BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
kc_skyrider
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M-Sport

Drift???

Alright I know there are probably plenty people out there that feel that dift is a fad, or a JDM sport that is below a well tuned euro car. However there is one detail that is often over looked. It's fun! When I was in highschool I used to play around alot in my Fiero. And it did pretty good. Now I have a more powerful car with a good balance front engine RWD. And my friend just bought a pad for drift and autocross.

I don't see many (or any) people sliding the 1er and I was wondering if there was some experience or advice for setting it up, and tips for me. I have the power part taken care of with a JB3 Meth intercooler intake and DP's I'm using Bilstein PSS10 coilovers. I know I want to max out the stiffness of the rear while fine tuning the front. I'm going to start with my runflats since they're disposable. I hear it's easy to swing the rear if you have a sway bar on the just the back but is it controllable?

Any thoughts opinions or critisim are all welcome.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

The car as it sits, is very driftable. Start practicing and as your skill develops, you will grow needs for specific settings or modifications. Other wise, one of the first things I would do is swap in a plane old run of the mill LSD.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 02:04 AM   #3
kc_skyrider
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali@Jlevi SW View Post
The car as it sits, is very driftable. Start practicing and as your skill develops, you will grow needs for specific settings or modifications. Other wise, one of the first things I would do is swap in a plane old run of the mill LSD.
Yeah I definatly forgot to add that part. I am shopping around for an LSD right now. The car definatly feels controllable in the skid. My only complaint is you don't feel the rear lose grip till it's pretty far out there. Cant wait to see how it feels once my suspension is complete.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
J Tyler
My ride: bimmergirl84
United_States
Rep
Drives: For free.

No need for an LSD. All you need is a well set-up suspension.

(watch the last ~1 minute of that one)

^That is all with an open diff.

Get KW V2 or V3 + camber plates + non-staggered wheels/tires + (overkill) rear sway bar and you are set.

$.02
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 03:36 AM   #5
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

Dude, that drift you hit in the end of the vid chasing miata is awesome! The miata guy can sure drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
J Tyler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBluey View Post
Dude, that drift you hit in the end of the vid chasing miata is awesome! The miata guy can sure drive.
Lol. That's me dude. "Miata guy" was in the passenger seat.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #7
kc_skyrider
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Well done. Non staggered.. I have a bilstein PSS10 coilover set up and I think I can fit a 245 up front. anyone out there know if this will rub or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 01:13 AM   #8
J Tyler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_skyrider View Post
Well done. Non staggered.. I have a bilstein PSS10 coilover set up and I think I can fit a 245 up front. anyone out there know if this will rub or not.
Depends on the offset.... we run 255 no problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
kc_skyrider
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tyler View Post
Depends on the offset.... we run 255 no problem.
Seems I can't fit the stock rears on the stock front wheels. Oh well, what offset do you need to fit a 255 on the front end? and do you have the front end wide body? PS if that berk 1er ever makes it to germany let me know I'd pay to ride shotgun on any track and gain from a ittle of you experience in driving and with this platform. (if you still have an extra seat)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 05:13 AM   #10
NTTY
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: G30 M550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tyler View Post
No need for an LSD. All you need is a well set-up suspension.

(watch the last ~1 minute of that one)

^That is all with an open diff.

Get KW V2 or V3 + camber plates + non-staggered wheels/tires + (overkill) rear sway bar and you are set.

$.02
Hi Jeff,

The 135 is supposed to have an e-LSD which I failed to use, I've never been able to maintain a constant angle, I was always either losing speed or spining too much. I don't know how this e-diff works (if there's a treshold for instance) but I felt like it was not operating. Or may be I should have had to go faster, I don't know.
The below video convinced my to go for the Quaife LSD:

Now that the Quaife is installed, it's not raining and I did not have time and possibility to test it for a proper and decent drift. But I can already feel a big difference with the Quaife (grip has been dramatically improved). So I expect to be able to do what is shown on this video, but might have to wait snow to do it "safely", at a speed a bit more reasonnable for me

Cheers
      08-28-2009, 10:37 PM   #11
driftdriven
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

That is absolutely FANTASTIC. Wish I could afford one. What is the cost of the labour to install?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2009, 01:34 AM   #12
NTTY
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: G30 M550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftdriven View Post
That is absolutely FANTASTIC. Wish I could afford one. What is the cost of the labour to install?
Hi,

Labour depends if the diff is welded or bolted. On auto trans it is bolted. On manual trans you need to verify with the seller.
Mine is an auto trans, I didn't receive the bill yet, but my mechanic told me it was easy to install, just had to do some adjustments to align the Quaife. I'll tell you once I know.
For the welded diff, several shop offer a complete final drive shift.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ghlight=Quaife

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ghlight=Quaife

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ghlight=quaife

I got mine from UK: http://www.birdsauto.com/

Cheers
      09-05-2009, 06:20 AM   #13
kc_skyrider
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Nicely done. However I'm becoming pretty confused about how this E-LSD works and how my car might for some reason be different. I've read post after post of people stating in a burnout their car will leave one skid for 2-3meters then switch tires and spin the opposite on for the same distance. My car has never done this. I just got new tires so I'm punishing the runflats. And every time I spin tires I have two equal and distinctive lines side by side. Why is this? PS please let me know about your LSD once you can test and whether you have a clutch type or helixical.
Appreciate 0