BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-12-2015, 02:34 PM   #1
Segments
Aspiring 1'er
Rep
Drives: 2008 BSM 135i

Rear Pads and Rotors Replacement ?

Hey guys, so I recently changed my front rotors and pads, and the rears started squeaking so it's that next. I know everything is smaller on the rears, but i don't know what differences there are in the process as opposed to the fronts. I've seen just about every thread here about it; most dealing with fronts, but I do know there are some differences. If possible, can someone outline any different parts I might run into, as well as all tools needed ? Thanks a lot guys.
-Dan
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 12:08 AM   #2
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

The rears slide in, you don't remove the caliper from the knuckle.

Pull the two pins out (you may need to tap them out from the inside/back with a punch to get them started, then press on the clip and they'll slide out by hand, or wrap the end with a rag and use pliers if they're stuck, and/or use some WD40)
Pull the pad level sensor out carefully. Mine was stuck pretty good, had to use some WD40.
Pull out the spring clip, it will come out fairly easily once the pins are gone. Just a bit of sticky due to brake dust.
Pull out old pads.
Push pistons in for clearance just like the fronts.
Grease the back of your new pads, slide them in.
Replace clip.
Replace pins.

Avoid getting WD40 on the rotors and pads.
      05-23-2015, 11:11 PM   #3
Prolifik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

How do you reset the service warning for the pads?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 07:42 AM   #4
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Freon summarized it well. Rear pad replacement is actually simpler and quicker than the fronts, as calipers do not need to come off the bracket. Simply use a punch tool to push the guide pins half way in (outside to inside), then do the rest by hand.

I like to clean the area where the pads contact the calipers with a tooth brush and brake cleaner. I then use copper grease (high temp), to lay on a very thin coat of grease on all contact points.

I dont use my brake sensors anymore, and tie wrapped them out of the way, because I track my car, and service my brakes up to 4 times per year. Im allways aware of my pad wear status through visual inspection through the wheel spokes. I replace them when the pad media reaches/approaches the same thickness as the pad backing plate.
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
Dilmorecg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
The rears slide in, you don't remove the caliper from the knuckle.

Pull the two pins out (you may need to tap them out from the inside/back with a punch to get them started, then press on the clip and they'll slide out by hand, or wrap the end with a rag and use pliers if they're stuck, and/or use some WD40)
Pull the pad level sensor out carefully. Mine was stuck pretty good, had to use some WD40.
Pull out the spring clip, it will come out fairly easily once the pins are gone. Just a bit of sticky due to brake dust.
Pull out old pads.
Push pistons in for clearance just like the fronts.
Grease the back of your new pads, slide them in.
Replace clip.
Replace pins.

Avoid getting WD40 on the rotors and pads.
I just did mine about a week ago. Its pretty easy, just follow these steps for the pads. You will need to take the calipers off to replace the rotors. They are a little more difficult to pull off the hubs than the fronts because the e-brake is a drum brake inside the rear rotor so remember to disengage it. Just give it a little muscle and it will come off.
      05-26-2015, 02:04 AM   #6
Prolifik
Private First Class
Rep

Yes I've done all that successfully. How do I reset the warning on I drive for oil and rear pads? I can't figure it out
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 07:14 AM   #7
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolifik View Post
Yes I've done all that successfully. How do I reset the warning on I drive for oil and rear pads? I can't figure it out
Look in the "sticky" section. Dackelone goes through it step by step and it is very easy.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 05:18 PM   #8
Prolifik
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you. I must of missed that post. I'll try find it now.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 11:13 PM   #9
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the fat mobile

its pretty staightforward (as others have stated) I was able to do both front/rear rotors and pads in a couple hours

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...Brake_Pads.htm

that article helped me out as an initial guide (close enough per say)
Appreciate 0