E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What is leatherette?

01-06-2006, 02:32 PM   #23
underDAWG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 on Stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelburke
Or tiny leather.
Damn, this is good one.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 02:47 PM   #24
Mauricio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, MT, SP

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Leatherette is more durable in my opinion. I had an E46 with leather and after my 3 year lease was up, there were many scratches on the leather. Especially one really large one on the backseat. But I'm also an architect/contractor and sometimes have to take my car to the construction sites and drive other people and construction workers sometimes. One day, one of the guys had a tool belt on and, what I'm assuming was a screwdriver of the hammers claw, scratched the leather when he got in or out of the car. So I guess it depends on your use of the car.

With the leatherette in my E90, I don't have to worry about it. In fact, the other day my girlfriend left a bottle of laundry detergent laying down on my back seat and it spilled out making a puddle overnight. When I noticed it in the morning, I just soaked it up with a paper towel and wiped it with a wet rag and it didn't even leave a mark. I'm sure if that was leather, it would have swelled because it's porous and who knows how it would look.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 04:59 PM   #25
DILLIGAF
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 SG 330i ZSP MT CA

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I too wish we had cloth seats as an option in NA. I've never had leather or fake leather before in my cars so I don't feel like I'd be missing it if i was able to have cloth seat. For me whether it be leather or fake leather I'm worried about it being either hot to the touch and just don't like sticking to my seats during the summer months. As a result of my only 2 options I ordered my E90 with leatherette. Yes, some people can't tell its not real leather and some just don't care, plus it would be easier to clean/maintain, won't crack or show wear, and it doesn't cost extra (I'd rather spend my money elsewhere).
      01-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #26
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLIGAF
I too wish we had cloth seats as an option in NA. I've never had leather or fake leather before in my cars so I don't feel like I'd be missing it if i was able to have cloth seat. For me whether it be leather or fake leather I'm worried about it being either hot to the touch and just don't like sticking to my seats during the summer months. As a result of my only 2 options I ordered my E90 with leatherette. Yes, some people can't tell its not real leather and some just don't care, plus it would be easier to clean/maintain, won't crack or show wear, and it doesn't cost extra (I'd rather spend my money elsewhere).
I agree, leather gets friggin hot in the summer, and frigid cold in the winter, but it's pretty good in repelling stains
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 05:53 PM   #27
underDAWG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 on Stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion
I agree, leather gets friggin hot in the summer, and frigid cold in the winter, but it's pretty good in repelling stains
2 X here. I take cloth seats anytime.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 06:23 PM   #28
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

Quote:
I too wish we had cloth seats as an option in NA.
This was an option on the E36 M3 when it was brought over to the US. Do you know how many people ordered it in '95 (the option was dropped in '96)?

Now, there is an exception for the M3 Lightweight of which there were 80 and they all came with cloth, but still... only 4 civilians ordered their M3s with cloth. Hence, it will never be available in the US again.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 06:35 PM   #29
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude007
When I went to the BMW dealership they showed me BMW with leather seats and told me that sides of the seats are leatherette. Not sure who is right
When you get leather, you get leather. There is no 'ette in the car. The entire seat is leather, as are the door panels and armrests. The leather is much better quality than most others I'm used to. Your salesman doesn't know much about his product.

To answer the original question, leatherette is obtained from the small animal cowette. The poor tiny bovines are slaughtered and their little leatherette skins are removed. Years ago, they used to use naugahide as a substitute for genuine leather. It wasn't until the poor little nauga was on the brink of extinction that they stopped using them. Perhaps a similar fate awaits the cowette.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 06:47 PM   #30
needashower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

Doesn't veal come from the cowette? I hope they do not become extinct as they serve the world in so many ways. Gotta go, time for dinner.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2006, 10:56 AM   #31
bmmunich
Rep
Drives: E91, Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
To answer the original question, leatherette is obtained from the small animal cowette. The poor tiny bovines are slaughtered and their little leatherette skins are removed. Years ago, they used to use naugahide as a substitute for genuine leather. It wasn't until the poor little nauga was on the brink of extinction that they stopped using them. Perhaps a similar fate awaits the cowette.
      01-07-2006, 08:21 PM   #32
spitfire6000
NJ NYC BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i Monaco/Beige

leatherette feels like leather, looks like leather, only difference is it doesnt wear and get used out like real leather does.

Non bmw owners would never notice the difference between a leatherette interior and real leather interior. However if you have seen both and sat in both, there is a slight difference.

