BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-21-2012, 03:28 AM   #1
xlr871
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 1M

1m tyre puncture - sensor fault?

hi guys, been running in my new AW 1m and just this morning, i had a tyre puncture warning on the dash and checked out my tyres. It could not see any visible leak or nails so i called BMW service in case there is some leak of sorts. After an hour wait, guys showed up and used the gauge and guess what, nope the tyre pressure are spot on, no leaks or puncture and they went on to reset my TPM.

Since these are not rft, has any ideas what the issue is? Or just a sensitive read?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Had the same a number of months back, tavelling along the motorway when all of a sudden the indicator came up at the top of the sat nav screen saying slow down tyre puncture, I was unable to stop right then and there sop slowed down but could feel no difference int he way the car drive, switched the screen to the tyre monitor and it showed all 4 tyres, pulled over, checked the pressure allround and all within the range I had set them to last time I had gave them a top up, reset the monitor and it hasn't happened since..... Just a sensor fart!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
PJI
Rep

I personally think that the tyre sensors are a complete waste of time and wouldn't ever rely on them.

I have altered pressures significantly, changed wheels and the sensors never gone off. It has once warned me of a flat only for me to check and all pressures were correct.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

I experienced the same issue. Flat tire warning came up on screen. When I checked the screen, all 4 tires showed yellow.

I figured it was related to replacing a wheel 2 days earlier. Haven't reset or otherwise dealt with issue since I've been tied up and haven't been driving the car.

Seems like a common occurrence?
      08-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Anytime you check/set your tire pressures... you should reset the TPMS. That will give the TPMS computer a "target pressure" to monitor. Many people do not do this. I think the system gets confused and has a brain fart. That is why I always reset the TPMS when ever I check my tires. You should check the tire pressure every other or every third fuel fill up. It also would not hurt to check the oil level while your at it.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Probably a recent wheel replacement without resetting the tire pressure monitoring system, or a recent rough encounter with a speed bump or pothole. It sometimes takes some time before a warning pops up. With a flat tyre, response is immediate though (experienced both events in the past with my previous car, not yet with my 1M).

Reset the TPMS. If warning keeps repeating, get it checked. If it stays away, it was only false alarm.
      08-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Get the same message every week myself.

However, I believe I have a slow puncture in my passenger rear. Everytime message comes up I check the pressures and lo and behold its down.

Fill them back up, reset TPMS and all OK. To me, the system has been very useful!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
Get the same message every week myself.

However, I believe I have a slow puncture in my passenger rear. Everytime message comes up I check the pressures and lo and behold its down.

Fill them back up, reset TPMS and all OK. To me, the system has been very useful!
The 11mm nut that holds the valve stem to the wheel rim has been known to become loose. GENTLY tighten it up - snug. Its very low torque!! (~4Nm ?) I would also use some soapy water to check the valve stem area for any leaks. IF your tire still leaks air... you might bring your tire to a shop that can put part of the tire under water and check for leaks that way.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 02:54 AM   #9
xlr871
Singapore
Rep

thanks guys, sounds like a common problem, heading in for 1st oil change tomorrow, will get them to take another look and see what they say. cheers!
Appreciate 0