BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Feli_330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18’ M2

Factory Paint Defect -What to do?

Okay, So I noticed a couple of days ago that some of the paint in my front bumper was bubbling up, then it cracked. So I have this huge (nail size) patch with no paint on my bumper, plus all around it the cracks keep expanding, with more bubbles showing up.

So I take it to the dealer, they say is a factory defect, they offer to paint the whole bumper.

Now my questions is.... the car is only 4 months old, I shouldn't be painting panels already. I am worried about paint mismatch, quality of the paint compared to factory in a couple of years, and of course the value of the car after such a repair. Should I accept their offer? should I contact BMW NA? Has anyone dealt with something like this before?

Your input will be greatly appreciated! Thnx
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Let them paint it, its the proper move at this time. The paint should blend easy since the car is so new and hasn't really experienced a lot of sunshine which can alter the color. As long as they use the right paint color code it should blend nicely, I wouldn't start to worry unless the whole car needs to be painted.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Järppä
Old fart
Finland
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xdrive25 + E53 X5 V8

No you shouldn't have to paint panels but this is common problem in 1-serie plastic piece's.

Is there any other option than paint hole bumper ? in my mind yes.
If i were you, i maybe gather every topic in here where we talk about bad paint surface and demand BMW to cover paint surface at every plastic parts, because i fear that after this bumper someday you notice that door handle or mirror cover or side skirt paint surface has same issue.

Be accurate after painting that color match is correct.

I cant understant why BMW don't do anything to this matter because we are living at 2012 year and problem has started when first 1-serie came out of factory (2007).

Here is other topic's:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718608
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655572

I think there is more at http://www.babybmw.net/

I didn't get BMW to cover my paint surface so next monday paint shop will paint front an rear bumper and side skirts so there goes 1000 €. Mirror and door handles have to wait because my ass can't handle those right now.

Last edited by Järppä; 08-29-2012 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
Gimlet
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 135i

Clicked on this b/c I am familiar with this issue...Jarrpa beat me to it. I had luck with BMW painting mine, mind you at the dealership expense, not BMW NA. Jarrpa not so much. IMO - let'em paint it and hope you don't have any other issues down the road. Take a look at the links posted above for more detail -
      08-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

If you dont accept their offer of having the bumper repainted, what do you think you could do? Ask for a new car?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

BMW bumpers are painted BEFORE the car is built, at the supplier's factory. Then the bumpers are shipped to Leipzig Werk for assembly. Btw... Audi does it the same way!! Just in time(parts supply) its called.

I don't think the supplier painted it - that badly. It does look pretty shabby! I bet what happened was the bumper was damage at the port(or entry) or at the dealer and they did a "spot" repair. The law varies from state to state... but if your car had a minor scrape before delivery... the dealer would not have to notify you. But check with your states laws.

Either way... your bumper needs painting. Just have your dealer take car of it. Maybe even push(!) for a new bumper cover and then have them paint that one. I would not have EVERY plastic part painted on the car. To me that sounds like asking for trouble!

Maybe you might want to take your car to a good body shop for a thorough inspection. Have them measure your car's paint thickness on every panel. Then work something out with your dealer and BMW NA.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
audimotion
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i/12 F250 CC PS/06 ML500

It is unfortunte, but wouldnt sweat it to have the dealer paint the bumper. The vehicle is new and color match should be perfect. Also, it should be guaranteed by the dealer/body shop against any defect down the road...like peeling and bubbling.
08 135i |Alpine White w/ Terra Boston Leather|Sport Pkg| Premium Pkg| Shadowline| Gloss Black Trim| Nav| Comfort Access| Active Steering| Steptronic| Htd Seats| Prem. Sound/Sirius| Park Distance| PPK 1|BMS 4LED|M3 Sway Bar
Appreciate 0