BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
jmz135
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 MT E82

Garage List
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Just bought a 2011 135i - some issues

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my story

I was originally thrilled to be joining the BMW family but I've had some unfortunate events and am looking for advice from people who might know what my options are better than I do...

Background:
On Monday (5/12) I purchased (after 2 test drives) a certified pre-owned 2011 135i. It was a one owner lease return with 32k miles, DCT, fully loaded w/ sport pkg, premium pkg, convenicnce pkg, and harmon kardon pkg (everything except nav). I got it OTD for 32k.

The dealership was about 2 hours away from where I live and I drove it home Monday night with no issues. Then on Tuesday I noticed the DCT start to have some issues (didn't happen during the test drives). It was shifting extremely rough in 1st/2nd as well as weird jerking when going into Reverse. I noticed this a tiny bit during the test drive, but the other 135i i test drove did the same thing so I attributed it to the DCT quirks. That was before it seemed to get worse after driving it for the next day.

Anyway, Tuesday evening I'm driving it home from work and when I step on the gas peddle after being stopped at a red light, the car shudders, there is a loud clunk from the engine bay and I lose most power. The car was still running but behaving strangely and giving hardly any power when stepping on the gas. (I ended up figuring out it was in limp mode) after getting home. The SES light came on while driving home as well.

If I was closer to the dealership where I made the purchase I would have brought it back and complained to them, but I had to go to work so I brought it to my local BMW dealer Wednesday morning and they gave me a loaner after I told them what happened and they verified it was under warranty.

They then called me Wednesday night saying that an "intake boot" had come off and they were having trouble getting it to stay back on and would need to keep the car overnight. They also weren't sure if that was the extent of the issues. So here I am Thursday morning, going on the second day without the car I just purchased Monday night.

I have not contacted the original dealership yet, I was waiting to hear more on what was wrong with the car. I wasn't too worried when I purchased the car since it is certified and covered for the next 3.5years/68k miles, but this is makes me very nervous (not to mention irritated) that something has happened this soon after purchasing it. So much for the "160 pt check" or w/e the number is that they do on certified cars.

I'm obviously not overly satisfied with my $32,000 purchase so far, what I'm wondering is do I have any rights here? Is there anything I should be doing? I don't feel like I should have to deal with this right after purchasing...should I call up the original dealership and complain? Should I ask for something to be done?

Any and all help would be appreciated, I'm unsure how to proceed and don't want to do something that will have repercussions down the road.

Thanks,
Joe
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
E82135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 6MT

Dont u still have factory warranty? If not cpo warranty?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
jmz135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E82135i View Post
Dont u still have factory warranty? If not cpo warranty?
I have roughly 5 months left on the original 4 year warranty, as well as the additional 2yr/50k CPO warranty.

My concern isn't having to pay for what goes wrong, it's that if a dealership is selling a CPO, should they not be doing a full inspection and test drives to make sure there is nothing wrong with it?

What I'm worried about is if this is just the beginning and things continue to go wrong with the car. I realize I purchased used, but it isn't that old, last time I checked even german cars shouldn't have issues at 30k miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
E82135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz135 View Post
I have roughly 5 months left on the original 4 year warranty, as well as the additional 2yr/50k CPO warranty.

My concern isn't having to pay for what goes wrong, it's that if a dealership is selling a CPO, should they not be doing a full inspection and test drives to make sure there is nothing wrong with it?

What I'm worried about is if this is just the beginning and things continue to go wrong with the car. I realize I purchased used, but it isn't that old, last time I checked even german cars shouldn't have issues at 30k miles.
Oh sorry i missed understood. I had similar problem with mine. Month after buying a cpo, my vanos broke off and some little stuff. I demanded a re-inspection of everything and warranty on parts that are replaced. It didnt go too well but I have factory warranty till end of this year so I had to let it go. Sorry about your car but ask for another full inspection.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
1descending
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

The CPO inspection is not nearly as thorough as they would lead you to believe. It's basically: Does the car run? Do the accessories appear to work? Have the recalls and most recent oil change been done? What are the brake pads at? What's the tire tread? OK, put it on the lot.

Not sure its worth causing a fuss over. It's possible they missed something during their inspection, but it's also possible the problem just happened to pop up now -- as you mentioned, nothing bad happened on the test drive.

