BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-31-2008, 12:36 PM   #23
NOCede
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Thanks Terry .. any chance you can post a link to that post .. I'd like to read up ..

thanks,
Crowley
I think its against the forum rules..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 12:45 PM   #24
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS View Post
I don't think it is...

People post links to other forums all the time. :iono:
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 12:48 PM   #25
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
no worries ... if you want .. pm me the link .. I'll copy and paste into this thread the contents of that ..

thanks,
Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 01:01 PM   #26
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Here is the information from the other forum ..

Terry, This was on the 335i right? Do you know does the 135i have the same opening you are talking about at the end?

--------======= Quote from other forum below =======--------

Hey guys,

I spent yesterday and today making and testing various intake shrouds for the BMS filter. The shrouds were all a failure, but the testing uncovered something really interesting.

For the readings I would cruise for ~10 min on the highway @ 70mph to let temps stabilize and take an OBDII IAT reading, then accelerate 50-110 (private road) and record the highest IAT seen. I tested each a few times and testing was done on 91 octane with the JBX @ 100%, R off.

Stock airbox: 62 degrees ambient on the dash, 81 degrees IAT during cruise, peak of 108 degrees IAT under WOT. Tested many times with the same results.

BMS filter, no shroud: 64 degrees ambient on the dash, 80 degrees IAT during cruise, peak of 109 degrees IAT under WOT. Tested many times with the same results.

That's right, no significant difference between the two on IAT during steady state or WOT. All the shrouds I tested had the same result as the BMS filter with no shroud, and the stock airbox.

While I was poking around I did find a potential reason for why the BMS filter works so well. It's very close to some large openings in to the drivers side wheel well that must let a little cool air in (or hot air out).

I'm still mulling over the data...

--------===== END Quote from other forum below =====--------

Thanks,
Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 01:20 PM   #27
NOCede
Private
Rep

Right, testing was on a 335i. I forgot to check the 135i for those openings, anyone feel like opening their hood in the name of horsepower?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 05:06 AM   #28
Ferdinand
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
It fits great. I think we have the only 135i intake out right now.

Any mod can void a warranty if the dealer thinks it caused the problem. Protect yourself by removing it before service. Takes 15 minutes.
Why, on earth, should I buy this product. That open air-intake BMW gets hot-air (in stead of cold air!), which is very bad for performance. And that silly extra noice you get is for boys under 10 years of age. I am sorry but I won't recommend that product to anyone, not for performance (objective) and not for sound (subjective).
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #29
NOCede
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdinand View Post
Why, on earth, should I buy this product. That open air-intake BMW gets hot-air (in stead of cold air!), which is very bad for performance. And that silly extra noice you get is for boys under 10 years of age. I am sorry but I won't recommend that product to anyone, not for performance (objective) and not for sound (subjective).
Hi Ferdinand,

You're certainly welcome to your opinion. And the factory airbox performs quite well up to 350rwhp (even though you DO leave horsepower on the table).

But keep in mind its your opinion vs. our data. This intake has shown quicker 1/4 mile times, and dramatic dyno improvements. Our temperature data has shown no increase to the temp entering the throttle body vs. stock. The hot turbos and intercooler regulate the outlet air temp regardless of inlet temp variations.

Regarding sound, to some its a drawback, to most a benefit. I agree that aspect is very subjective. But the trade off is more induction noise for better performance.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 12:00 PM   #30
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Terry,
First thank you for spending so much time answering/reponding to questions.
Second, how much additional cabin noise during normal driving, or even acceleration, does the filter actually cause? Is it really that much different?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 12:07 PM   #31
NOCede
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red135 View Post
Terry,
First thank you for spending so much time answering/reponding to questions.
Second, how much additional cabin noise during normal driving, or even acceleration, does the filter actually cause? Is it really that much different?
The induction noise inside the cabin is definitely more noticeable (for better or worse), but it's much quieter than say a blow off valve you might hear on an aftermarket turbo car.

Here is a video I made of a prototype that was about 50% louder. The production filter kit is much quieter but its a similar type of noise.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #32
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep

Quote:
The induction noise inside the cabin is definitely more noticeable (for better or worse), but it's much quieter than say a blow off valve you might hear on an aftermarket turbo car.

Here is a video I made of a prototype that was about 50% louder. The production filter kit is much quieter but its a similar type of noise.

Unless your mic wasn't accurately conveying the level of sound, it didn't seem that loud. I would have the radio on anyway.
Now, if I could just get past the thought of uninstalling it prior to every sevice...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #33
frank2287
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Ferdinand,
Hot air vs. cold air on a turbo car doest really matter! with a performance intake if stock was 305hp you wont lose power! now if its cold you can def. make more power but with turbo's/forced induction doest make a big diff. nothing you can probably notice w/o seeing numbers!!

Now a question i have is how good do you think the BMW performance intake is??
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #34
NOCede
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red135 View Post
Unless your mic wasn't accurately conveying the level of sound, it didn't seem that loud. I would have the radio on anyway.
Now, if I could just get past the thought of uninstalling it prior to every sevice...
Install takes 15-20 min so its not bad. And most BMW owners don't realize it but your service is once per year. But you have to pay to play and that is a minor inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #35
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep

Quote:
Install takes 15-20 min so its not bad. And most BMW owners don't realize it but your service is once per year. But you have to pay to play and that is a minor inconvenience.
So true...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #36
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Right, testing was on a 335i. I forgot to check the 135i for those openings, anyone feel like opening their hood in the name of horsepower?

I have not confirmed this part Terry .. I wonder if the 135's will have the same results .. can you tell me where this opening is again .. I'll check this evening ..

thanks,
Crowley

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #37
NOCede
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
I have not confirmed this part Terry .. I wonder if the 135's will have the same results .. can you tell me where this opening is again .. I'll check this evening ..

thanks,
Crowley

Between the diverter valves and the fender on the driver side. It's easier to see during the day with light shining through from the wheel well. But perhaps with a flashlight.
Appreciate 0