Most say however, that the cheaper leatherette is preferable to real leather as the only maintenence it requires is a whipe every now and then from a wet rag.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2006, 08:31 PM   #33
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I prefer real leather and I can easily tell the difference.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2006, 12:34 AM   #34
bmmunich
Rep
Drives: E91, Black

Quote:
Is the 'vinyl' they use similar to what used to be standard on European cars or have they improved it since then? If it's the vinyl/leatherette that I remember then there's no way you could confuse the two.
      01-08-2006, 12:49 AM   #35
paullo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ThreeThreeFive

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I agree.

But, in BMW's defence, the leatherette in my cousin's e46 is pretty convincing. If you didn't own an e90 with real leather; it'd be hard to tell the difference.
      01-08-2006, 12:53 AM   #36
BMW0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Leatherette from my car.
Attached Images

"Freude am Fahren" = "Joy to Drive"
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2006, 04:57 AM   #37
lwongveros
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I also have leatherette in my E90 and on the day I went to pick up the car from the dealer my salesperson was going over the car with me and said "leather interior"... where upon I said, "uhhh, you mean Sensatec!" (that's the BMW product term used here at least in Spain for leatherette), he was touching it, examining it, smelling it, ran back to his office to check the factory order and came back saying, "you're right, it's Sensatec, wow, I really thought it was leather, I couldn't tell the difference!"

Funny coming from the BMW salesguy - anyways, I have a coworker who has the same car but with leather and you notice it has more wrinkles/folds. I am very happy with my leatherette/Sensatec.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2006, 09:39 AM   #38
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

I have leatherette in my old 325xi. People really couldn't tell the difference and after 3 years it looked as good as the day I bought it (with no more mainantance that a wipe down with a damp rag every once in a while). It really is a good product. The problem is it only comes in black or beige. If you want any of the other colors (grey, or brown) you need to go with leather.

As for the cloth seats, the biggest problem I had with them in my previous car before these 2 BMW as getting a static shock in the winter getting out of the car (cold dry air around here and sliding across fabric causes a good shock when you touch any gounded part of the car).

I got black leather in my new E90 since I wanted the rest of the premium pack features and then I had to get the leather.. If I could I would have gotten all of the PP features with leatherette instead.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2006, 09:56 AM   #39
Juve29
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 325i titanium silver spk

I have leatherette in my car. The difference I noticed was that the leather is softer to the touch and smells better. My prevoius car had leather...Honestly I think BMW did a pretty good job in making the leatherette look real, but it does not feel real. In Canada if you want leather you have to pay an extra $2500, which I dont think is worth it. With leather the stiching is nicer especially on the doors (there is stiching in the middle of the doors and in the middle of the center armrest)...Most people who come into my car think I have Leather.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2006, 10:11 AM   #40
needashower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

Leather vs. leatherette is a personal choice. Either is a good choice. If you are on the fence, I suggest getting the leather as its a pain to switch out later on if you change your mind. For me, power seats are more important than leather, especially if you carry passengers in the rear seats. $1,000 for power seats is a huge rip off.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2006, 10:11 AM   #41
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I want the M-sport alcantara/shadow blue cloth interior -- I'll wait for ledzep to identify what species that comes from...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2006, 11:12 AM   #42
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

You can tell the difference easily in the two. Its a tradeoff. You can go with leatherette because its cheaper and easier to maintain, but then again, it doesnt have the feel or comfort of the leather.

Personally, it wasnt even a choice for me. Leather it was. For what I paid for my car (and even the most stripped out 325i is not a cheap car in my mind), I wanted to get leather. I know its just me, but I dont understand those that get leatherette. Its a flippin BMW. not an 80's retro car
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2006, 03:37 PM   #43
epbimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: Black 325i

blue jeans and leatherette

Has anyone that has the beige leatherette had problems with stains from their jeans.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2006, 08:32 PM   #44
jmatero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50

Garage List
There are some important differences between the two in terms of look and feel. When you slide into the seat with leatherette, it has a rubber-like grip... the leather is softer and you can slide on it a little easier. Also, there is a HUGE difference on the door panels. The Leatherette material on the door arm-rest is a hard rubber feel.. the leather is stitched and very soft and padded. Also on the door, there is a stitching/pleat that runs horizontally on the panel and again, it's padded and very soft. Both materials are very nice though and the leatherette definately has a damn realistic grain and is also stitched. It shouldn't be confused with K-Car vinyl.
Appreciate 0