I bought mine CPO and it was back at the dealership 10 days later with a minor issue that they missed during the "inspection" and I haven't had problems since. So hopefully once this is sorted out, you won't have any more problems. I know the feeling though where you're wondering, "Is this just a one-off issue or a sign of things to come?"
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
jmz135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E82135i View Post
Oh sorry i missed understood. I had similar problem with mine. Month after buying a cpo, my vanos broke off and some little stuff. I demanded a re-inspection of everything and warranty on parts that are replaced. It didnt go too well but I have factory warranty till end of this year so I had to let it go. Sorry about your car but ask for another full inspection.
Sorry you have had issues also I actually just called the original dealership and told them what happened. They are going to be talking with the manager to see what can be done.

I'm going to let them suggest a plan of action first and see what they say. I'm a fairly pragmatic person, sometimes minor things can be missed in an inspection, but the car having a serious problem 24hrs after purchasing it? I think the dealership needs to somehow make up for that, I'm just not sure what to ask for/demand yet. I shouldn't have had to miss 3 hours of work to bring in a 2 day old "certified" car.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
jmz135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1descending View Post
The CPO inspection is not nearly as thorough as they would lead you to believe. It's basically: Does the car run? Do the accessories appear to work? What are the brake pads at? What's the tire tread? OK, put it on the lot.

Not sure its worth causing a fuss over. It's possible they missed something during their inspection, but it's also possible the problem just happened to pop up now -- as you mentioned, nothing bad happened on the test drive.

I bought mine CPO and it was back at the dealership 10 days later with a minor issue that they missed during the "inspection" and I haven't had problems since. So hopefully once this is sorted out, you won't have any more problems. I know the feeling though where you're wondering, "Is this just a one-off issue or a sign of things to come?"
Thanks for the response 1descending. I can't say I'm surprised about the inspection thoroughness. The reason I thought they might do a thorough job is because they are certifying it for another 2 years/50k miles. You would think they would want to ensure this is a good investment, because despite the hassle being on me, ultimately they are going to pay for everything that goes wrong.

If they come back to me with a very specific explanation of what went wrong and assure me that there shouldn't be any future ramifications I'm willing to let bygones be bygones and call it bad luck...but I can't help being concerned now that the lease owner beat the hell out of the car, without it being visible on the surface.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1descending View Post
The CPO inspection is not nearly as thorough as they would lead you to believe. It's basically: Does the car run? Do the accessories appear to work? Have the recalls and most recent oil change been done? What are the brake pads at? What's the tire tread? OK, put it on the lot.
^This...totally.

Quote:

Shit, mine's at the dealer right now for the DCT update that was never done. Mine's got 27K on it CPO.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #9
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

I would think a call to BMW of USA should be done. They like to keep tabs on their dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #10
vertebra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer
I would think a call to BMW of USA should be done. They like to keep tabs on their dealerships.
Not in my experience. Anyway, I too bought a CPO vert. I had a few trips to my dealer before it was all sorted out. All is fine now and I couldn't be happier.

Posted from 1addicts.com App for Android
      05-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #11
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 128i manual

Whoa, this sounds ALOT like a possible engine vanos breaking problem which BMW recently issued a recall for. Anybody else agree?!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

OP you should check your STATE laws on lemon by backs on a USED CAR. Since its a used car I think you will have little options - but it wouldn't hurt to do some research or call a lawyer.

Sounds to me you need to figure out what YOU want and soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #13
OrangeTea
Rep
Drives: 135is

If it makes you feel any better my 2013 brand new 135is has been at the dealer for last three days trying to fix a weird crack sound that it developed 3 month into the ownership.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #14
jmz135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertebra View Post
Not in my experience. Anyway, I too bought a CPO vert. I had a few trips to my dealer before it was all sorted out. All is fine now and I couldn't be happier.
I called the original dealership and explained what happened and basically said I was very unhappy that something is wrong with the car right after I buy it, and at the very least it tells me that they did not perform a thorough inspection of the car. They said someone from management is going to call me back later today after they contact the current dealership that is servicing it.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #15
jmz135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
OP you should check your STATE laws on lemon by backs on a USED CAR. Since its a used car I think you will have little options - but it wouldn't hurt to do some research or call a lawyer.

Sounds to me you need to figure out what YOU want and soon.
Honestly, if I had the option I would tell them to take back the car and give me my money back, I don't have personal confidence in the car's longevity after this happens on the 2nd day.

