Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Dipped beam on 1M

The dark nights are starting to arrive as the seasons change. I have now had the opportunity to use my headlights in earnest and lets say on dipped beam i am not impressed. I have the active xenons and they are the worst i have had from BMW even my e46 is better The throw on dipped beam is very poor and i find myself constantly flicking from dip to full beam, never had this issue on the e46 or the Z4. Any body else have this issue ?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

Your dipped beams are set WAY too low by default. Do a search here for some photos of the adjustment bolts. I raised my Xenons up quite a bit, and now they are much better. I can actually see where I am going on a dark, twisty road. The caveat.... Bright xenons tend to dazzle oncoming car drivers, so I do get the occasional flash. A small price to pay for being able to see where I am going, and I get dazzled by almost every SUV, even with stock, normal headlights, because they are shining right into my eyes.

This was a worthwhile change to the car when I bought it. Had t do the same to the Lotus and MINI. Not sure why EU manufacturers are setting the lights so low.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

One other thing I might add is... the adaptive headlights ONLY work when you have the headlight switch to the AUTO position. When you manually switch the headlights on... you have static headlights - meaning they always are "locked' in the straight ahead position. When you leave the switch in AUTO your headlights will turn with the steering wheel - left and right.

I know you comments were about low vs high beams... but I just thought I would mention this. Many people don't realize thise feature. I agree with Mike, try adjusting your headlights up some. You just need a long 6mm hex (allen/impulse) tool to adjust them.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318d

Mine's are low too Denso, much lower than my previous 135. I asked the dealer to raise them but it came back the same. I can't recommend Inverness I'm afraid.

Must look for these screws...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Perhaps the settings were never updated from the 135. Are they essentially the same assembly? Perhaps the hardware is similar but the baseline height was never adjusted for the change in ride height/suspension on the 1SMC.
      09-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
KIYO
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupé

i had the same thing. I felt it was quite dangerous on the highways an night.

See my post how it will rise. Be sure not to blind other drivers.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=14
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Guys, thanks for all the feedback. I will need to find these screws as well as it has been to the dealer and came back ther same

Dackel thanks for the info on the adaptive lights, mines are always on auto

Kiyo, Thanks for the links and the pictures, i will check that out
Appreciate 0