E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Abrupt braking

07-19-2005, 09:51 AM   #45
roburado
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Passat, '09 Cayman S

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
Why the heck did they put this soft stop feature in?

Family History: Two E21 320i, One E28 535is, One E34 535i, One E34 540i
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 10:05 AM   #46
George Chronis
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i 2006

I'll chip in to this thread. I had similar issues with the soft stop when I first got the car. No slipping, but it certainly was no soft stop. I've been "trained" with a lot of cars and I couldn't get the E90 to stop the way I wanted it. At 1200 miles now, I eventually can get it to stop the way I want most of the time. Don't know if I got trained on this car as well or if it just was a matter of breaking it in. I sure did have a hell of a time to get it to do it, though, which did not happen with any of my previous cars (And I've driven a LOT of different cars).
      07-19-2005, 11:06 AM   #47
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimm Me Up
My mourning coffee spilled once at a normal traffic light stop...now, I must drink half a cup before putting it in the car.
Who were you mourning when you were drinking your coffee?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 11:18 AM   #48
Bimmer_2
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Is the soft-stop an issue with the automatic transmission only or does it apply to manual as well?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 11:47 AM   #49
CC 330i
Captain
Rep

Guys, when this happens, are you in the "full auto" mode of Steptronic, or in the "steptronic" mode where you can shift manually?

When I test drove a steptronic car, I didn't notice the problem, but maybe it has to do with an overly "aggressive" torque converter in the car, and may be related to steptronic mode. If it isn't happening to everyone, they should be able to fix it.

If it only happens in steptronic "manual" mode, it might have to do with the system learning your technique. It may try to hold first gear too aggressively when stopping, and be pushing against the brakes. (Like someone leaving a MT car in 1st when coming to a stop). This may be contributing to the "jerky" feeling as the torque converter finally is overcome by the power of the brakes and releases.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 11:50 AM   #50
CC 330i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC 330i
Who were you mourning when you were drinking your coffee?
Or did you go to Alonso Mourning's coffee shop?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 12:03 PM   #51
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I noticed in my 325i that when i come to a stop, it always does a little jerk. Is this the same situation that is happening or is the poster's more severe? After i read this thread i started to notice it more and now it kinda drives me crazy! I stop,but its never just a rolling smooth stop. It stops but then jerks, almost as if im stopping abruptly.....
      07-19-2005, 12:07 PM   #52
George Chronis
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i 2006

Quote:
Guys, when this happens, are you in the "full auto" mode of Steptronic, or in the "steptronic" mode where you can shift manually?

When I test drove a steptronic car, I didn't notice the problem, but maybe it has to do with an overly "aggressive" torque converter in the car, and may be related to steptronic mode. If it isn't happening to everyone, they should be able to fix it.

If it only happens in steptronic "manual" mode, it might have to do with the system learning your technique. It may try to hold first gear too aggressively when stopping, and be pushing against the brakes. (Like someone leaving a MT car in 1st when coming to a stop). This may be contributing to the "jerky" feeling as the torque converter finally is overcome by the power of the brakes and releases.
Full auto.
      07-19-2005, 04:39 PM   #53
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado
This is terrible! I'm surprised you're still driving this car. I would take it to the dealer and tell them it's unsafe to drive, period. They should either give you a replacement car or a loaner until they find out how to fix the problem. It is possible that enough pressure might not bubble up to those who can fix it until they receive reports of actual rejected cars. Doing this doesn't mean you love the car any less; some tough love is needed sometimes
Yup...tough love...

The dealer offered me a 530i loaner, but I really didn't want to take up their loaners as they are limited and I have a lot of cars to drive at home.

I'm going to head down to the dealership in a little while to find out whatelse can be done.

-Chris
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 05:05 PM   #54
onesixeight
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_2
Is the soft-stop an issue with the automatic transmission only or does it apply to manual as well?
Soft-Stop is present is both automatic and manual cars, but you'll only feel the issues described in an automatic car because of the torque converter. In an manual, when you come to a full stop, and let up on the brake, the car won't move except if the car is on a foward slope.

Someone mentions an aggressive torque converter...I don't believe any torque converter even one of the strongest ones of the OEM market such as those on the AMG 65 engines are strong enough to move a car with you foot firmly on the brake pedal.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 05:10 PM   #55
onesixeight
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
I noticed in my 325i that when i come to a stop, it always does a little jerk. Is this the same situation that is happening or is the poster's more severe? After i read this thread i started to notice it more and now it kinda drives me crazy! I stop,but its never just a rolling smooth stop. It stops but then jerks, almost as if im stopping abruptly.....
Hi Bella...

