BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
daMau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Changing halos = moisture in lamp. Worth risking?

Hey all -

So I have a set of GP Thunders, and after installing the first time, one of my headlamps never sealed back up and I would get constant moisture in the lamp. The adaptive headlights and one of the low beams eventually failed and I had to bring to it in for warranty (after returning to stock). It's all fixed now.

Question is now: do I reinstall the white halos again and risk the same issue? I'm really itching to get rid of the yellows again. I'm also worried my dealer will get a little crabby if they see the whites in there and put two and two together.

Thoughts? Strategies for installing to avoid this?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
kkrikkett
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135

You have to make sure back cover is in place it has two tabs on the bottom slides into and then they snap in place and seal. I know this because i got the cover on but missed the bottom tabs.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

If you do it correctly, the chance of getting moisture in your headlight is zero. If you think you can take another shot and seal everything up correctly, go for it!

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Jon.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i

Do you get moisture after driving in the rain? Or in any weather?

I'm pretty sure if you get both the tabs in place as said above, it will be totally fine. Maybe this time, try not to take the cover off completely, rather leave it hanging off the two tabs? That's what I did... hopefully no moisture anytime soon -knocks wood-
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

If they are completely sealed you'll obviously have to find a dry environment. Keep a humidistat in an air conditioned house and see what you can do, or wait for dry weather outside but that might take until mid winter depending on where you are.

I haven't had this car long enough to know its details, but my last cars had open headlights. There was a small rubber tube in them so they vented to the outside. Keeping them the same inside and out that way always kept them fog free. Is that not the case with the 1-series?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #6
daMau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
If they are completely sealed you'll obviously have to find a dry environment. Keep a humidistat in an air conditioned house and see what you can do, or wait for dry weather outside but that might take until mid winter depending on where you are.

I haven't had this car long enough to know its details, but my last cars had open headlights. There was a small rubber tube in them so they vented to the outside. Keeping them the same inside and out that way always kept them fog free. Is that not the case with the 1-series?
According to my SA this is also the case with the 1-series. He said the temperature and operation of the Xenons requires the assembly to be vented. So in theory, taking the cap off to change halos should have no affect. In my case, it invariably caused the assembly to become prone to moisture. Not really sure why though. And to those above, yes, the cap reinstalled correctly.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I swear, it seems like everyone who messes with their headlights eventually has this problem. And it seems like most of them get BMW to undo the damage they did to their own cars by making a warranty claim. Shady business.
      08-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
Jon.
First Lieutenant
Rep

This thread is making me worry about my recent installation haha. Just drove through heavy rain for an hour; hopefully no moisture got in @_@
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I swear, it seems like everyone who messes with their headlights eventually has this problem. And it seems like most of them get BMW to undo the damage they did to their own cars by making a warranty claim. Shady business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon. View Post
This thread is making me worry about my recent installation haha. Just drove through heavy rain for an hour; hopefully no moisture got in @_@
I know lots of people who change their lights out with no problems at all! You only really read about the horror stories on here because when you have a horror story.. well you just feel like sharing it

I've only gotten moisture in one headlight ONCE ever, and it was because I knowingly left the headlight cap not fully on, thinking it couldn't hurt, and it ended up raining and getting very moist overnight!

If you hook in the tabs right, the system is foolproof. It seals, and no excessive moisture gets in. The enclosure isn't vacuum sealed, so whatever the ambient humidity is at the plant is the ambient humidity in the headlight. I've changed out my bulbs on slightly humid (~50% humidity) days with no problem. Plus, a BMW tech friend said there's even a slightly permeable material built into the enclosure, so it's not meant to be fully sealed anyway. The cap just prevents excess moisture from getting in. So as long as you do it right, there's nothing to worry about

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
Jon.
First Lieutenant
Rep

Reassurance feels good
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #11
Makkasteez
1nt3n5ity
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

same thing happened to me, i got over it and kept them stock :]
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
+1. I'm with BimmerBob on this one. You gotta pay to play... IF your feeling luck go mod the AE (again). But next time you might be looking at a $2K+ bill for some new headights. Is it worth the risk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makkasteez View Post
same thing happened to me, i got over it and kept them stock :]
+1. I think with regards to the headlights... its best to play it safe here. They are just so damm much $$$$. Plus R&Ring the bumper cover, ect. Not worth it.

Another option might be to have your AE lights coded. I had mine coded for higher voltage. Basically the "coder" turns up teh voltage slightly so the AE run brighter. Not so much yellow but more whiter. Not as white as some AE bulbs... but its not bad. I've been running this way for about 10 months for no trouble. Thorsten at www.car-coding.de did mine - he lives in Munchen.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #13
Riley1524
Captain
Rep
Drives: A Slow Ass BMW

If installed correctly, there should be no problems at all. I have installed many different set ups in my car and friends cars as well, and none have failed. You just have to take your time and pay attention and it will be fine. I understand why some would be worried though being that these headlights cost so much