However, there are only a few states with strict lemon laws on used cars, and California (where I live and purchased) is not one of them. I'm trying to do some research to see if there is anything legally within my right.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz135 View Post
Honestly, if I had the option I would tell them to take back the car and give me my money back, I don't have personal confidence in the car's longevity after this happens on the 2nd day.

However, there are only a few states with strict lemon laws on used cars, and California (where I live and purchased) is not one of them. I'm trying to do some research to see if there is anything legally within my right.

Sometimes having a lawyer "talk" to the selling dealer might be enough motivation for them to "do something".
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #17
jmz135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Sometimes having a lawyer "talk" to the selling dealer might be enough motivation for them to "do something".
I'm may be looking into that option soon after I hear management's response. I've never had to hire a lawyer before and don't know how expensive they are or on what basis they charge.

My plan is to wait and hear what BMW has to say later today. If I don't like what they have to say I will call corporate. If I don't get anywhere with them I will look into getting a lawyer, or finding out whether legal counsel would get me anywhere.

Thanks for the advice Dackelone.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #18
jmz135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonly View Post
Whoa, this sounds ALOT like a possible engine vanos breaking problem which BMW recently issued a recall for. Anybody else agree?!
Weren't the recalls only for the N54?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #19
CGMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe Sport

I guess I dont see the issue. The car developed a problem (it is used...) and the dealer is taking care of it? If they cant fix it or it takes an obscene amount of time to fix, then I would be upset. If it was a brand new car and starting having issues immediately, then I would be upset. If you buy a used car and there are issues but the dealer is fixing it, then what is wrong? As I see it, you get a brand new loaner to put miles on while they fix your car..
Maybe the car was beat on a little bit before the previous owner turned it in? It was a leaser return so maybe it once had an aftermarket UICP and when the previous owner returned it to stock he missed something? I wouldnt get too worried right now and see if the dealer can fix it. Then, ask them exactly what happened and ask the new dealer to look over the car to make sure there is nothing else wrong. Everytime I take my BMW in, the dealer looks it over and gives me a little sheet saying whats going on with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 04:31 PM   #20
SAM135iAM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i DCT

Hey man, every car I have bought has ended up back in the shop after a few days of owning it. My 2011 DCT 135i had the charge pipe blow off after a week. Two weeks later it was back in for window regulator, then back in again three weeks later because that issue still wasn't fixed. Then it was in for battery recall, then it was in for rear strut tower. All those issues happened within the first six months of ownership. For the past year and a half I have had zero issues. I've only owned it for two years, but those first six months I was seriously considering getting rid of it. I don't know what the deal is with me and buying cars, but I always seem to have to work out kinks the first few months of ownership. Just be glad you still have warranty, I know I was when all that was going on. Like you I also live about two hours away from my dealer, so I know how bad and how much of a hassle making that drive is.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #21
1descending
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMike View Post
I guess I dont see the issue. The car developed a problem (it is used...) and the dealer is taking care of it? If they cant fix it or it takes an obscene amount of time to fix, then I would be upset. If it was a brand new car and starting having issues immediately, then I would be upset. If you buy a used car and there are issues but the dealer is fixing it, then what is wrong? As I see it, you get a brand new loaner to put miles on while they fix your car..
This. I don't see why getting a lawyer involved would be necessary at this point. Used cars are sold as-is and you got CPO (and it should still have factory bumper to bumper warranty) to protect yourself financially from a situation like this, so as long as they fix it they are holding up their end of the bargain.

I completely understand why you'd be unhappy about this but I think all this talk of lawyers and lemon laws is a massive overreaction at this point.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #22
my6er
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i Cashmere Convertible

'10 CPO 135 'vert

I purchased a CPO 2010 135 convertible with 17K on the clock two and a half years ago. I took the car home and the NEXT DAY, after pulling into my garage and shutting the car down, I heard a hmmmmmm coming from the dashboard. It sounded like something was not turning off. I took the car back to the selling dealer where they kept it overnight and then told me I would have to live with the buzzing noise-they couldn't find the source. After several conversations (some of them particularly loud) and my refusal to pick up the car the Service Manager approved replacing the radio head unit. Problem solved and I have had zero issues with the car since then.
Appreciate 0