issues other than a bit of clean up every so often. Just check the level on occation and you will be fine.
+1

just clean up after each break, and check levels after each session.

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

We've never had that issue before. We've raced for long periods of time in 100+ weather. Factory power steer fluid. Never touched it.

Are you guys racing on tight tracks where you would be at full lock on the steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 07:18 AM   #10
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution Racewerks View Post
We've never had that issue before. We've raced for long periods of time in 100+ weather. Factory power steer fluid. Never touched it.

Are you guys racing on tight tracks where you would be at full lock on the steering wheel?
yes. It is even more prevalent in Autox competitions where there are many full turn quick turns in a small period of time.

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #11
Algol
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution Racewerks View Post

I was at Road Atlanta and experienced this issue... I wouldnt call that track 'tight'.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #12
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I've had it happen on most BMWs I've autoxed and tracked (NHMS, Watkins Glen, Mt Tremblant, etc.). It's never enough to affect steering though.. Just a little messy.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #13
Addict...Nah Im A Junkie!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, 98 M rdstr

Yeah, happened at an HPDE at poconos yesterday.
      07-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #14
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

How much does it overflow? Reservoir is right in front of the driver's side wheel. If enough overflowed, it might be a problem if it got on the tire.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #15
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

It's nothing major, just little spits of fluid.. enough to make it look a little messy and cause you to think "What am I leaking?".
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #16
Algol
Private
Rep

Same here its not overfilled as the level gets low when its cooled down but very high right after a session.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 02:59 PM   #17
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Took a look at our car just in case I was mistaken. No fluid. Just have a thin layer of oil everywhere in the engine bay(don't ask).

Maybe a cooler for the power steering. Won't be difficult to do. Just tap into the low pressure side. Most OEM cars just have a metal line running across the front. I've never bothered to look where it's at on the 135i. Never had a problem nor did it get in the way of anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
It's nothing major, just little spits of fluid.. enough to make it look a little messy and cause you to think "What am I leaking?".
Appreciate 0