BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AR M4 Comp Xdrive

Trade in for Euro Delivery

As much as I love my current 135i, a recent rear-end collision has prompted me to investigate getting into a new 1er. I'm very interested in picking up my new car in Munich, but I am getting conflicting information from various CAs. Exhaustive searches on this site have also been unsuccessful, so I'm asking this question to this valuable resource.

If I choose to do European delivery, can I keep my current 1er until my new 135i makes it here to my dealer in the States or do I have to give up my current car when I sign the paperwork two weeks before I head over to Germany to do the Euro delivery?

Any info, advice, or personal experience would be most appreciated.
      01-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #2
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Wouldn't that be something you'd negotiate with your dealer when you made the deal?
      01-15-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
+ 1 and I'm guess they would say you can't go over XX miles, if so you trade in value will go down by XX

just at thought
      01-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

When you do ED you must pay (in full) for the car before you can pick it up in Munich. Does not matter if its a cash deal or finance/loan or a lease.

Trade in qoutes are normally only good for 30 days at max. I would talk to your dealer and see what they can do for you. Maybe tey can give you a loaner until your car arrives. But I doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
When you do ED you must pay (in full) for the car before you can pick it up in Munich. Does not matter if its a cash deal or finance/loan or a lease.

Trade in qoutes are normally only good for 30 days at max. I would talk to your dealer and see what they can do for you. Maybe tey can give you a loaner until your car arrives. But I doubt it.
I feared as much was true. Guess it would've helped if the CAs at my dealer could all get on the same page. It is too bad I just have the one car. Having been to the Weld and having seen others taking delivery makes this news sting just that much more. Thanks for the info though. Also would have been nice to save a few bucks in the process.
      01-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

You would trade it in when you signed the docs (about 10 days before the ED), Keep the car and sell it private party or to carmax when you get back. Do you owe less than it's worth right now?

Source: I do a lot of european delivery sales.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Generally you negotiate the sale such that you give them the trade-in at "payoff"; that is the time you sign the final paperwork, finalize the loan/lease and so on. That's about a week before you take delivery, though some CA's will try to tell you it's supposed to be a month or even two weeks. I signed mine a week in advance, no issues.

As for what you do in the meantime... well that's going to depend on your dealer. Some will negotiate a "loaner" rate such that your car can be "rented" back to you at a set rate for a set number of miles for the duration of the wait. I wouldn't recommend that though as it gets sticky. Some dealers might offer to give a trade-in offer that'll be good on the day you take delivery, but be aware that you're putting them in the drivers seat of the deal in that case. It means you're going to get stuffed on the trade.

My advice would be (if you have the option) of buying the new car and selling your car private party. Alternatively do what a friend of mine did; sold his car private party right at the same time he initiated the ED... he actually took the day he sold his car as the "trigger" to go place the order. Then he trawled Craigslist for a couple of days (and called me for rides) to grab a rather beat up but functional pickup truck for $1000. He ended up with an older but decent extended cab 4WD truck that he then drove all the way up until he took delivery of his 335D.

He doesn't much like the truck, and it's got some rust... but now that he's got it he finds that it's nice to have around for hauling, and he was able to park his 335D during the snow and drive his truck because he really didn't care if it wrecked. He's still driving it but will probably break the D out of storage real soon to drive it since the snow's melting. If you've got an extra parking space, I highly recommend this method. Also, the truck is cheap as chips to insure and is dead easy to find parts for. Gas mileage isn't so good, but it runs the cheap stuff

My solution was to own a motorbike... problem solved. At least so long as I didn't mind getting wet occasionally
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicker View Post
You would trade it in when you signed the docs (about 10 days before the ED), Keep the car and sell it private party or to carmax when you get back. Do you owe less than it's worth right now?

Source: I do a lot of european delivery sales.
I owe about 18.5K and according to my dealer's appraisal my car is worth 20K.

I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle of picking up a cheap beater for the time I'd be without my bimmer. It is an idea though and it sure couldn't hurt to see what Carmax would give me for my current riide.
      01-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #9
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjet04 View Post

I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle of picking up a cheap beater for the time I'd be without my bimmer. It is an idea though and it sure couldn't hurt to see what Carmax would give me for my current riide.
In your situation as long as you can get credit approval without having the terminate your current account, I would keep your car until your new cat hits the US. Try carmax or private party, unloading it for 20k shouldn't be too tough.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
1Fasst1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, Jet Black 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjet04 View Post

Just checked the Carmax site. The cheapest price I seen was 28,000 for an 08 135. Surely your car is worth more than 20K.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep

His car has been in a wreck so that will hurt the value quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
1Fasst1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, Jet Black 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicker View Post
His car has been in a wreck so that will hurt the value quite a bit.
It would help alot if I learned to read. lol
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I did get rear-ended about a month ago. Surprisingly my dealer is only dinging me a grand for the accident on my Carfax (and another $1200 for tires of course). I guess they are doing that since they are already trying to lowball me on the trade value. I only have around 35,000 miles on it after three years of ownership.

Sounds like I definitely need to swing by Carmax and see what they have to say. Even if I decide it is too much of a pain to do the Euro delivery I can probably get a better deal on my trade.