Sorry to ruin your new car parade... Problems are the last thing you want to discover after signing a check for $35k.

That's very similar to what's happening in my car. My car will jerk once slipping forward with my foot planted on the brake pedal, then come to another complete stop, then while completely stopped, you can feel some funny brake things going on. Like someone pulled your handbrake and let go. This is even on the 2nd full stop. SO WIERD!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 05:16 PM   #56
onesixeight
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Hi CC330i...

It will happen is any mode, D, DS, M....This gearbox or at least the one I have is very smooth coming to a stop. It's the crazy brakes from hell that take over once you are stopped. If you drive the new 7sp gearboxes from MB, those downshift very hard when slowing to a stop. Even my 745Li downshifts to 1st gear when coming to a stop, and is a little jerky. A few complains and BMW corrected that problem with software. They corrected it the same day with software file interchange between Germany and my dealer. With the 3, the dealer says software can only be loaded via CD and not sent over the internet.

The jerky downshifts are okay since it's all taking place before I'm coming to a stop, but once I'm stopped...i want to be stationary! Not moving foward an inch or a foot...I want the car to stop at it's initial stopping place!!! Is that asking too much???
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 05:28 PM   #57
CC 330i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight
Hi CC330i...
The jerky downshifts are okay since it's all taking place before I'm coming to a stop, but once I'm stopped...i want to be stationary! Not moving foward an inch or a foot...I want the car to stop at it's initial stopping place!!! Is that asking too much???
Not at all. Sounds like a software or hardware issue with the new steptronic transmission. I don't think it is a brake problem at all. Soft stop is just trying to cope with the torque converted binding and it sounds like it is "panicing"and applies the brakes really hard to stop the car. It definitely sounds like a tranny issue.

Hope you all get it fixed soon and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 05:41 PM   #58
onesixeight
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Not at all. Sounds like a software or hardware issue with the new steptronic transmission. I don't think it is a brake problem at all. Soft stop is just trying to cope with the torque converted binding and it sounds like it is "panicing"and applies the brakes really hard to stop the car. It definitely sounds like a tranny issue.

Hope you all get it fixed soon and keep us posted.
I presented to idea of a transmission issue to the shop forman and tech at my dealer, and they don't think it has anything to do with the transmission. When the car lurches, you can feel some funny thing going on in the brakes...Like a sticky feeling... If you've ever driven a E65 7 series, put your foot on the brake and release the electric e-brake, you'll feel this pop-in your foot as your release the service brake...that's what this car feels like.

I was lurking on roadfly.org and i noticed someone has noticed the problem too...BMW STEP UP AND FIX THIS!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2006, 10:56 AM   #59
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

What ever happened to this thread?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2006, 02:23 PM   #60
330m
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 330i

It only does it on autos.

Manual is perfect because the clutch is fully released before you stop. Perfect stops every time.

When I test drove a 330d Step I noticed it. But it only happend if I modulated the brake pedal (as for a conventional 'soft stop' without BMW 'soft stop'). If you brake like the majority, who don't even know what a soft stop is, then it didn't do it.

I think that when the car has stopped the 'soft stop' control puts the brakes back under manual control, corresponding to the brake pedal position. Those of you who are 'trying' to soft stop have lifted the brake yourselves by this point, so the brakes release a little after you have stopped, but the auto creep takes over and lurches the car forward due to insufficent brake force.

For those of you with step - Stop trying too hard. Brake like a dork and it will be fine.
      08-24-2006, 02:35 PM   #61
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Dont take this wrong, but what is it with Americans and drinking coffee in ones car ?
it's also eating, smoking, make-up, reading, cellphone and etc...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2006, 05:29 PM   #62
ex-poster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

Why BMW decided to put both "soft stop" (there's an oxymoron for ya) and "start assist" on the step models is totally beyond me.

One hint: they seem to be disabled when the hand brake light goes on, I've played with this a bit and it's a DREAM - soft stops and you can inch forward normally. The brakes themselves are fine, it's the idiotic features put on top of them that is ruining the experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2006, 10:06 PM   #63
Phila
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325xi

try turning off DSC / DTC and see if you still have the problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #64
Bomb617
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpine White 535i M-Sport

Any news?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 01:42 AM   #65
Bomb617
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpine White 535i M-Sport

Talking

I try to pull the handbrake just a bit (just barely the first click but not activiate the parking brake light on the dash) and it works just like all other BMW---smooth!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 05:06 PM   #66
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

I believe they fixed whatever problems there were on the new generation because my car has none of these problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0